Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Webb Mower again Air Filter

Regular readers will perhaps remember that we have got an old Webb mower
going that he found in the shed of his house.

The Briggs and Stratton 5 HP engine has a foam insert in its air filter.
The engine was running roughly and the plug was very black, so he washed
and re-oiled the foam as per manufacturer's instructions. The mower now
runs fine, but some bits of foam fell off during the wash phase, so I
was given the job of finding a replacement.

A local mower repair place looked up the engine model, type and code
numbers and discovered there were at least 6 different possible filters,
mostly now unobtainable. None seemed to match the one on the engine.
I've also looked on ebay..

My question is - Is it possible to buy replacement foam sheets to cut to
shape? Presumably it has to be open cell, oil, fuel and heat proof.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2012 12:24, Bill wrote:
Regular readers will perhaps remember that we have got an old Webb mower
going that he found in the shed of his house.

The Briggs and Stratton 5 HP engine has a foam insert in its air filter.
The engine was running roughly and the plug was very black, so he washed
and re-oiled the foam as per manufacturer's instructions. The mower now
runs fine, but some bits of foam fell off during the wash phase, so I
was given the job of finding a replacement.

A local mower repair place looked up the engine model, type and code
numbers and discovered there were at least 6 different possible filters,
mostly now unobtainable. None seemed to match the one on the engine.
I've also looked on ebay..

My question is - Is it possible to buy replacement foam sheets to cut to
shape? Presumably it has to be open cell, oil, fuel and heat proof.

Google for 'air filter media'. RS and the like will almost certainly
sell some too. Failing that, a car or motorbike shop?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2012 12:24, Bill wrote:
Regular readers will perhaps remember that we have got an old Webb mower
going that he found in the shed of his house.

The Briggs and Stratton 5 HP engine has a foam insert in its air filter.
The engine was running roughly and the plug was very black, so he washed
and re-oiled the foam as per manufacturer's instructions. The mower now
runs fine, but some bits of foam fell off during the wash phase, so I
was given the job of finding a replacement.

A local mower repair place looked up the engine model, type and code
numbers and discovered there were at least 6 different possible filters,
mostly now unobtainable. None seemed to match the one on the engine.

B&S had PDF files of all the components numbered next to exploded
diagrams for each engine they've ever made. I was amazed at what's still
available via their dealer network at reasonable prices (compared to B&Q
etc!) You could of course be looking at someone's substitution of parts,
but foam is foam so just buy a slightly bigger filter and chop it to size.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Part Timer
writes
B&S had PDF files of all the components numbered next to exploded
diagrams for each engine they've ever made. I was amazed at what's
still available via their dealer network at reasonable prices (compared
to B&Q etc!) You could of course be looking at someone's substitution
of parts, but foam is foam so just buy a slightly bigger filter and
chop it to size.

I have what I think is the exploded diagram and parts list for this
engine, but the air cleaner filter has a number of options, none of
which seem to match precisely. Interestingly, the files I saw looking
over the shoulder of the person in the mower repair place were different
and had more pictures, but were equally vague. There are no actual
dimensions shown.

I have looked up foam filter material today and will go down that route
if I have to, but an ebay seller has come good by comparing dimensions
of one of his foam inserts with what I have, so I'm waiting for the
postman over the next few days to see if it fits.
--
Bill

Webb mower revisited Bill[_18_] UK diy 4 July 12th 10 08:34 AM
Webb Mower Bill[_18_] UK diy 19 June 7th 10 05:32 PM
Lawn mower air filter? Jeff Dege Home Repair 6 July 3rd 08 07:34 PM
mower filter replacement [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 3rd 07 02:24 AM
Mower lost air filter won't start. Tim Zimmerman Home Repair 22 March 10th 05 04:07 AM