Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using grain filler after sandblasting oak wall cabinet

Hello,

I've done a search here after didn't really find out what I was looking for..
I recently bought a dark-oak wall cabinet, which I had sandblasted, to bring back the original light-oak colour. I chose this method instead of dipping because I was advised that dipping would not be good for oak, especially where some of the pieces are veneered.

I would like to fill the grooves and try to achieve a smooth finish before varnishing. I was reading up about grain filling, and I don't really know how to go about it.

Googling gave me some results:
This video uses a thick paste, that also darkens the wood, which defeats the purpose:
http://www.ehow.com/video_4418243_fi...ure-grain.html
This article uses a paste filler:
http://www.am-wood.com/finishes/filler.html
This article discusses four ways: repeated coats of varnish, prepared water-based filler, an oil slurry and commercial oil-based paste filler:
http://www.woodmagazine.com/material...ect-finishing/

My local DIY shop sells a paint-on filler. The shop assistants don't really know how to use it. If I use this filler, should the surface be horizontal, to allow the filler to stay in the grain? Will the filler darken the wood?

Confused...

Paul

Many thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This article discusses four ways: repeated coats of varnish, prepared water-based filler, an oil slurry and commercial oil-based paste filler:http://www.woodmagazine.com/material...lling-grain-fo...

My local DIY shop sells a paint-on filler. The shop assistants don't really know how to use it. If I use this filler, should the surface be horizontal, to allow the filler to stay in the grain? Will the filler darken the wood?

Confused...

Paul

Many thanks

Paul - can I suggest you post this query also in one of the boards of
the UKWorkshop forum (www.ukworkshop.co.uk).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 23/06/2012 09:04, robgraham wrote:
On Jun 23, 8:58 am, wrote:
[...]

Maybe try googling or other forums for french polishing they grain fill
as part of the process and should have useful info, failing that if you
contact a french polisher direct they maybe be able to advise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks, especially about the UK workshop and French polishing tips.