Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower cubical corner section?

Hi all,

First bit of d-i-y for a while.

In 2005 Mum bought a bathroom / shower suite in a Homebase sale but
very shortly after Dad was taken I'll and it all got left in it's
boxes in the garage.

Dad passed away in Feb and Mum (82) is now having stuff done, like the
kitchen and bathroom (just a big tidy up really as she's not sure if
she wants to move away / to a bungalow yet).

We have just unboxed the shower stuff to find 'Jacuzzi' have sent her
both a sliding door and pivoting door (which was supposed to be an end
'panel'). Ok, we can fix the extra door closed but unfortunately we
don't have the / a corner section / extrusion either.

So far, calls to Homebase / Jacuzzi / shower_cubical_suppliers and
plenty of Goggling have turned up nothing.

I even measured the section on a similar / current Homebase enclosure
but the panels all seem much thinner now days?

So, I was wondering if anyone happens to have a shower cubical that
uses a ~20 mm thick 'panel' and that has a 90 deg external extrusion /
corner where I might be able to get a spare please?

The wall extrusion fitting we have are an ally 'U' section with side
flange (for attaching to the walls) and the U is ~20mm opening and the
side 'cheeks' are about 35mm deep (I think they are quite deep to
allow for wall plumb adjustment). The section would ideally be at
least 1775 mm long (and white). ;-)

Cheers and thanks for your time in any case.

T i m

p.s. If push comes to shove and the true spirit of d-i-y, g, I may
trim off the side flanges from the two spare wall fitting extrusions
(with an angle grinder of course weg) leaving just the 'U' sections
that are the correct fit for these panels (the now non painted edges
could probably be lost under some silicone or plastic beading in the
final job). I could then joint the two U's together at 90 deg using a
length of 20 x 20 x 2(?) mm ally angle in the external opening and
then finishing it all off with some (ideally) white uPVC quadrant (or
some such. Like the 'nose' off a uPVC windowsill)? However, I can't
really start that till the tray is in place as I don't know how the
panels are supposed to sit in relation to each other (do they nearly
touch or did the proper corner make a bigger radius etc).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 11:26:06 +0100, T i m wrote:

p.s. If push comes to shove and the true spirit of d-i-y, g, I may
trim off the side flanges from the two spare wall fitting extrusions
(with an angle grinder of course weg) leaving just the 'U' sections
that are the correct fit for these panels (the now non painted edges
could probably be lost under some silicone or plastic beading in the
final job). I could then joint the two U's together at 90 deg using a
length of 20 x 20 x 2(?) mm ally angle in the external opening and
then finishing it all off with some (ideally) white uPVC quadrant (or
some such. Like the 'nose' off a uPVC windowsill)? However, I can't
really start that till the tray is in place as I don't know how the
panels are supposed to sit in relation to each other (do they nearly
touch or did the proper corner make a bigger radius etc).

That's what I'd do. The supplied extruded corners are all different
from different makers, from what I've seen and the chances of getting
exactly what you need are remote.
Once you've trimmed off the extra, you could bond the sections with
epoxy weld or similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 12:04:02 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 11:26:06 +0100, T i m wrote:

p.s. If push comes to shove and the true spirit of d-i-y, g, I may
trim off the side flanges from the two spare wall fitting extrusions
(with an angle grinder of course weg) leaving just the 'U' sections
that are the correct fit for these panels (the now non painted edges
could probably be lost under some silicone or plastic beading in the
final job). I could then joint the two U's together at 90 deg using a
length of 20 x 20 x 2(?) mm ally angle in the external opening and
then finishing it all off with some (ideally) white uPVC quadrant (or
some such. Like the 'nose' off a uPVC windowsill)? However, I can't
really start that till the tray is in place as I don't know how the
panels are supposed to sit in relation to each other (do they nearly
touch or did the proper corner make a bigger radius etc).

That's what I'd do.

Ok.

The supplied extruded corners are all different
from different makers, from what I've seen and the chances of getting
exactly what you need are remote.

So it seems. I spoke to an extruder who said that even if they had
made the sections for Jacuzzi, Jacuzzi would hold the rights to said
sections so they couldn't provide even one length, even if they had
the die.

Once you've trimmed off the extra, you could bond the sections with
epoxy weld or similar.

Yep. I was thinking of a few (blind) pop rivets to generally hold the
U's to the L and with some epoxy in there before I actually join them
together. Acid etch primer and a few coats of white enamel?

If as you say the actual relationship between the panel ends could
vary then there might be room for some uPVC / ally square section
(instead of the angle) or even some uPVC over ally tube (like the DG
boys use. That might make for a more gentle external 'corner' for old
Mum)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 14, 2012 11:26:06 AM UTC+1, T i m wrote:
[...]

(with an angle grinder of course <weg&gt leaving just the 'U' sections
that are the correct fit for these panels (the now non painted edges
could probably be lost under some silicone or plastic beading in the
final job). I could then joint the two U's together at 90 deg using a
length of 20 x 20 x 2(?) mm ally angle in the external opening and
then finishing it all off with some (ideally) white uPVC quadrant (or
some such. Like the 'nose' off a uPVC windowsill)? However, I can't
really start that till the tray is in place as I don't know how the
panels are supposed to sit in relation to each other (do they nearly
touch or did the proper corner make a bigger radius etc).

I may have one spare, although it would be silver. We have a Jacuzzi bifold door and side panel of about that age, presumably with corner post. The door was slightly damaged in shipping, so it is still sitting in our stockpile. Email me if a silver one would be OK, and I'll check if it is there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 07:33:45 -0700, andrew wrote:

I may have one spare, although it would be silver.

Ok.

We have a Jacuzzi
bifold door and side panel of about that age, presumably with corner
post.

Presumably but as we have never had one, don't know what it looks like
(exactly).

The door was slightly damaged in shipping, so it is still sitting
in our stockpile. Email me if a silver one would be OK, and I'll check
if it is there.

Yes it would! (please / thank you).

I'm actually round Mums atm so not setup for email but the email here
works if you are able to check it out and find it's suitable etc.

Just to confirm, the panels are about 20mm thick and the current wall
extrusions are 1775 high (but even a slightly shorter section would be
usable).

Thanks very much for this grain of hope. Mum has her fingers crossed. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 14 July 2012 18:19:21 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 07:33:45 -0700, andrew wrote:

> I may have one spare, although it would be silver.

Ok.

> We have a Jacuzzi
> bifold door and side panel of about that age, presumably with corner
> post.

Presumably but as we have never had one, don't know what it looks like
(exactly).

> The door was slightly damaged in shipping, so it is still sitting
> in our stockpile. Email me if a silver one would be OK, and I'll check
> if it is there.

Yes it would! (please / thank you).

I'm actually round Mums atm so not setup for email but the email here
works if you are able to check it out and find it's suitable etc.

Just to confirm, the panels are about 20mm thick and the current wall
extrusions are 1775 high (but even a slightly shorter section would be
usable).

Thanks very much for this grain of hope. Mum has her fingers crossed. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

I've found it. It is 1775mm high, and suitable for 20mm panels. We also have a matching fixed side panel. They are both in a matt silver (anodised aluminium) finish, with clear glass in the side panel.

Where are you? If we can arrange the logistics, it could be an option to swap our post and side panel for your pivot door? Otherwise posting the corner post should be easy enough.