Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Silicone

I have my Fugi tool.
In a week or so I will be replacing the silicone around the bath.
Can the panel tell me what is the best sort of silicone to buy?

Taa

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 12:59*pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:
I have my Fugi tool.
In a week or so I will be replacing the silicone around the bath.
Can the panel tell me what is the best sort of silicone to buy?

Taa

Steve

I'll bump that one as I have a similar problem round the bathroom
sink. I even bought an Aldidl silicone remover tool.

Rob.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 08:55:25 +0100, robgraham
wrote:

On May 31, 12:59 pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:
I have my Fugi tool.
In a week or so I will be replacing the silicone around the bath.
Can the panel tell me what is the best sort of silicone to buy?

Taa

Steve

I'll bump that one as I have a similar problem round the bathroom
sink. I even bought an Aldidl silicone remover tool.

the black placcy thing from Henkel? I did too & shagged it on one run of
6ft silicone betwixt bath & tiles, bought a Cornertape metal version
(thanks due to TMH) to try next time - comes with a grinding stone to
resharpen pointy bits etc.

RE silicone - "best" in terms of?

Staying white longest? pass - maybe the Microban impregnated ones may -who
knows?

Staying adhered longest? IMO thats' down to prep of the surfaces, cleaning
as much of old gear off down to substrate, degreasing with meths and
cloths (microfibre ones are a boon), applying a reasonable amount of
silicone and choosing an appropriate bead size and shape.
Also immobilising bath edges etc before sealing rather than expecting a
small "ribbon" of silicone to accomodate mm's of movement.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
I have my Fugi tool.
In a week or so I will be replacing the silicone around the bath.
Can the panel tell me what is the best sort of silicone to buy?

Taa

Steve

Thank to all for the tips.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2012 12:59, Mr Pounder wrote:
I have my Fugi tool.
In a week or so I will be replacing the silicone around the bath.
Can the panel tell me what is the best sort of silicone to buy?

Taa

Steve

You don't have to use silicone. I used this:

http://www.marinemastics.com/marine-...x-onetube.html

bathroom, toilet, morris traveller resto.... hangs on, cleans off with
white spirit/turps sub. Only the last 1" seems to 'go off' in the tube &
is easily removed.

Phil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 14:34:27 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:56:03 +0100, Jim K wrote:

Also immobilising bath edges etc before sealing rather than expecting a
small "ribbon" of silicone to accomodate mm's of movement.

I doubt you can immobilse a bath edge but filling the bath with water
so it opens up the gaps is always recomended. Silicone takes
compression much better than tension.

Now that's good thinking.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A young teenager comes home from school and asks her mother, "Is it true what Rita just told me? That babies come out of the same place where boys put their thingies?"
"Yes, dear," replies her mother, pleased that the subject had finally come up and she wouldn't have to explain it.
"But then when I have a baby, won't it knock my teeth out?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newsp.we8fcgjlytk5n5@i7-940...
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:56:03 +0100, Jim K wrote:

Also immobilising bath edges etc before sealing rather than expecting a
small "ribbon" of silicone to accomodate mm's of movement.

I doubt you can immobilse a bath edge but filling the bath with water
so it opens up the gaps is always recomended. Silicone takes
compression much better than tension.

Now that's good thinking.

Did you not know that?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A young teenager comes home from school and asks her mother, "Is it true
what Rita just told me? That babies come out of the same place where boys
put their thingies?"
"Yes, dear," replies her mother, pleased that the subject had finally come
up and she wouldn't have to explain it.
"But then when I have a baby, won't it knock my teeth out?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:56:03 +0100, Jim K wrote:

Also immobilising bath edges etc before sealing rather than expecting a
small "ribbon" of silicone to accomodate mm's of movement.

I doubt you can immobilse a bath edge but filling the bath with water
so it opens up the gaps is always recomended. Silicone takes
compression much better than tension.

Now that's good thinking.

Did you not know that?

Him? Did HE not know that? You have to ask?
LMFAO
He has a degree you know.
36 and nothing up top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't have a degree in plumbing you ****t.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A. Top posters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:56:03 +0100, Jim K wrote:

Also immobilising bath edges etc before sealing rather than expecting a
small "ribbon" of silicone to accomodate mm's of movement.

I doubt you can immobilse a bath edge but filling the bath with water
so it opens up the gaps is always recomended. Silicone takes
compression much better than tension.

Now that's good thinking.

Did you not know that?

There are more things you do not know than things I do not know.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A. Top posters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:56:03 +0100, Jim K wrote:

Also immobilising bath edges etc before sealing rather than expecting a
small "ribbon" of silicone to accomodate mm's of movement.

I doubt you can immobilse a bath edge ....

Screw a batten to the wall and "hang" the edge on it.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:56:03 +0100, Jim K wrote:

Also immobilising bath edges etc before sealing rather than expecting a
small "ribbon" of silicone to accomodate mm's of movement.

I doubt you can immobilse a bath edge ....

Screw a batten to the wall and "hang" the edge on it.

Jim K

Wot I did - 3 sides. The open side was "hung" on an open frame to which the
panel is screwed. Very little movement even with my fat ass in it

2x4 batten works well if you want a very solid support. 2x2 would probably
be sufficient if screwed every 18" or so.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 19:12:11 +0100, "Lieutenant Scott"
wrote:

There are more things you do not know than things I do not know.

No, it's what you don't know you don't know that will trip you up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:56:03 +0100, Jim K wrote:

Also immobilising bath edges etc before sealing rather than expecting a
small "ribbon" of silicone to accomodate mm's of movement.

I doubt you can immobilse a bath edge ....

Screw a batten to the wall and "hang" the edge on it.

Jim K

Wot I did - 3 sides. The open side was "hung" on an open frame to which the
panel is screwed. Very little movement even with my fat ass in it

2x4 batten works well if you want a very solid support. 2x2 would probably
be sufficient if screwed every 18" or so.
--

I did that too. But make sure the underneath ends up taking some/most of the weight (tighten up the legs, etc) since the baths are not designed to hang from their edges.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

There are more things you do not know than things I do not know.

No, it's what you don't know you don't know that will trip you up.

I don't know much about Philosophy, and I think I need to for this thread.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

I had some words with my wife, and she had some paragraphs with me.