Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which Eurolock?

I'm going to replace the locks on my doors and next door's (doors). They are
about 21 years old and of a type very easy to bump/snap (the neighbour's
front lock has ~15mm sticking out as it was changed for the wrong size!).

I've found 3 types and wonder which would be the best. Apart from price,
they have different designs to combat snapping.

The Avocet can be snapped on a deliberate slit, leaving the lock operable
from the inside
https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/inde... ducts_id=794

The UAP is a /lot/ cheaper but appears to have all the attributes required
http://supplies.trulypvc.com/product...xtraction.aspx

The 3rd. type (can't see a name as such) has a hardened pin to reinforce the
barrel so that it can't be snapped
http://www.handlestore.com/category/...-Door-Locks/0/
The price is between the other 2.

Any opinions/facts on these please, before I spend quite a lot of money?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2012 17:43, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Evva 3ks get good reviews and can be keyed-alike for not much additional
cost.
Google Saunderson Security (no connection)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , PeterC
writes
I'm going to replace the locks on my doors and next door's (doors). They are
about 21 years old and of a type very easy to bump/snap (the neighbour's
front lock has ~15mm sticking out as it was changed for the wrong size!).

I've found 3 types and wonder which would be the best. Apart from price,
they have different designs to combat snapping.

The Avocet can be snapped on a deliberate slit, leaving the lock operable
from the inside
https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/inde...nfo&cPath=163_
185&products_id=794

The UAP is a /lot/ cheaper but appears to have all the attributes required
http://supplies.trulypvc.com/product...euro-cylinder-
lock-anti-bump-anti-drill-anti-pick-anti-extraction.aspx

The 3rd. type (can't see a name as such) has a hardened pin to reinforce the
barrel so that it can't be snapped
http://www.handlestore.com/category/...-Door-Locks/0/
The price is between the other 2.

Any opinions/facts on these please, before I spend quite a lot of money?

I assume you're using euro locks cos you've got placcy doors?

The holy grail if you must use euro is a cylinder guard with a bolt
through feature or to have a very beefy handle that incorporates one.

Have a search for upvc euro "cylinder guard" but good luck as I don't
think they have really taken off yet for plastic doors due to their
inherent weakness to attack.

This one did come up on a search but I don't rate it that highly as it
doesn't bolt through the door:

http://www.securistyle.co.uk/products/cylinder-guard

You may also want to look at their PAS 24 (secure) door sets but they
don't show the internal detail of the external handle so I can't see if
it's any good or not:

http://www.securistyle.co.uk/product...y/door-handles

No supplier info either I'm afraid.

On the cylinders you mention:

On the Avocet you're paying for the dimples and they have a lovely big
key slot just right for ramming a screwdriver in and butchering or
maliciously blocking.

The UAP is ok and would do with a good cylinder guard handle.

The last one is the toughest of the three IMO but suffers from the same
large key slot problem as the Avocet. From the BS license number quoted
on the supplier's site it appears to be made by Magnum Superior Locks.
If it is the one linked to in this pdf (2MB) then it is quite a lock for
the money but don't expect to get copy keys too easily:

http://www.magnumsuperior.ch/Documen...%202011_EN.pdf

If you think those cylinders are expensive, expect to have a fit at the
cost of beefy, guarded door sets.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred writes

If you think those cylinders are expensive, expect to have a fit at the
cost of beefy, guarded door sets.

Ah, these aren't too bad if they fit:

http://www.handlestore.com/products/...oor-Handle/MG/
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 18:23:40 +0100, Nospam wrote:

[...]

Yikes! Four of those come to £280 - bit too much for me, but thanks for the
link.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 22:40:15 +0100, fred wrote:

In article , PeterC
writes
[...]

Yes, early '90s type.

SNIP of v. useful info and links.

If you think those cylinders are expensive, expect to have a fit at the
cost of beefy, guarded door sets.

I suppose that there's no point in exceeding the capabilities of the door by
too big a margin, so a lot of expensive hardware might be all that's left
standing after an attack!
We're in a village that's (touch wood) quite 'quiet' from this aspect, so
it's really a matter of stopping the enthusiastic amateur that's been
watching educational vids on u-bend.
One major factor for the change is that my neighbour's front lock is visible
from the road and, with a lot of cylinder sticking out, is just asking for a
game of snap.

Thanks for all the info., especially on the cylinders. I wondered about that
big slot on two of them - just asking for a steel dildo or superglue 'lube'!

I'll probably, on this info., go for the UAP - it's the cheapest as well
:-))
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , PeterC
writes

I suppose that there's no point in exceeding the capabilities of the door by
too big a margin, so a lot of expensive hardware might be all that's left
standing after an attack!
We're in a village that's (touch wood) quite 'quiet' from this aspect, so
it's really a matter of stopping the enthusiastic amateur that's been
watching educational vids on u-bend.
One major factor for the change is that my neighbour's front lock is visible
from the road and, with a lot of cylinder sticking out, is just asking for a
game of snap.

A big problem is that most UPVC locking systems aren't made to suit
close-in bolt-through furniture so they rely on widely spaced screws on
narrow handles, it'll never take much time with a jemmy to take the
outer protection off. The other is that the UPVC skin is flexible
allowing levers to by hammered in.

The tip I forgot was that you can get differing lengths of cylinder
including asymmetric ones so whip out the current ones (a 2min job) and
see if they're longer than they need to be and so asking for trouble.
The shortest you'll get for decent 6 pin security is 30mm + 10mm cam +
30mm, normally quoted as 35+35.

Thanks for all the info., especially on the cylinders. I wondered about that
big slot on two of them - just asking for a steel dildo or superglue 'lube'!

I'll probably, on this info., go for the UAP - it's the cheapest as well
:-))

Yes, a decent compromise although much improved with the handle combo
that I posted in my second post, would that fit? I'm sure someone else
will sell them in other than gold!

If you can't run to a more secure handle then you could fill the hollow
outer handle with glass filled resin (eg Isopon P40) to make it a bit
less flimsy, better still add a loop of piano wire or similar in the mix
to reinforce it further. An easy job really, hold the handle in workmate
or soft vice, add mould exclusions around the moving handle parts and
put in an old greased up euro cylinder and fill the handle like it's a
bodywork void.

I have made up a cylinder guard from laminated steel with the euro
profile punched out but that is an enthusiasts job ;-)

Good luck.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred writes
In article , PeterC
writes

I'll probably, on this info., go for the UAP - it's the cheapest as well
:-))

Yes, a decent compromise although much improved with the handle combo
that I posted in my second post, would that fit? I'm sure someone else
will sell them in other than gold!

Sorry to follow up yet again.

Interesting video review of the Hoppe security handle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcBj8_aIv-g

I noticed a few things I didn't like about it but it's still a lot
better than the standard offering.

Video posted by the guys at Locksonline, nice bunch but their prices are
a little higher than some.

http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalo...e_215mm. html

All links found on a search for: Hoppe security uPVC door handle
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 23:33:56 +0100, fred wrote:

In article , fred writes

If you think those cylinders are expensive, expect to have a fit at the
cost of beefy, guarded door sets.

Ah, these aren't too bad if they fit:

http://www.handlestore.com/products/...oor-Handle/MG/

I need some new handles as mine have the plastic insert top and bottom and
the front door is in full sun. ATM the handle is there mostly by habit!

A problem is that the handles are different from the modern ones, so I'm
limited by what will fit. I'll look at those that you've posted and see if
they'll be OK. At present I've found these that'll fit and appear to be
cast:
http://www.handlestore.com/products/...ever-Lever/MS/

Many thanks for your 2 posts after this one - I'm learning a lot!

Now I just have to find some of the various kepps and cockspurs that I need
to refurbish my neighbour's 2 doors. I like to look after her a bit - no,
not that way!. Although her current boyfriend is a senior officer in the
Met. he lives too far away to be doing this sort of thing.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away