Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The House the 50s Built pt2

Hohum.

DeHavilland was given credit for the ply forming technology for the
Mosquito, he borrowed that from south coast boatbuilders.

Narrow slats instead of wide ones on Venetian blinds, with nylon
ladders instead of cloth ladder tapes (wide plastic tapes came later,
before the nylon cord ladders).

A Hoover that was straight out of the 60s.

Asking the 50s folk if this room would have been "groovy", an
expression I never heard until the 60s. Thankfully one lady replied it
would have been "with it", she could have added "Daddy-oh".

Otoh,
I enjoyed the chemical demos; Paraffin Young's distilling and the foam
making were fun.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2012 22:09, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Hohum.

DeHavilland was given credit for the ply forming technology for the
Mosquito, he borrowed that from south coast boatbuilders.

Narrow slats instead of wide ones on Venetian blinds, with nylon
ladders instead of cloth ladder tapes (wide plastic tapes came later,
before the nylon cord ladders).

A Hoover that was straight out of the 60s.

Asking the 50s folk if this room would have been "groovy", an
expression I never heard until the 60s. Thankfully one lady replied it
would have been "with it", she could have added "Daddy-oh".

Can't help feeling that by the time they had finished the room, I
preferred it how it was when they started!

Otoh,
I enjoyed the chemical demos; Paraffin Young's distilling and the foam
making were fun.

Indeed.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:09:19 PM UTC+1, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Hohum.

DeHavilland was given credit for the ply forming technology for the
Mosquito, he borrowed that from south coast boatbuilders.

Narrow slats instead of wide ones on Venetian blinds, with nylon
ladders instead of cloth ladder tapes (wide plastic tapes came later,
before the nylon cord ladders).

A Hoover that was straight out of the 60s.

Asking the 50s folk if this room would have been "groovy", an
expression I never heard until the 60s. Thankfully one lady replied it
would have been "with it", she could have added "Daddy-oh".

Otoh,
I enjoyed the chemical demos; Paraffin Young's distilling and the foam
making were fun.

Just watching this.
"The electric fire is quite inefficient ..."
Oh dear !
Actually I suppose it is, compared to a heat pump ;-)
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 13:08:58 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

Just watching this.
"The electric fire is quite inefficient ..."
Oh dear !

I'm surprised at him, he should know better.
Certainly, they were very ineffective (which is what he meant to say,
I'm sure); the poorly-designed and often manky reflector and draughty
rooms saw to that.
In a directly related fashion, I must say I'm impressed with the
modern crop of halogen bar heaters of 400W/bar. In a reasonably
insulated and draughtless room they heat the place up a treat. They
throw out a lot more useful heat to where it's needed than the old
ones ever did.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just watching this.
"The electric fire is quite inefficient ..."
Oh dear !

I'm surprised at him, he should know better.
Certainly, they were very ineffective (which is what he meant to say,
I'm sure); the poorly-designed and often manky reflector and draughty
rooms saw to that.
In a directly related fashion, I must say I'm impressed with the
modern crop of halogen bar heaters of 400W/bar. In a reasonably
insulated and draughtless room they heat the place up a treat. They
throw out a lot more useful heat to where it's needed than the old
ones ever did.

I wonder where in the old ones the part of the 400W ended up that didnt
end up as heat..

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2012 21:08, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

If you are talking about turning money into heat, then its a fair comment...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Just watching this.
"The electric fire is quite inefficient ..."
Oh dear !

I notice that they didn't show it working. I would have thought
there should have been an operable one around.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just watching this.
"The electric fire is quite inefficient ..."
Oh dear !

I'm surprised at him, he should know better.

Is he just a presenter who actually knows nothing?
Remember James May, the supposed sciencey one explaining the old wiring colours wrong on Man Lab - he clearly did not know them himself so did not know the researcher had screwed up.
The other guy that comes to mind is Nick Knowles who actually now knows more than he lets on, having presented DIY SOS for so may years.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wonder where in the old ones the part of the 400W ended up that didnt
end up as heat..

Probably heat but simply not efficiently radiated. I could imagine the
chimney was kept nice and cosy for example. Given that the old bars were
simply "wire which got hot" there was a small amount of visible red light
but not really any where else for the energy to have been wasted initially.

Paul DS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A Hoover that was straight out of the 60s.

I was rather hoping to see a Hoover Constellation. I remember the
excitement as a young child when I realised that these were effectively
hovercraft, which was how they moved effortlessly across the carpet without
any wheels, and why they wouldn't move when you turned them off.

Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:24:05 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

In a directly related fashion, I must say I'm impressed with the
modern crop of halogen bar heaters of 400W/bar. In a reasonably
insulated and draughtless room they heat the place up a treat.

Well that's not surprising is it? But a "reasonably insulated and
draughtless room" is nothing like a '50's living room with an open
fire place, single glazed windows and no draught excluders on any
opening windows.

They throw out a lot more useful heat to where it's needed than the old
ones ever did.

Not convinced 400W is 400W. Not throwing it away, through draughts,
up the chimney or out through the walls is the key.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:32:46 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

In a directly related fashion, I must say I'm impressed with the
modern crop of halogen bar heaters of 400W/bar. In a reasonably
insulated and draughtless room they heat the place up a treat.

Well that's not surprising is it? But a "reasonably insulated and
draughtless room" is nothing like a '50's living room with an open
fire place, single glazed windows and no draught excluders on any
opening windows.

That's just what I said, funnily enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 00:20:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I wonder where in the old ones the part of the 400W ended up that didnt
end up as heat..

A rising column of warm air heated the ceiling and not much got
radiated to the occupants. The old 3kW ones had to be on full belt to
have a worthwhile effect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:57:16 +0100, "Paul D Smith"
wrote:

I was rather hoping to see a Hoover Constellation. I remember the
excitement as a young child when I realised that these were effectively
hovercraft, which was how they moved effortlessly across the carpet without
any wheels, and why they wouldn't move when you turned them off.

I suspect they didn't so much vacuum as blast the muck to the side, in
that case. Hey, they could have made it as the first bagless cleaner.