Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mower filter replacement

I recently was given a craftsman mower with a Tecumseh engine by a
neighbor who inherited it but had never used it. I replaced the blade,
plug, filter and oil. The gas tank was dry, and when I filled it for
the first time, the gas leaked straight through the carb and dripped
out the air filter. From reading through previous posts I assume the
float is stuck, and I plan on cleaning the carb to correct this.

Call me a cheapskate, but do I need to buy another filter if the new
one I put in there was soaked in gasoline? Or will this have no effect
on performance or safety? Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently was given a craftsman mower with a Tecumseh engine by a
neighbor who inherited it but had never used it. I replaced the blade,
plug, filter and oil. The gas tank was dry, and when I filled it for
the first time, the gas leaked straight through the carb and dripped
out the air filter. From reading through previous posts I assume the
float is stuck, and I plan on cleaning the carb to correct this.

Call me a cheapskate, but do I need to buy another filter if the new
one I put in there was soaked in gasoline? Or will this have no effect
on performance or safety? Thanks for any advice.

Word of advice - get them running before you replace blades, filter, oil,
etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 4:32 pm, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

I recently was given a craftsmanmowerwith a Tecumseh engine by a
neighbor who inherited it but had never used it. I replaced the blade,
plug,filterand oil. The gas tank was dry, and when I filled it for
the first time, the gas leaked straight through the carb and dripped
out the airfilter. From reading through previous posts I assume the
float is stuck, and I plan on cleaning the carb to correct this.

Call me a cheapskate, but do I need to buy anotherfilterif the new
one I put in there wassoakedin gasoline? Or will this have no effect
on performance or safety? Thanks for any advice.

Word of advice - get them running before you replace blades,filter, oil,
etc.

Yeah, lesson learned. Cleaned and rebuilt the carb and started it up
today - fired right up, and the filter seems to be drawing fine.
Thanks for the responses.