Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Manhole channel

At the final manhole leaving our garden (there are 8 in all) the join
between the channel and the outlet pipe is broken and often causes matter to
snag resulting in a blockage. Probably 3 times a year I have to get the rods
out to clear it!

The challenge is how to fix it. This particular manhole is 6' 5" deep and I
can't for the life of me work out how to get down there to fill in the
broken area.

Any bright ideas appreciated.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
At the final manhole leaving our garden (there are 8 in all) the join
between the channel and the outlet pipe is broken and often causes
matter to snag resulting in a blockage. Probably 3 times a year I have
to get the rods out to clear it!

The challenge is how to fix it. This particular manhole is 6' 5" deep
and I can't for the life of me work out how to get down there to fill in
the broken area.

Any bright ideas appreciated.

shovel and pick?

Mike

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:07:52 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

The challenge is how to fix it. This particular manhole is 6' 5" deep
and I can't for the life of me work out how to get down there to fill in
the broken area.

Is this an old approx 3' square manhole, a smaller built one, a modern
plastic 2' dia "access chamber"?

For the 3' sq man hole lower in a ladder or folded set of steps? But once
down there lack of space to work will probably be the major problem together
with blocking your own light.

2' round plastic thing dig a hole next to it... but 6' deep might get
unstable so shoring up maybe required.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
Any bright ideas appreciated.

Six-foot pole? Will need some dexterity.

Scrape out any crud. Drop a gollop of mortar down.
Push it into place and tamp down.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2012 19:41, jgharston wrote:
Muddymike wrote:
Any bright ideas appreciated.

Six-foot pole? Will need some dexterity.

Scrape out any crud. Drop a gollop of mortar down.
Push it into place and tamp down.

JGH

Then do it again next year as that is a serious bodge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rick Hughes
writes
On 22/06/2012 19:41, jgharston wrote:

Scrape out any crud. Drop a gollop of mortar down.
Push it into place and tamp down.

Then do it again next year as that is a serious bodge.

Well, yes, but once a year is better than three times a year :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
Scrape out any crud. Drop a gollop of mortar down.
Push it into place and tamp down.

Then do it again next year as that is a serious bodge.

Ok then. Climb down. Scrape out any crud. Push into
place a gollop of mortar and tamp down.

Or, use Owain's small child.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/12 18:07, Muddymike wrote:
At the final manhole leaving our garden (there are 8 in all) the join
between the channel and the outlet pipe is broken and often causes
matter to snag resulting in a blockage. Probably 3 times a year I have
to get the rods out to clear it!

The challenge is how to fix it. This particular manhole is 6' 5" deep
and I can't for the life of me work out how to get down there to fill in
the broken area.

Check your buildings insurance, damage to drainage may be covered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 6:07 pm, "Muddymike" wrote:
The challenge is how to fix it. This particular manhole is 6' 5" deep and
can't for the life of me work out how to get down there to fill in the
broken area.

Any bright ideas appreciated.

A small child suspended by their feet.

Alternatively, a dwarf Polish builder.

Just Googled for a dwarf Polish builder and came up with this!
http://forums.theregister.co.uk/foru...over_incident/
"A Polish building contractor working at London's Great Ormond Street
Children's Hospital was given his marching orders after a security guard
caught him having sex with a Henry Hoover, the Sun reports. The Henry Hoover
The unnamed perv was supposed to be locking up the site, at hospital admin
offices, but was instead discovered €¦"

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:07:52 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

The challenge is how to fix it. This particular manhole is 6' 5" deep
and I can't for the life of me work out how to get down there to fill in
the broken area.

Is this an old approx 3' square manhole, a smaller built one, a modern
plastic 2' dia "access chamber"?

It's an old Approx. 650mm x 500mm brick built chamber with a cast cover.
Certainly no room to bend over if I were to climb in.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
Any bright ideas appreciated.

Six-foot pole? Will need some dexterity.

Scrape out any crud. Drop a gollop of mortar down.
Push it into place and tamp down.

I have considered something along these lines, perhaps using a bit of round
plastic guttering screwed to the end of a pole to smooth it off. But what
would be the best material to use? Something quick setting would be a bonus.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 09:53:33 +0100, pcb1962 wrote:

Check your buildings insurance, damage to drainage may be covered.

Damage as in drian broke beacuse heavy vehicle drove over it, probably
covered. Damage due to wear and tear or lack of maintanance probably not.
This proble appears to fall into the latter class.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 09:55:56 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

It's an old Approx. 650mm x 500mm brick built chamber with a cast cover.
Certainly no room to bend over if I were to climb in.

But room enough to squat down, just.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:07:52 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

The challenge is how to fix it. This particular manhole is 6' 5" deep
and I can't for the life of me work out how to get down there to fill in
the broken area.

Is this an old approx 3' square manhole, a smaller built one, a modern
plastic 2' dia "access chamber"?

It's an old Approx. 650mm x 500mm brick built chamber with a cast cover.
Certainly no room to bend over if I were to climb in.

You need to find and armless 'person' who can do everything with their feet.

Or work out how to have someone crane you into the hole upside down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 10:01*am, "Dave Liquorice"
negotiatingUsenetwithoutaccesstoaspellcheck@thisd ayandage wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 09:53:33 +0100, pcb1962 wrote:

Check your buildings insurance, damage to drainage may be covered.

Damage as in drain broke because heavy vehicle drove over it, probably
covered. Damage due to wear and tear or lack of maintenance probably not.
This problem appears to fall into the latter class.

Therefore hire a large, heavily loaded van.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2012 18:07, Muddymike wrote:
At the final manhole leaving our garden (there are 8 in all) the join
between the channel and the outlet pipe is broken and often causes
matter to snag resulting in a blockage. Probably 3 times a year I have
to get the rods out to clear it!

The challenge is how to fix it. This particular manhole is 6' 5" deep
and I can't for the life of me work out how to get down there to fill in
the broken area.

Sometimes there are no shortcuts, yes you can bodge for a while with
lumps of mortar , but really you should just dig a hole (remember
shoring ) and replace/repair the joint then backfill .

If you can prove it is someone else's fault they will need to pay but
if it is on your property and you can't show someone else was at fault
you are SOL and will be liable. IANAL so ICBW

Whilst doing this you could listen to:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGk4A...eature=related

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:07:52 +0100, Muddymike wrote:
The challenge is how to fix it. This particular manhole is 6' 5" deep
and I can't for the life of me work out how to get down there to fill in
the broken area.

Do you think that the fix is quick *if* you have good access? If so,
renting a mini-digger for a day might be the best option if there's room
on the surface for it.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/12 16:24, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:07:52 +0100, Muddymike wrote:
The challenge is how to fix it. This particular manhole is 6' 5" deep
and I can't for the life of me work out how to get down there to fill in
the broken area.

Do you think that the fix is quick *if* you have good access? If so,
renting a mini-digger for a day might be the best option if there's room
on the surface for it.

Can a mini-digger dig a trench 6 feet deep? I'd have thought you'd need
quite a big one for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/12 16:24, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:07:52 +0100, Muddymike wrote:
The challenge is how to fix it. This particular manhole is 6' 5" deep
and I can't for the life of me work out how to get down there to fill in
the broken area.

Do you think that the fix is quick *if* you have good access? If so,
renting a mini-digger for a day might be the best option if there's room
on the surface for it.

Can a mini-digger dig a trench 6 feet deep? I'd have thought you'd need
quite a big one for that.

Nice idea, I hired one a couple of years ago that could, but unfortunately
this manhole is in a confined area :-( Which is a shame as I quite enjoyed
playing with it last time:-)

Mike

TV channel sound from a different channel ajay Electronics Repair 4 October 19th 09 08:26 AM
Square Channel vs C Channel anderson2624[_2_] Metalworking 16 September 1st 08 06:18 AM
Manhole Covers Lawrie UK diy 9 April 3rd 07 08:37 PM
N-channel or P-channel Mosfets HappyHobit Electronics 8 May 22nd 06 11:48 AM
Manhole Risers Joe Home Repair 3 September 14th 05 06:50 PM