Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sliding garden gate

One disadvantage in going to my daughter's for the evening is being
asked all sorts of DIY questions by my S-i-L.

I can see where he is coming from on this one, but I'm not sure how to
implement it. The garage is set back from the house by about a metre,
and the house and the garage walls are so aligned that a sliding gate
along the house wall seems an obvious solution. But I've never seen
such a set up and wondered what would be the solution.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 3, 2012 12:24:05 PM UTC+1, robgraham wrote:
One disadvantage in going to my daughter's for the evening is being
asked all sorts of DIY questions by my S-i-L.

I can see where he is coming from on this one, but I'm not sure how to
implement it. The garage is set back from the house by about a metre,
and the house and the garage walls are so aligned that a sliding gate
along the house wall seems an obvious solution. But I've never seen
such a set up and wondered what would be the solution.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Rob

Sliding electric gates are quite common in commercial premises

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=h...BMAE&dur=7 67

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 04:24:05 -0700 (PDT), robgraham wrote:

... the house and the garage walls are so aligned that a sliding gate
along the house wall seems an obvious solution.

Anyone got any ideas ?

JFGI. Plenty of options.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2012 12:24, robgraham wrote:
One disadvantage in going to my daughter's for the evening is being
asked all sorts of DIY questions by my S-i-L.

I can see where he is coming from on this one, but I'm not sure how to
implement it. The garage is set back from the house by about a metre,
and the house and the garage walls are so aligned that a sliding gate
along the house wall seems an obvious solution. But I've never seen
such a set up and wondered what would be the solution.

Anyone got any ideas ?

You need wheels on the bottom of the gate and a track, or at least a
level surface, for them to run on. On the side the gate retracts
towards, you need a fixed guide for the top of the gate, preferably also
wheeled, and you need a stop post for the gate to close against.

If it is to opened manually, these can all be fairly simple.

To motorise it, the bottom rail should provide a positive guide (an
inverted T shape with V grooved rollers on the gate will be easiest to
keep clear of bits that may stop it), a rack mounted on the gate and a
motor driving a gear wheel against the rack, with stop switches for both
ends of the movement. Safety switches are also recommended; you can put
a light beam across that will stop the gate closing if anything is in
the way or an edge detector that will reverse the action by a few inches
if the gate hits anything. Flashing yellow lights are optional.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
Sliding gates are pretty common in industry and we have some that slide over
single track railway lines.
Things you have to consider are construction of gate (wood steel plastic
etc) size of opening and operational use.
The gate can be a balanced unit which does not require any support (railway
line type) or a supported unit.
The prior has a longer gate than the gap with counter weight built in and is
supported by a framework with 2 oblong frames which support the gate as it
travels using rollers at the top bottom and sides.
The latter can run on a track in the ground or have a leading edge jockey
wheel to support the gate.
If you choose to automate the gate be aware of the latest BS regs as since
the nasty accidents recently arising from badly setup electric gates the
onus now falls equally on the installer and operator if someone is injured.
If you need more info let me know.
HTH
CJ

"robgraham" wrote in message

One disadvantage in going to my daughter's for the evening is being
asked all sorts of DIY questions by my S-i-L.

I can see where he is coming from on this one, but I'm not sure how to
implement it. The garage is set back from the house by about a metre,
and the house and the garage walls are so aligned that a sliding gate
along the house wall seems an obvious solution. But I've never seen
such a set up and wondered what would be the solution.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I can see where he is coming from on this one, but I'm not sure how to
implement it.

I've seen it done using normal slide rails such as
http://uk.misumi-ec.com/eu/ItemDetail/10300068360.html (The sort you
get on 19" server racks but stainless steel). It worked well but
people tended to pull and push it before sliding it (despite a big
"SLIDE" sign) so got bent a few times.

Small sliding gate - plans, ideas, readymade? bryan[_2_] Home Repair 11 May 17th 09 04:04 PM
Z Bar Garden gate no name UK diy 3 October 10th 07 05:31 PM
Garden gate samson Woodworking 2 July 2nd 07 04:33 AM
Garden Gate David Lang UK diy 1 July 13th 05 10:44 PM
d-i-y sliding steel double gate T i m UK diy 20 April 29th 04 03:11 PM