Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Weird cases thread, post your's here.

Got this Philips 14" B&W tv ages ago.
Symptom : Video muted with no sound.
So where would one start? I was thinking maybe tuner section or IF.
Turned out the speaker was shorted, the volume was set to high, hence
supplies were dropping due to an unnatural load. Disconnected speaker
wire and voila, picture was restored. Recoiled the speaker and
everything worked fine.
Jango.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jango2 wrote in message
ups.com...
Got this Philips 14" B&W tv ages ago.
Symptom : Video muted with no sound.
So where would one start? I was thinking maybe tuner section or IF.
Turned out the speaker was shorted, the volume was set to high, hence
supplies were dropping due to an unnatural load. Disconnected speaker
wire and voila, picture was restored. Recoiled the speaker and
everything worked fine.
Jango.

An insect cocoon between laser and lens of a CD

When I used to repair car cassette players,
note, not recorders. All tapes put into this one would come
out with the repeated click noise of a vinyl record recorded
on them, write-protected cassettes or not.
Tiny piece of magnetic material embedded in the pinch wheel

Switch Mode PS of a scope failing to fully power up.
Due to spots of mold that had grown on the
transparent light path between LED and opto
receiver of an encapsulated opto-coupler between control
and HV side of the ps

--
General electronic repairs, most things repaired, other than TVs and PCs
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/repairs.htm

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

A tossup between the Dumont with the bright vertical line in
the middle (like no vertical deflection turned 90 degrees)
or the Muntz (*) that depended on the distribution
of the wiring to maintain horizontal sweep frequency. Both of
these are from my early childhood when I was just learning on
other peoples' throwaways.

(*) Muntz was a Chicago-area local manufacturer. The legend
behind their designs is that they took working models from
other manufacturers and removed as many components as possible
while still maintaining some function. That was their design.

jango2 wrote:
Got this Philips 14" B&W tv ages ago.
Symptom : Video muted with no sound.
So where would one start? I was thinking maybe tuner section or IF.
Turned out the speaker was shorted, the volume was set to high, hence
supplies were dropping due to an unnatural load. Disconnected speaker
wire and voila, picture was restored. Recoiled the speaker and
everything worked fine.
Jango.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sony SL C7 UB Betamax VCR, intermittent chroma on playback.

Colour sub carrier oscillator drifting in and out of lock due to dead
and decomposing mouse trapped between chroma board and bottom metal
cover.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Clint Sharp ha escrito:
Sony SL C7 UB Betamax VCR, intermittent chroma on playback.

Colour sub carrier oscillator drifting in and out of lock due to dead
and decomposing mouse trapped between chroma board and bottom metal
cover.
--
Clint Sharp

......reminds me of one experience I had, Clint!
sanyo ec1 chassis tv
Dead set.
Cause: infestation of cockroaches - most of which were still present -
blew open 2 ressitors on the SMPS !

-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This lady walked in with a cheap toy synthesizer (musical keyboard)
and her 5 year old son in tow and declares it stopped working. I think
to myself oh what fun after i fix it i can fool around with it. I
eagerly accept it and place it on my lap. I look up and ask her how it
conked. She replies " my son threw up on it".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jango2 wrote:

This lady walked in with a cheap toy synthesizer (musical keyboard)
and her 5 year old son in tow and declares it stopped working. I think
to myself oh what fun after i fix it i can fool around with it. I
eagerly accept it and place it on my lap. I look up and ask her how it
conked. She replies " my son threw up on it".

Abd you think that's bad? How about Jerrold JRX series cable TV
boxes after cats have ****ed in them, and the urine hase eaten all the
silver off the tuner boards? They had to be stripped, soaked to clean
them, and replace everything in the control head.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message . com,
jango2 writes
This lady walked in with a cheap toy synthesizer (musical keyboard)
and her 5 year old son in tow and declares it stopped working. I think
to myself oh what fun after i fix it i can fool around with it. I
eagerly accept it and place it on my lap. I look up and ask her how it
conked. She replies " my son threw up on it".

Oh nasty, reminds me of a Hitachi VT17 top loading VHS machine we got
asked to fix, the owner came into the shop and asked if we could fix it
or at least assess it for an insurance claim as it'd had something
spilled in it. After a little questioning, he admitted that he'd come
home from the pub a couple of nights ago, decided that he'd like to
watch a film, selected the tape, opened the VCR, leant over to put the
tape in and thrown up into the mechanism through the open door. We
declined to investigate that one.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

When I was working as an aircraft mechanic in Alaska. A Cessna 172 owner
brought his plane into our hanger and wanted a CB radio installed in it.
This was back in the late 70's so cb's were fairly popular then. He had one
odd request, that I install the CB antenna on the bottom of the aircraft. I
suppose he figured it would get better reception there, I really didn't
know. Anyhow when I climbed into his plane to start the install, I looked
down at the floor to figure out where to route the antenna cable. He had a
full size brass Spittoon sitting there full, and more snoose spit on the
floor, fuel selector, and flap control handle that had missed the spittoon.
I informed him if he wanted me to work on his plane he had to clean the
snoose up. He threw a big fit and flew off to find someone else to install
his CB.

ups.com...