Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mower engine trouble

Hi All,

I have a Mountfield mower (originally bought from B&Q around 5 years ago) which has a Briggs and Straton engine. All has been well until 2 events...
1. We had a load of building work done and the mower got piled under some other gardening gear and the 2 springs on the carb stretched (net result mower would start etc. but not run so smoothly)
2. The builders used a fuel can for Diesel and I mistakenly put it in the mower . Net result tried to start mower (obviously failed miserably) realised my mistake, emptied the tank, filled with petrol. Mower eventually started and I mowed the lawn (albeit with clouds of black smoke!!).

I used the mower a few times after the diesel episode, and although on starting it would have some black smoke, during normal operation, it was smoke free - still not running right though.

All of a sudden, it started conking out after around 10 mins of usage. Taking the plug out revealed it was caked in soot. Cleaning it got the mower going agin for 10 mins... So I...
1. changed the springs on the carb
2. cleaned the air filter
3. replaced the plug
4. got fresh petrol

None of this seems to have made a difference except for the running duration has gone up from 10 mins to enough to mow my lawn (probably an hour and a half or so). Recently though... the 10 mins duration has returned and the same coked up plug and clean remedy!!!

Anyone any idea what I could try next? Should I scrap it?

thanks in advance for your help

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 01:19:03 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell wrote:

Anyone any idea what I could try next? Should I scrap it?

Assuming that it's not using oil, take the head off and decoke it.

Diesel can do funny things to rubber that petrol doesn't. It might be
worth inspecting the diaphram/gasket that is probably between the tank
and carb. This has a couple of flap valves and fuel pump membrane.

How much petrol has gone through the system since the diesel incident?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It probably need the carburettor diaphragm replacing.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

Just a thought, could the piston rings have got gummed up due to the fuel
mix up and now it's burning engine oil (causing the coked up plug)?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 6, 2012 10:15:55 AM UTC+1, Tim wrote:
Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

Thanks all for your replies.... In answer to the various questions...
1. On the front of the engine is a lever near the springs which when pushed seems to speed up/ slow down the engine. It is currently on "full bast" and when turned down, the spluttering seems to be worse.
2. Since the diesel incident, it has probably gone through about 6 tank fulls of petrol
3. It doesn't seem to be using any engine oil (I'll double check again tonight). Last time I looked, it didn't seem to have used any since I bought the thing.

Another interesting (maybe) thing I forgot to mention is that it seems to start very well. From cold it has 10 priming pumps and a good strong pull (or 2) and it fires. Once warm, it restarts first time with a light pull of the cord. (except of course when the plug is all coked up!).

BTW - in case relevant, the plug is covered with a black powder rather than a baked on coke/ oil deposit.

thanks again

Lee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

Ah, just running rich then. Air filter choked possibly or as others have
said, maybe the diaphram in the carburettor.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

sound like its running on the choke.

That SHOULD be a manual affair on a B & S.

check the cable is not buggered.

thanks in advance for your help

Lee.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 6, 2012 10:54:56 AM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

Air filter is a yellow sponge thing which I cleaned and replaced. Also tried running it briefly without one just to see and it didn't make much of a difference.

Choke being constantly on sounds possible especially since the other springs were knackered. Any idea how I would check whether it is on/ turn it off?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Anyone any idea what I could try next? Should I scrap it?

sound like its running on the choke.

That SHOULD be a manual affair on a B & S.

Depends on the model. See for example
http://www.mcculloch.com/uk/products...wers/m40-450c/
Notice the complete lack of any choke lever on the picture,
and matching lack of any mention of it in the user manual.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 03:02:35 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell wrote:

Choke being constantly on sounds possible especially since the other
springs were knackered. Any idea how I would check whether it is on/
turn it off?

If it has a choke, it probably doesn't as it has the primer button which
squirts fuel into the carb to enable cold start. My B&S mower doesn't
have a choke. I found out with an ancient Honda engine with manual choke
that with these small engines, once they have run for a few seconds,
don't need choke.

It might be worth checking the setup of the springs/air paddles/bits of
bent tin. But it does appear to be running rich, does it hunt at all?
Mine started running a bit rich and hunting, that was down to a stuck
flap valve in the previously mentioned carb diaphgram/gasket.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Anyone any idea what I could try next? Should I scrap it?

sound like its running on the choke.

That SHOULD be a manual affair on a B & S.

Depends on the model. See for example
http://www.mcculloch.com/uk/products...wers/m40-450c/
Notice the complete lack of any choke lever on the picture,
and matching lack of any mention of it in the user manual.

If it has no manual choke it may have an automatic one. Some B&S engines
have a spring loaded choke butterfly just after the air filter. The airflow
is supposed to hold it open once the engine is running.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 6, 2012 12:44:53 PM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Anyone any idea what I could try next? Should I scrap it?

sound like its running on the choke.

That SHOULD be a manual affair on a B & S.

Depends on the model. See for example
http://www.mcculloch.com/uk/products...wers/m40-450c/
Notice the complete lack of any choke lever on the picture,
and matching lack of any mention of it in the user manual.

If it has no manual choke it may have an automatic one. Some B&S engines
have a spring loaded choke butterfly just after the air filter. The airflow
is supposed to hold it open once the engine is running.

Mike

Hi All... this is the manual if it helps....

http://www.servicelink.org.uk/upload...e/8d94261b.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes a neighbour has this reoccuring issue with holes getting blocked. One
would have thought by now some proper breathing holes somewhere where they
don't get blocked might have emerged.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote:

[...]

My mower with a B&S engine started cutting out after 20 minutes or so
running. Turned out that the little breather holes in the filler cap
on the petrol tank were blocked with years of gunk, grass sludge etc.
Cleaning them out cured the problem.

--

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2012 09:19, Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

When I had a problem setting up the B&S engine on a mower I bought at a
car boot sale, I contacted B&S - and a nice man called called Ian Green
emailed me some setting up instructions. [My mower doesn't have a
throttle cable - just a bent lever on the carb which I unbent before
realising what it did!]

This was less than 2 years ago, so hopefully Ian is still around. His
contact details are/we

Ian Green
Service Technician

Briggs & Stratton UK Ltd.
Road Four, Winsford Industrial Estate
Winsford, Cheshire, CW7 3QN, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1606 866488
Fax: +44 (0)1606 862210
Mobile: +44 (0)7595 272774
Email:

I'm sure he'd give you some helpful advice over the phone if you gave
him a call.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 1:16*pm, Lee Nowell wrote:
On Friday, July 6, 2012 12:44:53 PM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Anyone any idea what I could try next? *Should I scrap it?

sound like its running on the choke.

That SHOULD be a manual affair on a B & S.

Depends on the model. See for example
http://www.mcculloch.com/uk/products...wers/m40-450c/
Notice the complete lack of any choke lever on the picture,
and matching lack of any mention of it in the user manual.

If it has no manual choke it may have an automatic one. Some B&S engines
have a spring loaded choke butterfly just after the air filter. The airflow
is supposed to hold it open once the engine is running.

Mike

Hi All... this is the manual if it helps....

http://www.servicelink.org.uk/upload...e/8d94261b.pdf

That was useful, Lee. My mower is not a Mountfield - at least it's
not called that but may just be a badged one, but it does look as if
it uses the same engine. After a good half dozen years mine started
hunting noticeable all of a sudden several months ago, so the
discussion here is well appreciated.

Does someone know how to get hold of a workshop manual to show how to
dismantle the carburettor,etc ?

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

Does someone know how to get hold of a workshop manual to show how to
dismantle the carburettor,etc ?

Undo screws. Take bits out. Replace bits if necessary. Assembly is the
reverse of disassembly. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:
robgraham wrote:

Does someone know how to get hold of a workshop manual to show how to
dismantle the carburettor,etc ?

Undo screws. Take bits out. Replace bits if necessary. Assembly is the
reverse of disassembly. ;-)

Tim

It really is that simple. take photos as you do it. So you know where
the ping****its go..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

Does someone know how to get hold of a workshop manual to show how to
dismantle the carburettor,etc ?

Rob

youtube loads to choose from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nzi...eature=related

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:

[...]

Thanks for starting this thread. I have an old mower in the garage, with
a Briggs and Stratton engine, and when I managed to get it going, it
only idled at full throttle, and died at anything less. A carb.
inspection was already planned, now I have some more information
available.
I had a different mower once, that developed engine problems, it would
idle fine but not run at speed. It turned out to be a plugged carb. jet.
A thin piece of wire CAREFULLY pushed up through it cleared it out, and
fixed it.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lee
Nowell wrote

Anyone any idea what I could try next? Should I scrap it?

The outer of the throttle/choke cable not being held firmly? I've had
to use cable ties to fix the cables to the handle. Before fully
tightening the ties start the motor, adjust the throttle position and
pull on the cable outer to set the correct speed.

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 July 2012 09:53:38 UTC+1, Alan wrote:
In message , Lee
Nowell wrote

Anyone any idea what I could try next? Should I scrap it?

The outer of the throttle/choke cable not being held firmly? I've had
to use cable ties to fix the cables to the handle. Before fully
tightening the ties start the motor, adjust the throttle position and
pull on the cable outer to set the correct speed.

--
Alan

Hi All,

I have just stripped it down and discovered the following....
- valves and piston caked in soot (now cleaned)
- fuel filters a few bits in but nothing to write home about
- diaphragm started to peel away from the rubber backing (ordering a new one now!!).

So, looking like the diaphragm is the culprit.

One question though... Since I have taken the head off, do I need to replace the head gasket/ put some gasket sealer on it or just bolt it back on?

thanks all and I will report back once the new diaphragm is fitted.

thanks

Lee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 02:36:43 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell wrote:

One question though... Since I have taken the head off, do I need to
replace the head gasket/ put some gasket sealer on it or just bolt it
back on?

Yes, clean off the faces carefully and either use a new gasket and gasket
goop suitable for the type of gasket (was there one in there when you
took the head off) or Hylomar Blue.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2012 12:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 02:36:43 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell wrote:

One question though... Since I have taken the head off, do I need to
replace the head gasket/ put some gasket sealer on it or just bolt it
back on?

Yes, clean off the faces carefully and either use a new gasket and gasket
goop suitable for the type of gasket (was there one in there when you
took the head off) or Hylomar Blue.

Also, if it tended to 'hunt', check the governor while you've got it
apart. This is a very crude affair, consisting of a spring-loaded vane
under the engine cover. As the engine speeds up, the vane gets blown
into a position where its spring tries to close the throttle - so you
get a sort of dynamic equilibrium, with roughly constant speed,
regardless of load. You can sometimes get a build-up of crud under the
cover which prevents the vane from moving freely.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 7, 12:04*am, Mark wrote:
robgraham wrote:

Does someone know how to get hold of a workshop manual to show how to
dismantle the carburettor,etc ?

Rob

youtube loads to choose from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nzi...eature=related

Going Off Topic a bit I'm afraid, but can anyone explain why I can't
get YouTube to work - I've been getting a message for a day or so now
saying that "An error occurred. Please try again later"

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
Going Off Topic a bit I'm afraid, but can anyone explain why I can't
get YouTube to work - I've been getting a message for a day or so now
saying that "An error occurred. Please try again later"

From reading elsewhere, the latest Flash update (version 11.3) refuses
to play nicely with the Realplayer 15 downloader. Going back to Flash
version 10 cured the problem for me on Vista and 7.

Oldapps have it cached he-

http://www.oldapps.com/flash_player....lash_player=10

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 7, 6:37*pm, John Williamson
wrote:
robgraham wrote:
Going Off Topic a bit I'm afraid, but can anyone explain why I can't
get YouTube to work - I've been getting a message for a day or so now
saying that "An error occurred. *Please try again later"

*From reading elsewhere, the latest Flash update (version 11.3) refuses
to play nicely with the Realplayer 15 downloader. Going back to Flash
version 10 cured the problem for me on Vista and 7.

Oldapps have it cached he-

http://www.oldapps.com/flash_player....lash_player=10

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Thanks John - I'll go and pursue.
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 July 2012 17:22:44 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Hi Roger,

What do you mean by "hunting"? When I first had the issues, I replaced both of the springs (at £5 each!). Oddly though, the springs appear too loose to actually do anything. My engine does have a plastic bit by the engine (fan) as you say connected via these springs to the carb.

thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 02:43:00 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell wrote:

What do you mean by "hunting"?

Fairly regular speeding up and slowing down all by itself, no adjustments
to throttle or changes to the load on the engine. The period between
maxima can be anything from a a second or two to tens of seconds, it may
almost stall at the minima.

When I first had the issues, I replaced both of the springs (at £5
each!). Oddly though, the springs appear too loose to actually do
anything.

That is how they are supposed to be, doesn't look right but does work...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

By the sound of it, it does hunt but for 10's of seconds at least. Could even be for mins. It is a little hard to tell as the engine runs so unevenly.

Would this be the diaphragm or something else?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

robgraham wrote:
Going Off Topic a bit I'm afraid, but can anyone explain why I can't
get YouTube to work - I've been getting a message for a day or so now
saying that "An error occurred. *Please try again later"

*From reading elsewhere, the latest Flash update (version 11.3) refuses
to play nicely with the Realplayer 15 downloader. Going back to Flash
version 10 cured the problem for me on Vista and 7.

Oldapps have it cached he-

http://www.oldapps.com/flash_player....lash_player=10

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Thanks John - I'll go and pursue.
Rob

OK - replying to my own posting. I found that the problem was related
to Chrome only - if I used Firefox it was OK. A bit of Googling found
that this wasn't an unknown problem and the recommended solution was
to go into the 'Spanner'/Settings/Advanced/Content Settings/Cookies
and Site Data .... and then search for and delete all the YouTube
cookies.

Rob