Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting coving around warm air vent?

I'm trying to install ceiling coving in a four walled room.

I'm encountering two problems: 1) two vertical (floor to ceiling) pipe boxes
one in a corner and one on a straight wall and 2) more difficult to solve an
old/unused warm air heating vent grill fixed to the wall about about 3
inches from the ceiling.

Removing the vent would leave a book size hole in the wall that would need
to be filled and finished and painted. Too much skill and paint matching
involved in that. Is there a way of fixing the coving flush over the vent? I
think I would have to create a small section of coving just for the length
of the vent (about 12 inches) and then trim the depth of the coving by a few
mm so that it is flush with the wall when the untrimmed coving is placed
around it. I wonder even if I could get the coving flush whether or not it
would look silly partly covering a vent.

Actually, come to think of it, as I write this I realise that the pipe boxes
may be more problematic than the vent. There's surely no easy way of fitting
coving around a pipe box?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 5:30*pm, "Gareth" wrote:

Removing the vent would leave a book size hole in the wall that would need
to be filled and finished and painted. Too much skill and paint matching
involved in that. Is there a way of fixing the coving flush over the vent?

Are you intending to fit coving without painting the walls afterward?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:30:48 +0100, Gareth wrote:

I'm encountering two problems: 1) two vertical (floor to ceiling) pipe
boxes one in a corner and one on a straight wall ...

How big are the boxes in relation to the coving? If the boxing is
only an inch or so smaller or larger than the coving I'd pretend it
wasn't there. Cutting the coving to fit the boxing.

If the boxing is large in comparison with the coving you'll have to
take the coving around:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumbla...9927DW7ech.jpg

Removing the vent would leave a book size hole in the wall that would
need to be filled and finished and painted. Too much skill and paint
matching involved in that.

That's a shame as that is the only decent option IMHO.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Cutting plaster coving with a power saw Mighty Magpie UK diy 5 November 1st 07 02:31 PM
Cutting kitchen vent funnel covering ? Mike P UK diy 4 October 29th 07 11:51 AM
Cutting Coving Buzby UK diy 5 January 3rd 06 01:55 PM
100mm vent pipe hole cutting Bob Watkinson UK diy 10 October 30th 05 05:23 PM
Cutting coving mitres? Argos cheapy mitre saw? dmc UK diy 17 April 8th 05 07:52 PM