Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need recomendation for a sandblasting cabinet

Guys,

can anyone recommend me a small or medium sandblasting cabinet that is not too expensive
but relatively decent.

I am in USA

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 5, 5:37 am, Alex wrote:
Guys,

can anyone recommend me a small or medium sandblasting cabinet that is not too expensive
but relatively decent.

I am in USA

Thanks

Look here http://www.tptools.com/Default.aspx
I have a 780 in my shop that I use with glass beads and a larger Cleco
cabinent to use with alox

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry wrote:
On Aug 5, 5:37 am, Alex wrote:
Guys,

can anyone recommend me a small or medium sandblasting cabinet that is not too expensive
but relatively decent.

I am in USA

Thanks

Look here http://www.tptools.com/Default.aspx
I have a 780 in my shop that I use with glass beads and a larger Cleco
cabinent to use with alox

Went to their web site.
And found this warning -
"We do not recommend the use of silica or any type of sand in our abrasive blaster
cabinets."

That's kind of strange warning for a sandblast cabinet or I am missing something here.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 5, 3:18 pm, Alex wrote:
Gerry wrote:
On Aug 5, 5:37 am, Alex wrote:
Guys,

can anyone recommend me a small or medium sandblasting cabinet that is not too expensive
but relatively decent.

I am in USA

Thanks

Look herehttp://www.tptools.com/Default.aspx
I have a 780 in my shop that I use with glass beads and a larger Cleco
cabinent to use with alox

Went to their web site.
And found this warning -
"We do not recommend the use of silica or any type of sand in our abrasive blaster
cabinets."

That's kind of strange warning for a sandblast cabinet or I am missing something here.

Suspect tit has to do with silicosis(sp?) that comes from inhaling
silica dust. I quit using sand 20 years ago. Aluminum oxide does a
much better job and last a lot longer than sand. The other thing about
sand is there are often larger particals in with it that will cause
clogging problems. If you don't need alox there are other media like
"Black Beauty" or "Black Star" that will work OK for blasting un-
hardened steel. What do you need to blast?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 20:18:26 GMT, Alex wrote:
Gerry wrote:
On Aug 5, 5:37 am, Alex wrote:

can anyone recommend me a small or medium sandblasting cabinet that is not too expensive
but relatively decent. I am in USA

Look here http://www.tptools.com/Default.aspx
I have a 780 in my shop that I use with glass beads and a larger Cleco
cabinent to use with alox

Went to their web site.
And found this warning -
"We do not recommend the use of silica or any type of sand in our abrasive blaster
cabinets."

That's kind of strange warning for a sandblast cabinet or I am missing something here.

The Liability Lawyers insist they put the warning there, because
silicosis from abrasive dusts is bad. And silica sand is not the best
choice for media in a cabinet blasting or production uses - the one
thing it's good for is in a water blaster where high pressure water is
the carrier and the sand is one-use through the gun.

Great for graffiti removal where you'll hose away and/or sweep up
and throw away the sand, and you need cheap media. And everyone
working with it still wears a respirator just in case.

For really delicate work you want baking soda, CO2 dry ice crystals
(special equipment) or ground walnut shell media.

For paint removal and light rust cleaning you want glass beads.
That's all I have at home, and it cleans up rust and loose paint on
metal nicely without removing lots of metal - gives a nice burnished
finish for painting.

For more aggressive cleaning and derusting you use "Black Beauty"
coal slag, crushed glass, or aluminum oxide.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry wrote:
On Aug 5, 5:37 am, Alex wrote:
[...]

-- Bruce --- Hide quoted text -

Those who have suffered and died from silicosis would want the warning
also....nasty condition.

Serious health problems from dust are real....as many older
woodworkers can now attest.

Wearing a respirator even with using a cabinet is a smart thing to do.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
snip---
For paint removal and light rust cleaning you want glass beads.
That's all I have at home, and it cleans up rust and loose paint on
metal nicely without removing lots of metal - gives a nice burnished
finish for painting.

While it provides a nice finish, it is not the best surface for painting.
Glass bead peens the surface, closing grain and smoothing the surface such
that you don't develop good "tooth".

I make it a practice to use AO for surfaces that will be painted. It cuts
(cleans) faster, and yields a much better surface for painting.

One must be wary of silicosis with glass bead, too. As it abrades, it's
constantly shedding minute particles of silica. It eventually experiences
a total collapse and self destructs, becoming nothing more than fine dust,
assuming you use it long enough. My cabinet has some that meets that
description as we speak.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Alex" wrote in message
.. .
Guys,

can anyone recommend me a small or medium sandblasting cabinet that is not
too expensive but relatively decent.

I am in USA

Thanks

of you're reasonably handy, you can make one yourself. with some
modification, i used these plans

http://mrcol.freeyellow.com/sand-blaster/blaster.pdf

to make mine. i know people using a cardboard or large tupperware storage
bin for years without problems.

you can also use silicon carbide for a blasting grit. as it wears down, it
fractures and presents new cutting surfaces, unlike AlO2 which just rounds
off and becomes a much softer blast as it ages.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry wrote:
On Aug 5, 5:37 am, Alex wrote:
Guys,

can anyone recommend me a small or medium sandblasting cabinet that is not too expensive
but relatively decent.

I am in USA

Thanks

Look here http://www.tptools.com/Default.aspx
I have a 780 in my shop that I use with glass beads and a larger Cleco
cabinent to use with alox

This one looks good to me. It even has a gasket kit.
http://www.tptools.com/p/427,54_770-...g-Cabinet.html
I guess it should not leak like others.