Junior Member

Default Can't post a thread?

I tried to post a thread a few day's ago but it was sent off to be viewed by a mod with it being my first thread. I've not seen it appear so using this as a "tester" to see if I can post yet!
Junior Member

Aha! turns out my original thread was posted...I looked for it for ages but couldn't find it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tombo46 wrote:

I tried to post a thread a few day's ago but it was sent off to be
viewed by a mod with it being my first thread. I've not seen it appear
so using this as a "tester" to see if I can post yet!

Why do you want to post via somewhere else when you can post direct
without any so called moderators?

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2012 13:35, Tombo46 wrote:

I tried to post a thread a few day's ago but it was sent off to be
viewed by a mod with it being my first thread. I've not seen it appear
so using this as a "tester" to see if I can post yet!

There are no "mods" this is usenet. Alas you seem to be trying to post
to it through an obscure letterbox called diybanter (basically a web
based front end to usenet that uses the "free" content to attract search
engine hits and then sell ad space against it!)

Full details of how to do it the traditional way he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...up_access_tips

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tombo46 wrote:

I tried to post a thread a few day's ago but it was sent off to be
viewed by a mod with it being my first thread. I've not seen it appear
so using this as a "tester" to see if I can post yet!

Complain to DIY Banter (dot Com) and tell them that they are leaches
parasitising off the backs of people who contribute to Usenet. Register
your protest by getting a (free) usenet account and gaining access to
thousands of newsgroups.

Try here for the account:

http://www.eternal-september.org/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
This is not a moderated newsgroup so I think you are mistaken.

He's posting via diybanter.com, who are probably harvesting posters
details to sell to their advertisers to pay for the web interface.
That's why you need to register with them to post to the newsgroups they
cover.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 10/06/2012 13:35, Tombo46 wrote:

I tried to post a thread a few day's ago but it was sent off to be
viewed by a mod with it being my first thread. I've not seen it
appear so using this as a "tester" to see if I can post yet!

There are no "mods" this is usenet. Alas you seem to be trying to post
to it through an obscure letterbox called diybanter (basically a web
based front end to usenet that uses the "free" content to attract
search engine hits and then sell ad space against it!)

Full details of how to do it the traditional way he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...up_access_tips

Oh dear. It seems that I once registered to use diybanter.

And I just tried to sign in to diybanter and I needed reminding of my user
name and password.

diybanter have just sent me an email calling me David Willetts with all my
details needed to sign in. Now I have only ever once pretended to be a
useless **** called David Willetts and that was in a spoof post I made via
usenet a couple of years ago to uk.d-i-y with regards to swapping 25
lightbulbs at an MPs house.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2012 13:35, Tombo46 wrote:
I tried to post a thread a few day's ago but it was sent off to be
viewed by a mod with it being my first thread. I've not seen it appear
so using this as a "tester" to see if I can post yet!

There is no moderator here ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2012 18:13, ARWadsworth wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

diybanter have just sent me an email calling me David Willetts with all my
details needed to sign in. Now I have only ever once pretended to be a
useless **** called David Willetts and that was in a spoof post I made via
usenet a couple of years ago to uk.d-i-y with regards to swapping 25
lightbulbs at an MPs house.

so you are that David Willets then

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
On 10/06/2012 13:35, Tombo46 wrote:
I tried to post a thread a few day's ago but it was sent off to be
viewed by a mod with it being my first thread. I've not seen it appear
so using this as a "tester" to see if I can post yet!

There is no moderator here ?

Not that I've noticed, or how would Dennis, H. Neary and Rodders still
be posting?

They're not *that* entertaining.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARWadsworth adamwadsworth@
blueyonder.co.uk escribió:

Now I have only ever once pretended to be a
useless **** called David Willetts and that was in a spoof post I made via
usenet a couple of years ago to uk.d-i-y with regards to swapping 25
lightbulbs at an MPs house.

Ah, so you are Willett's second brain. Does he know?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 3:17*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/06/2012 13:35, Tombo46 wrote:

I tried to post a thread a few day's ago but it was sent off to be
viewed by a mod with it being my first thread. *I've not seen it appear
so using this as a "tester" to see if I can post yet!

There are no "mods" this is usenet. Alas you seem to be trying to post
to it through an obscure letterbox called diybanter (basically a web
based front end to usenet that uses the "free" content to attract search
engine hits and then sell ad space against it!)

Full details of how to do it the traditional way he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...up_access_tips

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

Or you can do it the less traditional way via Google groups (as this
is now a Google group as well as a Usenet newsgroup):

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/

people have their own preferences; generally diybanter is not one of
them.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2012 12:31, geraldthehamster wrote:
On Jun 10, 3:17 pm, John wrote:
On 10/06/2012 13:35, Tombo46 wrote:

I tried to post a thread a few day's ago but it was sent off to be
viewed by a mod with it being my first thread. I've not seen it appear
so using this as a "tester" to see if I can post yet!

There are no "mods" this is usenet. Alas you seem to be trying to post
to it through an obscure letterbox called diybanter (basically a web
based front end to usenet that uses the "free" content to attract search
engine hits and then sell ad space against it!)

Full details of how to do it the traditional way he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...up_access_tips

Or you can do it the less traditional way via Google groups (as this

Also covered in the link above ;-)

is now a Google group as well as a Usenet newsgroup):

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/

Google will let you at it, but that does not make it a google group as
such...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , John Williamson
writes
Brian Gaff wrote:
This is not a moderated newsgroup so I think you are mistaken.

He's posting via diybanter.com, who are probably harvesting posters
details to sell to their advertisers to pay for the web interface. That's
why you need to register with them to post to the newsgroups they cover.

Hows about everyone personally emailing the advertisers and telling them
that you will refuse to buy anything from them as long as they advertise
on diybanter ?

They wouldn't believe it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 3:17 pm, John *wrote:
[...]

Comes to the same thing in practice. I know some posters don't like or
use Google groups, as is their choice, but for someone coming in from
outside it's a lot easier to sign up for Google groups than to faff
about with a newsreader, especially as a lot of people already have
Google accounts these days.

Better than diybanter anyway.

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 3:17 pm, John wrote:
[...]

Similar - you can't post to a google group from usenet though...

use Google groups, as is their choice, but for someone coming in from
outside it's a lot easier to sign up for Google groups than to faff
about with a newsreader, especially as a lot of people already have
Google accounts these days.

Personally I would say typing the name of a news server into thunderbird
is even less hassle than setting up a google account - especially when
they keep titting about with the groups interface.

However, each to their own, I have no objection to people using gg for
posting if they want. It does seem to cause some of them difficulties
with quoting and leaving various other on screen prompts littered about
in the responses though.

Better than diybanter anyway.

no argument there.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2012 20:35, geoff wrote:
In message , John Williamson
writes
Brian Gaff wrote:
This is not a moderated newsgroup so I think you are mistaken.

He's posting via diybanter.com, who are probably harvesting posters
details to sell to their advertisers to pay for the web interface.
That's why you need to register with them to post to the newsgroups
they cover.

Hows about everyone personally emailing the advertisers and telling them
that you will refuse to buy anything from them as long as they advertise
on diybanter ?

It looks like they are using google ads anyway - so there will be no
direct relationship between the advertisers and the sites that show them
anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.