Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Basement drain - block it up?

There is a culvert near our property and a drain in our basement.

Under heavy rain, water will occasionally come up the drain. In the past
the amount has been small, a minor inconvenience with a mop, but lately
it's been much more dramatic.
Last week there was about 18 inches of water down there, which
eventually drained back out leaving everything covered in silt.
Yesterday it ****ed down again, there wasn't as much water but it had
sewage in it.

So can anyone thing of a good reason not to block this drain up?

I get that water can come into the basement by other means but given
that it never has I reckon it would be best to block theh drain and use
a pump if it became necessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 13:59:30 +0100, R D S wrote:

There is a culvert near our property and a drain in our basement.

Under heavy rain, water will occasionally come up the drain. In the past
the amount has been small, a minor inconvenience with a mop, but lately
it's been much more dramatic.
Last week there was about 18 inches of water down there, which
eventually drained back out leaving everything covered in silt.
Yesterday it ****ed down again, there wasn't as much water but it had
sewage in it.

So can anyone thing of a good reason not to block this drain up?

my worry would be that if water can't come out of *that* drain, where
*would* it come out of .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 29, 1:59*pm, R D S wrote:
You can install one way
There is a culvert near our property and a drain in our basement.

Under heavy rain, water will occasionally come up the drain. In the past
the amount has been small, a minor inconvenience with a mop, but lately
it's been much more dramatic.
Last week there was about 18 inches of water down there, which
eventually drained back out leaving everything covered in silt.
Yesterday it ****ed down again, there wasn't as much water but it had
sewage in it.

So can anyone thing of a good reason not to block this drain up?

I get that water can come into the basement by other means but given
that it never has I reckon it would be best to block theh drain and use
a pump if it became necessary.

You can buy and install one-way valves. Lets the water out but not
in. Example.
http://www.measurit.co.uk/?oo=0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/12 15:09, Jethro_uk wrote:

my worry would be that if water can't come out of *that* drain, where
*would* it come out of .....

There are basements under all the shops in the row, the neighbours can
have my share!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/12 17:14, harry wrote:
You can buy and install one-way valves. Lets the water out but not
in. Example.
http://www.measurit.co.uk/?oo=0

Interesting.

All i'm presented with though is a 5 inch hole in the floor, so would
have to come up with an idea of how to firmly attach something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
There is a culvert near our property and a drain in our basement.

Under heavy rain, water will occasionally come up the drain. In the past
the amount has been small, a minor inconvenience with a mop, but lately
it's been much more dramatic.
Last week there was about 18 inches of water down there, which eventually
drained back out leaving everything covered in silt.
Yesterday it ****ed down again, there wasn't as much water but it had
sewage in it.

So can anyone thing of a good reason not to block this drain up?

Most obviously if you get a burst water pipe in the basement.

Corse that's less likely than your drain backing up.

I get that water can come into the basement by other means but given that
it never has I reckon it would be best to block theh drain and use a pump
if it became necessary.

Its possible to do a removable blockage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 29, 6:10*pm, R D S wrote:
On 29/06/12 17:14, harry wrote:

You can buy and install one-way valves. Lets the water out but not
in. *Example.
http://www.measurit.co.uk/?oo=0

Interesting.

All i'm presented with though is a 5 inch hole in the floor, so would
have to come up with an idea of how to firmly attach something.

Any solution is going to involve some work/expense.
There are no magic wands.
You will have to see what the various manufacturers recommend.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 30, 5:47*am, harry wrote:
On Jun 29, 6:10*pm, R D S wrote:

On 29/06/12 17:14, harry wrote:

You can buy and install one-way valves. Lets the water out but not
in. *Example.
http://www.measurit.co.uk/?oo=0

Interesting.

All i'm presented with though is a 5 inch hole in the floor, so would
have to come up with an idea of how to firmly attach something.

Any solution is going to involve some work/expense.
There are no magic wands.
You will have to see what the various manufacturers recommend.

FFS....

dimension of drain pipe presented?

inflatable drain testing bung - inflated & left in situ? could be
deflated to allow for the odd swill out?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2012 13:59, R D S wrote:
Under heavy rain, water will occasionally come up the drain.

Thanks for all the input.

What I have done is connected a pipe approx 3 foot long to the drain
hole. The drain hole is actually 4 inch so got one of those rubber
flanged things to shove in it and connected a length of soil pipe to it.

Given the way it fills up, slowly and without any pressure behind it, I
am assuming that it follows the level of some source elsewhere and that
now a level will rise in the pipe.

Fingers crossed.