Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default IKEA CFL bulb failed

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20198142/

bought 24/9/2010 - advertised as having 10,000 hours life.

Given it's in my office, so is lightly used, is it unreasonable of me to
be surprised that it's failed ?

Worth hassling them over ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20198142/

bought 24/9/2010 - advertised as having 10,000 hours life.

Given it's in my office, so is lightly used, is it unreasonable of me
to be surprised that it's failed ?

Worth hassling them over ?

Why would you pay £4 for something that costs a quid everywhere else?

Hardly worth making a phone call for - and even if they offer you a refund,
you'd need to go down there, wasting petrol to pick it up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 19:40:23 +0100, Phil L wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20198142/

bought 24/9/2010 - advertised as having 10,000 hours life.

Given it's in my office, so is lightly used, is it unreasonable of me
to be surprised that it's failed ?

Worth hassling them over ?

Why would you pay £4 for something that costs a quid everywhere else?

Hardly worth making a phone call for - and even if they offer you a
refund, you'd need to go down there, wasting petrol to pick it up.

A quick google doesn't reveal a mythical £1 variant ... and I'd be going
past the IKEA anyway tomorrow.

I was more curious as to whether a 22 month life - especially when
lightly used - was acceptable, given the 10,000 hr claim.

I am old enough to remember when the selling point of CFLs was not the
energy consumption, but the lifespan - IIRC they were called "long life
bulbs" when Tomorrows World demoed them ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

I would certainly give it a go. I have some that are over ten years
old, no idea of the hours.
I think the early ones were better (lifespan).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20198142/

bought 24/9/2010 - advertised as having 10,000 hours life.

Given it's in my office, so is lightly used, is it unreasonable of me
to be surprised that it's failed ?

Worth hassling them over ?

Why would you pay £4 for something that costs a quid everywhere else?

Hardly worth making a phone call for - and even if they offer you a
refund, you'd need to go down there, wasting petrol to pick it up.

A quick google doesn't reveal a mythical £1 variant ... and I'd be going
past the IKEA anyway tomorrow.

I was more curious as to whether a 22 month life - especially when
lightly used - was acceptable, given the 10,000 hr claim.

that is 8000 hrs give or take..if it was on ALL the time.

I am old enough to remember when the selling point of CFLs was not the
energy consumption, but the lifespan - IIRC they were called "long life
bulbs" when Tomorrows World demoed them ...

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20198142/

bought 24/9/2010 - advertised as having 10,000 hours life.

Given it's in my office, so is lightly used, is it unreasonable of me to
be surprised that it's failed ?

Worth hassling them over ?

A CFL, lightly used?
You're havin' a larf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 13, 7:40*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20198142/

bought 24/9/2010 - advertised as having 10,000 hours life.

Given it's in my office, so is lightly used, is it unreasonable of me
to be surprised that it's failed ?

Worth hassling them over ?

Why would you pay £4 for something that costs a quid everywhere else?

Hardly worth making a phone call for - and even if they offer you a refund,
you'd need to go down there, wasting petrol to pick it up.

Cheap CFL's are not claimed to be long life, just low energy and
likely slow start. Long life costs more.
Rusty
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20198142/

bought 24/9/2010 - advertised as having 10,000 hours life.

Given it's in my office, so is lightly used, is it unreasonable of me
to be surprised that it's failed ?

Worth hassling them over ?
Why would you pay £4 for something that costs a quid everywhere else?

Hardly worth making a phone call for - and even if they offer you a
refund, you'd need to go down there, wasting petrol to pick it up.

A quick google doesn't reveal a mythical £1 variant ... and I'd be
going past the IKEA anyway tomorrow.

I was more curious as to whether a 22 month life - especially when
lightly used - was acceptable, given the 10,000 hr claim.

that is 8000 hrs give or take..if it was on ALL the time.

my calculator tells me there are 8760 hours in a year.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 13:41:31 -0700 (PDT), therustyone
wrote:

On Jul 13, 7:40*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20198142/

bought 24/9/2010 - advertised as having 10,000 hours life.

Given it's in my office, so is lightly used, is it unreasonable of me
to be surprised that it's failed ?

Worth hassling them over ?

Why would you pay £4 for something that costs a quid everywhere else?

Hardly worth making a phone call for - and even if they offer you a refund,
you'd need to go down there, wasting petrol to pick it up.

Cheap CFL's are not claimed to be long life, just low energy and
likely slow start. Long life costs more.
Rusty

It's all relative and you're not saying what you are comparing the
cheap ones to.
GLS lightbuls were often quoted as having an average life of only 1000
hours, I should think any CFL could beat that.

The industry no longer seems to quote life expectancy in those terms,
now it's often x years for a daily use of y hours.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

A quick google doesn't reveal a mythical £1 variant ... and I'd be
going past the IKEA anyway tomorrow.

Quite a few of the pound shops have them now, sometimes two-packs, have a
look around.

I was more curious as to whether a 22 month life - especially when
lightly used - was acceptable, given the 10,000 hr claim.

claims are just that - claims - they rely on people lobbing them in a skip
instead of keeping a reciept for years on end in the hope of catching them
out

I am old enough to remember when the selling point of CFLs was not the
energy consumption, but the lifespan - IIRC they were called "long
life bulbs" when Tomorrows World demoed them ...

I've known the old fashioned tungsten type bulbs to last in excess of 6 or 7
years in normal use in a landing, bedroom etc.

At the end of the day, don't imagine for a moment that if you pay 4 times
the normal price for what is a dirt cheap item, that it will last 4 times as
long - it won't - crappy biro's costing a quid for ten are exactly the same
as crappy biro's that are 75p each, you are being sold the idea that they're
not cheap crap, but that's exactly what they are, it's just that the ******s
selling them for 75p are adding a 'lifetime gaurantee' or other similar
bull**** that no **** is ever going to question for the sake of claiming
back their hard earned 76 pee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 13, 2012 7:25:56 PM UTC+1, Jethro_uk wrote:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20198142/

bought 24/9/2010 - advertised as having 10,000 hours life.

Given it's in my office, so is lightly used, is it unreasonable of me to
be surprised that it's failed ?

Worth hassling them over ?

Yes. Their customer service is generally very good, so they will probably just send you a gift card refund.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Jul 13, 7:40*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

Depends which way they're mounted too. Base down keeps the
electronics cool, base up it cooks.

Rusty
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Jul 13, 7:40*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

Ah. Very interesting thought that. Sounds logical.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No they would no doubt send him a carton of em to keep him sweet.
Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Phil L" wrote in message
news
Jethro_uk wrote:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20198142/

bought 24/9/2010 - advertised as having 10,000 hours life.

Given it's in my office, so is lightly used, is it unreasonable of me
to be surprised that it's failed ?

Worth hassling them over ?

Why would you pay £4 for something that costs a quid everywhere else?

Hardly worth making a phone call for - and even if they offer you a
refund, you'd need to go down there, wasting petrol to pick it up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2012 08:26 andrew wrote:

Yes. Their customer service is generally very good

Depends.

I only got an acceptable response to a complaint about some expensive
furniture after I emailed the President of IKEA in Sweden! They didn't
admit he had kicked their backsides and would only say that their
supervisor had asked them to call me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends which way they're mounted too. Base down keeps the
electronics cool, base up it cooks.

Rusty

Also the CFLs in the three lanterns I have outside last far longer
than the ones I use indoors.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2012 01:20, Phil L wrote:
I've known the old fashioned tungsten type bulbs to last in excess of 6 or 7
years in normal use in a landing, bedroom etc.

I've just changed one in our utility room. It gets used for a few
minutes every day. (except this once when I left it on all night!). I'm
sure _I_ didn't put a 100W bulb in a 60W fitting, and we've been in this
house for 20 years.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
therustyone writes:
On Jul 13, 10:30*pm, Graham. wrote:
The industry no longer seems to quote life expectancy in those terms,
now it's often x years for a daily use of y hours.

I think you'll find in the small print how many hours assumed
per day (and it's usually rather low).

Depends which way they're mounted too. Base down keeps the
electronics cool, base up it cooks.

IME, failure of the electronics is relatively rare (perhaps 5%
of CFLs I change). Some higher powered ones (25W) do specify
cap-up may shorten life. Enclosed fittings have a similar effect
in any orientation.

Some 12 year old 20W IKEA ones have lasted very well in enclosed
bathroom fittings. I think the first died at 10 years old, and
I managed to swap just the tube part from an identical one with
the wrong lamp base, so it's a cut-n-shut, part 2 years old, part
12 years old. All the others are fully 12 years old and still
going, although a bedroom one which gets lots of use is dimmer
now, and the tube noticably darker throughout whole length.
Of course, this is no recommendation for current IKEA CFLs which
are a different design now.

IKEA do have some good value LED retrofits, although they are not
super high output ones.

I currently buy Feit CFLs from Costco. Their 23W ones have superb
light output (real 100W equiv - could even be more than a 240V
100W lamp - must do a check sometime). I've had them operating
in enclosed fittings at elevated temperatures, and had no electronics
failures. I did have one instant failure at first switch-on, but
that's in using probably some 60 or so of them. They also do a
60W equivalent (15W IIRC), and I've had 10 of these those operating
cap-up in semi-enclosed fittings without failures.

Actually, I stock up on the Feit ones, as Costco go out of stock
and it takes months to get new stock. Feit are US-based (where they
are known much better than here), and I presume Costco get a special
bulk load of 240V ones made up for shipment to the UK.

--
Andrew Gabriel