Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Junior Member

Question Weird radiator filling - or rather non-filling

Hi everybody..
A bit of a puzzler that I'm racking my brains over....

I'll set the scene:
My mums heating system (gravity fed with a header tank in the roof space) has three or four rads upstairs , 3 normal and 1 slightly taller towel rad in the bathroom not hugely taller , 4 ft perhaps?

Anyway: It only gets hot at the bottom 1/3 - the usual problem you'd think , bleed it ?
So I open the screw let out a tiny bit of pressurised air, heat rises a bit up the rad (one bar) but no further air (or water)

So I remove the complete nut that houses the bleed screw at top of rad, No sign of water or air 'rush'?

Soooo thinking laterally, I start to fill the rad with a kettle!, several kettles and although the rad is now getting hot close to top , the water never reaches to top of rad ???

and then I hear running water outside the house, on inspection the roof space overflow pipe is letting water out , if I stop with the kettle filling the roofspace overflow eventually stops , so this is kettle water leaving the building!!

What's wrong ?

and how the heck is the rad not filling up when the overflow is obviously above the rad in question?

Filling in old bog pipe Tim Watts UK diy 12 August 23rd 10 05:07 PM
filling a gap cj Home Repair 4 May 28th 10 07:12 PM
More filling! Richard UK diy 5 September 23rd 09 08:00 AM
filling the gap tiscali UK diy 11 November 10th 06 04:52 PM
filling radiator boiler Bob Lang Home Repair 11 October 18th 03 01:40 AM