Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Making small ladders

I can reach my 2 storey roof from the top of the ground floor extension,
it is only a height of approx 4 feet so was thinking of making a small
set of ladders (wooden) to save hauling up another set. It should only
be required every few years for maintenance/moss etc.
I can make them extra wide for stabilityand measured so they fit in
between the troughs of the ridge tiles. Even if I fell off the things
it would only be a 4 foot fall.
What would be the best way to join the rungs to the uprights to give an
element of strength (& safety) I assume just screwing batons on would be
too weak, so what type of simple wood joint to add some strength.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2012 13:45, ss wrote:
I can reach my 2 storey roof from the top of the ground floor extension,
it is only a height of approx 4 feet so was thinking of making a small
set of ladders (wooden) to save hauling up another set. It should only
be required every few years for maintenance/moss etc.
I can make them extra wide for stabilityand measured so they fit in
between the troughs of the ridge tiles. Even if I fell off the things it
would only be a 4 foot fall.
What would be the best way to join the rungs to the uprights to give an
element of strength (& safety) I assume just screwing batons on would be
too weak, so what type of simple wood joint to add some strength.

I don't think I would bother, more trouble than it is worth. Look at
things like cheap loft ladders or those little platform arrangements for
decorating. You could always trim them to length, and/or add "hooks"
like a roof ladder hook to suit your particular geometry. Being alloy,
they will be much easier to manipulate than wood. And assuming your
extension has a flat roof with a parapet you can even store them up
there without worrying abour rot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
I can reach my 2 storey roof from the top of the ground floor extension, it
is only a height of approx 4 feet so was thinking of making a small set of
ladders (wooden) to save hauling up another set. It should only be required
every few years for maintenance/moss etc.
I can make them extra wide for stabilityand measured so they fit in
between the troughs of the ridge tiles. Even if I fell off the things it
would only be a 4 foot fall.
What would be the best way to join the rungs to the uprights to give an
element of strength (& safety) I assume just screwing batons on would be
too weak, so what type of simple wood joint to add some strength.

What do you mean by 'they fit in between the troughs of the ridge tiles.'

Is it that you ground floor extension has a pitched roof and you intend to
point load your weight on unsupported parts of the roof tiles when you stand
on the ladder?

or something else altogether?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/06/2012 15:18, TMC wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
[...]

I have loads of 2 x 2 left over and was thinking of making something
from that.

" What do you mean by 'they fit in between the troughs of the ridge tiles.'

Is it that you ground floor extension has a pitched roof and you intend
to point load your weight on unsupported parts of the roof tiles when
you stand on the ladder?"

Ground floor has a pitch roof (not a steep angle) I suppose I would need
to spread the load somehow, now that you mention it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 08/06/2012 15:18, TMC wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
[...]

I would say so

also some method of preventing the ladder moving down the slope?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/06/2012 16:15, TMC wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
On 08/06/2012 15:18, TMC wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
[...]

On that subject my son has been up and down this part a few times and
ladder doesnt slip, however for me I will make something to hold it
fast, should be easy enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 08/06/2012 16:15, TMC wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
On 08/06/2012 15:18, TMC wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
[...]

when asked in the past how I would overcome the problem of access to a roof
above a sloping roof my diy theoretical solution was a piece of 18mm ply
with a suitable batten at the lower end to retain the foot of the ladder and
strong brackets at the upper end to fix to brackets attached to the wall

I use the term brackets very loosely as I did not in the event have to
create the item but I suspect I would have used the eye bolts for fencing on
the timber and eyebolt anchors in the wall

I have had a quick look as to how the profesionals would do it but have not
yet found any method

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 8, 1:45*pm, ss wrote:
I can reach my 2 storey roof from the top of the ground floor extension,
it is only a height of approx 4 feet so was thinking of making a small
set of ladders (wooden) to save hauling up another set. It should only
be required every few years for maintenance/moss etc.
I can make them extra wide for stabilityand measured so they fit in
between the troughs of the ridge tiles. *Even if I fell off the things
it would only be a 4 foot fall.
What would be the best way to join the rungs to the uprights to give an
element of strength (& safety) I assume just screwing batons on would be
too weak, so what type of simple wood joint to add some strength.

1.5x2.5 (real size, not nominal) makes a good solid ladder. I'm having
no luck uploading a pic tho. However you do it, just load it up to
triple your weight before using it for real.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2012 13:45, ss wrote:

What would be the best way to join the rungs to the uprights to give an
element of strength (& safety) I assume just screwing batons on would be
too weak, so what type of simple wood joint to add some strength.

Well all sorts of exotic options are available, however just planted on
the face and nailed or screwed is surprisingly strong.

I built a quick tree "house" (more of a bi-level platform really) for
the kids the other day. This was a very quick job (4 hours including
buying the timber!) I needed a couple of short ladders, and just used
what was to hand - a couple of lengths of 2x2 and 3x2 CLS for the
uprights, and some tile batten for the rungs. Slapped it on the face,
and popped a couple of 2" ring shank nails in through the face on each
end to hold it in place. I was quite surprised how strong the result
was[1] - they took my not insignificant weight with no problem. If I
were making something for more prolonged adult use I might rebate the
rungs into the front of the uprights.

End result:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...eePlatform.jpg

(that's 6 of 3x2" CLS, and a pack of tile batten - let me know if you
want any more construction details and I will add some words to it in
the wiki)

[1] I suppose when you think that a battened roof is in effect a simple
ladder, and that takes the weight of roofers climbing up with a pile of
tiles in hand, it is probably fairly strong.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/06/2012 17:09, John Rumm wrote:
On 08/06/2012 13:45, ss wrote:

[...]

That should be enough info from the pics John, I like the idea of one
upright being slightly longer as an aid and ease of access. My weight
shouldnt be an issue as under 11st. But will double check before using.

Thanks all for help given.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2012 13:45, ss wrote:
I can reach my 2 storey roof from the top of the ground floor extension,
it is only a height of approx 4 feet so was thinking of making a small
set of ladders (wooden) to save hauling up another set. It should only
be required every few years for maintenance/moss etc.
I can make them extra wide for stability and measured so they fit in
between the troughs of the ridge tiles. Even if I fell off the things it
would only be a 4 foot fall.

My late father broke his ankle falling about half that height.

What would be the best way to join the rungs to the uprights to give an
element of strength (& safety) I assume just screwing batons on would be
too weak, so what type of simple wood joint to add some strength.

Ladder rungs are normally fitted by boring hole through the stiles,
tapering that top and bottom, to create an oval hole on the outside,
creating a stepped down dowel on the end of the rung with a slot across
the protruding dowel, inserting that dowel into the hole in the stile
and driving a tapered wedge into the slot to spread the dowel into the
tapers, all held together with generous applications of glue. It would
probably be simpler to buy a ready made ladder and cut it down into two
or more pieces.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nightjar
writes

Ladder rungs are normally fitted by boring hole through the stiles,
tapering that top and bottom, to create an oval hole on the outside,
creating a stepped down dowel on the end of the rung with a slot across
the protruding dowel, inserting that dowel into the hole in the stile
and driving a tapered wedge into the slot to spread the dowel into the
tapers, all held together with generous applications of glue. It would
probably be simpler to buy a ready made ladder and cut it down into two
or more pieces.

A building surveyor and good friend has twice come a cropper with
antique versions of this design.

Once was whilst surveying the inside of a steeple with a fixed wooden
ladder system in poor light and discovering that on the top section
there was nothing holding the uprights together and therefore nothing to
stop the rungs popping out, this while alone and 150' off the deck.
Ladder was hugged tightly to hold the uprights together on the way down
to safety and access padlocked off.

Second was whilst using his late father in law's immaculate antique
extending set (apparently his pride and joy) when the very same thing
happened but this time it ended with a Laurel & Hardy body wedged
between ladder uprights moment. All the wife could say (then and for
weeks later) was, "look what you've done to my father's ladders."

And yes, the irony was not lost with an experienced BS a) working alone
and b) failing to check the ladders before use, oh, and c) not learning
from the previous mistake.

It makes John's simple construction seem like the way to go, my dad made
a roof ladder this way many years ago, I think we still have it.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote

I can reach my 2 storey roof from the top of the ground floor extension,
it is only a height of approx 4 feet so was thinking of making a small set
of ladders (wooden) to save hauling up another set. It should only be
required every few years for maintenance/moss etc.

I can make them extra wide for stabilityand measured so they fit in
between the troughs of the ridge tiles. Even if I fell off the things it
would only be a 4 foot fall.

What would be the best way to join the rungs to the uprights to give an
element of strength (& safety) I assume just screwing batons on would be
too weak, so what type of simple wood joint to add some strength.

I'd get an aluminium ladder from a garage/yard sale myself or even a new
one.

If I was going to make one, I'd weld it from 25mm RHS, square steel tube.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
ss wrote

I can reach my 2 storey roof from the top of the ground floor
extension, it is only a height of approx 4 feet so was thinking of
making a small set of ladders (wooden) to save hauling up another set.
It should only be required every few years for maintenance/moss etc.

I can make them extra wide for stabilityand measured so they fit in
between the troughs of the ridge tiles. Even if I fell off the things
it would only be a 4 foot fall.

What would be the best way to join the rungs to the uprights to give
an element of strength (& safety) I assume just screwing batons on
would be too weak, so what type of simple wood joint to add some
strength.

I'd get an aluminium ladder from a garage/yard sale myself or even a new
one.

If I was going to make one, I'd weld it from 25mm RHS, square steel tube.

If you mean you're standing a ladder on tile, you must spread the load
with large footplates. And remember that the ladder might slip.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
ss wrote

[...]

I'd just have another 'rung' at the bottom if I was welding it up out of
rhs.

And remember that the ladder might slip.

I'd attach it permanently there if I did make one for that situation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar writes:
On 08/06/2012 13:45, ss wrote:
[...]

Father had a two section wooden ladder like that.
Each rung also had a thin steel rod recessed into the bottom of it.
I stepped on it once, and it was obvious I was being supported
only on the thin (now bent) steel rod under the rung, the ladder
having spent too many decades in a damp garage.

probably be simpler to buy a ready made ladder and cut it down into two
or more pieces.

I caught the end of Farming Today on Radio 4 this morning, from
the Cornwall Show. It was talking about several traditional trades
such as thatching and their apprentices, and happened to mention
there's only one traditional wooden ladder maker left (don't know
over what geographic region that was).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Father had a two section wooden ladder like that.
Each rung also had a thin steel rod recessed into the bottom of it.
I stepped on it once, and it was obvious I was being supported
only on the thin (now bent) steel rod under the rung, the ladder
having spent too many decades in a damp garage.

I got a 'free' wooden ladder with this house, it was OK for a couple of
years, but once one of the rungs went (it had a wire supporting them) I
sawed it up and lobbed it the skip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 9, 1:18*pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Nightjar writes:

On 08/06/2012 13:45, ss wrote:
[...]

Wood ladders aren't hard to make, and serve perfectly well. But unlike
ali they can deteriorate, to fail to check they're stll in good order
before use is ill advised.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:

What do you mean by 'they fit in between the troughs of the ridge
tiles.'

He means his roof tiles have ridges in them, not 'ridge tiles' :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
I can reach my 2 storey roof from the top of the ground floor
extension, it is only a height of approx 4 feet so was thinking of
making a small set of ladders (wooden) to save hauling up another
set. It should only be required every few years for maintenance/moss
etc.

They'll rot in between use

I can make them extra wide for stabilityand measured so they fit in
between the troughs of the ridge tiles. Even if I fell off the things
it would only be a 4 foot fall.
What would be the best way to join the rungs to the uprights to give
an element of strength (& safety) I assume just screwing batons on
would be too weak, so what type of simple wood joint to add some
strength.

buy a cheap alluminium ladder and attatch two eye bolts to the house wall 2
courses above the flashing.
When you put the ladders up, thread a rope through the eye bolts and lash to
the bottom of the ladder to stop it slipping when you are getting on and off
the roof

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes

I caught the end of Farming Today on Radio 4 this morning, from
the Cornwall Show. It was talking about several traditional trades
such as thatching and their apprentices, and happened to mention
there's only one traditional wooden ladder maker left (don't know
over what geographic region that was).

Ah! Thatching. I think I could just about do it having watched my father
as a child.

Getting suitable straw is the first obstacle as modern varieties are too
short.

Carding was done with a set of 3" nails punched through a length of
batten. Pegs came from Hazel bushes in a nearby hedge. Retaining twine
was *binder twine* which just about lasted the winter. Straggly ends
were cut using Sheep shears......

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I caught the end of Farming Today on Radio 4 this morning, from
the Cornwall Show. It was talking about several traditional trades
such as thatching and their apprentices, and happened to mention
there's only one traditional wooden ladder maker left (don't know
over what geographic region that was).

Ulleys of Sheffield have a workshop for making wooden ladders.

Anyone wanting a short light duty ladder, ask the local aerial rigger.
We throw them away as soon as they get too flexible, yet when cut down
they are fine.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 09/06/2012 17:40, Phil L wrote:
ss wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the replies guys, some differing views on what I should
do, or not. It has given me some ideas I had not thought of though so
thanks for that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ss wrote:
I can reach my 2 storey roof from the top of the ground floor extension,
it is only a height of approx 4 feet so was thinking of making a small
set of ladders (wooden) to save hauling up another set. It should only
be required every few years for maintenance/moss etc.
I can make them extra wide for stabilityand measured so they fit in
between the troughs of the ridge tiles. Even if I fell off the things
it would only be a 4 foot fall.

Wood rots. Even the best kept wood can deteriorate if left outdoors
for long enough.

I feel through a wooden ladder a couple of years ago, and dislocated
2 toes...

http://unicorn.drogon.net/left-foot2.jpg

(the right-hand picture is the 'before' picture. Before the doc. reset
them that is!)

Very very painful.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 13:23:08 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

In article , ss wrote:
I can reach my 2 storey roof from the top of the ground floor extension,
it is only a height of approx 4 feet so was thinking of making a small
set of ladders (wooden) to save hauling up another set. It should only
be required every few years for maintenance/moss etc.
I can make them extra wide for stabilityand measured so they fit in
between the troughs of the ridge tiles. Even if I fell off the things
it would only be a 4 foot fall.

Wood rots. Even the best kept wood can deteriorate if left outdoors
for long enough.

I feel through a wooden ladder a couple of years ago, and dislocated
2 toes...

http://unicorn.drogon.net/left-foot2.jpg

(the right-hand picture is the 'before' picture. Before the doc. reset
them that is!)

Very very painful.

Ouch! It hurts just to look at that!

2009. Have you had any trouble with your feet since, as a result of
that?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Father had a two section wooden ladder like that.
Each rung also had a thin steel rod recessed into the bottom of it.
I stepped on it once, and it was obvious I was being supported
only on the thin (now bent) steel rod under the rung, the ladder
having spent too many decades in a damp garage.

I got a 'free' wooden ladder with this house, it was OK for a couple of
years, but once one of the rungs went (it had a wire supporting them) I
sawed it up and lobbed it the skip.

ICBW but I thought the wire was to stop the uprights being pulled apart
rather than to support?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 18:43:11 +0100, fred wrote:

I got a 'free' wooden ladder with this house, it was OK for a

couple of
years, but once one of the rungs went (it had a wire supporting

them) I
sawed it up and lobbed it the skip.

ICBW but I thought the wire was to stop the uprights being pulled apart
rather than to support?

ICBW as well but I thought the wire was to stop you crashing down
through all the rungs when one suddenly broke (rot or WHY) and you
dropped the foot or so onto the one below which couldn't take the
shock, so breaks, dropping you a foot onto the one below etc...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 9:48*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 18:43:11 +0100, fred wrote:
I got a 'free' wooden ladder with this house, it was OK for a

couple of
years, but once one of the rungs went (it had a wire supporting

them) I
sawed it up and lobbed it the skip.

ICBW but I thought the wire was to stop the uprights being pulled apart
rather than to support?

ICBW as well but I thought the wire was to stop you crashing down
through all the rungs when one suddenly broke (rot or WHY) and you
dropped the foot or so onto the one below which couldn't take the
shock, so breaks, dropping you a foot onto the one below etc...

Yes, it does both.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I got a 'free' wooden ladder with this house, it was OK for a
couple of years, but once one of the rungs went (it had a wire
supporting them) I sawed it up and lobbed it the skip.

ICBW but I thought the wire was to stop the uprights being pulled apart
rather than to support?

ICBW as well but I thought the wire was to stop you crashing down
through all the rungs when one suddenly broke

It certainly worked that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2012 21:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 18:43:11 +0100, fred wrote:

I got a 'free' wooden ladder with this house, it was OK for a

couple of
years, but once one of the rungs went (it had a wire supporting

them) I
sawed it up and lobbed it the skip.

ICBW but I thought the wire was to stop the uprights being pulled apart
rather than to support?

ICBW as well but I thought the wire was to stop you crashing down
through all the rungs when one suddenly broke (rot or WHY) and you
dropped the foot or so onto the one below which couldn't take the
shock, so breaks, dropping you a foot onto the one below etc...

I've seen wooden ladders with the wires every five rungs or so, so I
would think they are mainly to stop the stiles spreading and thereby
releasing all the rungs in one go. Not that it should happen on a well
maintained and properly inspected ladder. On one made the way I
described, the runs can only pull out if the wedges come out, which
should be obvious.

Colin Bignell