Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default low voltage PIR trigger setup for IP cctv cam

getting Pd off with motion detecing IP cams sending 100s of emails of
moving bushes and sunshine/shade changes.

One of the IP cams has 2 channels for I/O - so I'm pondering how to send a
signal to it to take a snap when something goes across the cam;s field of
view.

PIR would be perfect but a very narrow "beam" is required to make sure I
get the subject in the centre of the frame... and the IP cam is not going
to be happy with 240v up its I/O - so ???

low voltage PIR? what from where?

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

something else?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
getting Pd off with motion detecing IP cams sending 100s of emails of
moving bushes and sunshine/shade changes.

One of the IP cams has 2 channels for I/O - so I'm pondering how to
send a signal to it to take a snap when something goes across the
cam;s field of view.

PIR would be perfect but a very narrow "beam" is required to make
sure I get the subject in the centre of the frame... and the IP cam
is not going to be happy with 240v up its I/O - so ???

low voltage PIR? what from where?

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

something else?

Normal 12V PIR detector?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 May 2012 20:29:00 +0100, ARWadsworth
wrote:

Jim K wrote:
getting Pd off with motion detecing IP cams sending 100s of emails of
moving bushes and sunshine/shade changes.

One of the IP cams has 2 channels for I/O - so I'm pondering how to
send a signal to it to take a snap when something goes across the
cam;s field of view.

PIR would be perfect but a very narrow "beam" is required to make
sure I get the subject in the centre of the frame... and the IP cam
is not going to be happy with 240v up its I/O - so ???

low voltage PIR? what from where?

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

something else?

Normal 12V PIR detector?

any recommendations?

cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Use a std 15m quad pir with a pet lens (preferably as narrows vertical
field) then use masking tabs supplied to refine horizontal.
A std pir will be ok but quads are nearly as cheep and more reliable against
false alarming .
HTH
CJ

"Jim K" wrote in message news
getting Pd off with motion detecing IP cams sending 100s of emails of
moving bushes and sunshine/shade changes.

One of the IP cams has 2 channels for I/O - so I'm pondering how to send a
signal to it to take a snap when something goes across the cam;s field of
view.

PIR would be perfect but a very narrow "beam" is required to make sure I
get the subject in the centre of the frame... and the IP cam is not going
to be happy with 240v up its I/O - so ???

low voltage PIR? what from where?

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

something else?

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2012 20:00, Jim K wrote:
getting Pd off with motion detecing IP cams sending 100s of emails of
moving bushes and sunshine/shade changes.

One of the IP cams has 2 channels for I/O - so I'm pondering how to send
a signal to it to take a snap when something goes across the cam;s field
of view.

PIR would be perfect but a very narrow "beam" is required to make sure I
get the subject in the centre of the frame... and the IP cam is not
going to be happy with 240v up its I/O - so ???

low voltage PIR? what from where?

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

something else?

Illuminator, reflector, and a photocell break beam detector?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
getting Pd off with motion detecing IP cams sending 100s of emails of
moving bushes and sunshine/shade changes.

One of the IP cams has 2 channels for I/O - so I'm pondering how to send a
signal to it to take a snap when something goes across the cam;s field of
view.

PIR would be perfect but a very narrow "beam" is required to make sure I
get the subject in the centre of the frame... and the IP cam is not going
to be happy with 240v up its I/O - so ???

low voltage PIR? what from where?

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

something else?

Yeah, decent software that allows you to specify a subset of the
camera view to monitor for movement and is smart enough to
not be triggered by sunshine/shade changes due to small clouds
passing the sun etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 May 2012 20:00:48 +0100, Jim K wrote:

low voltage PIR? what from where?

As used with intruder alarm systems. Many to choose from...

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

Some 240v PIRs operate relays rather than being solid state. Wether
the relay contacts are "volt free" is another matter...

On both adjust the area "seen" by the PIR with bits of sticky tape.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 May 2012 22:09:03 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
getting Pd off with motion detecing IP cams sending 100s of emails of
moving bushes and sunshine/shade changes.

One of the IP cams has 2 channels for I/O - so I'm pondering how to
send a signal to it to take a snap when something goes across the cam;s
field of view.

PIR would be perfect but a very narrow "beam" is required to make sure
I get the subject in the centre of the frame... and the IP cam is not
going to be happy with 240v up its I/O - so ???

low voltage PIR? what from where?

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

something else?

Yeah, decent software that allows you to specify a subset of the
camera view to monitor for movement and is smart enough to
not be triggered by sunshine/shade changes due to small clouds
passing the sun etc.

mmm unlikely as the IP cams are firmware based, run on cut down unix tghus
unable to upload "better software" to....

thanks anyway Rodders

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 May 2012 22:25:15 +0100, Dave Liquorice
wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2012 20:00:48 +0100, Jim K wrote:

low voltage PIR? what from where?

As used with intruder alarm systems. Many to choose from...

including ones rated for exterior usage?

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

Some 240v PIRs operate relays rather than being solid state. Wether
the relay contacts are "volt free" is another matter...

precisement - which "some" are those though?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote:

getting Pd off with motion detecing IP cams sending 100s of emails
of moving bushes and sunshine/shade changes.

One of the IP cams has 2 channels for I/O - so I'm pondering how to
send a signal to it to take a snap when something goes across the
cam;s field of view.

PIR would be perfect but a very narrow "beam" is required to make
sure I get the subject in the centre of the frame... and the IP cam
is not going to be happy with 240v up its I/O - so ???

low voltage PIR? what from where?

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

something else?

Cheers
Jim K

Zoneminder has very closely programmable Zones, to let you define
where you want something to trigger the alarm, and recording.
http://www.zoneminder.com/
No PIR, just the camera feed.
If this is way off track, apologies.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim K wrote

[...]

I meant run that on whatever you record the output to, not on them
themselves.

Much more elegant than farting around with a separate PIR with sticky tape
on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:41:11 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Jim K wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim K wrote

[...]

FFS your true colours come shining through again Rodders - JFG "IP camera"
will you.... ;)))))
then come back with any more dumb queries, so we can chuckle...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote:

[...]

ZM also needs a PC running 24/7..

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:41:11 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Jim K wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim K wrote

[...]

Steady Jim, you'll be plonked.
LMFAO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:41:11 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Jim K wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim K wrote

[...]

You're a terminal ****wit.

- JFG "IP camera" will you.... ;)))))

Don't need to, that refers to how the video gets back
to what you want to record/view it on, ****wit.

reams of your puerile **** any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed
where it belongs

Using some decent software on the image from the IP camera
makes a hell of a lot more sense than farting around with a
separate PIR and sticky tape, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

"Jim K" wrote:

[...]

No big deal when that can be a dirt cheap obsolete laptop.

Leaves farting around with a separate PIR and sticky tape for dead,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:41:11 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Jim K wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim K wrote

[...]

(repost)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

news

"Jim K" wrote:

[...]

Corse it does.
LMFAO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2012 01:01:12 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:41:11 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Jim K wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim K wrote

[...]

clearly you do need to ****wit Rodders - you don't even know the basics of
IP cameras do you? - read the first ****ing post in the thread for how the
images are sent you steaming great tit ;)

Your pathetic attempt at insults any 3 year old could leave for dead
flushed where it belongs. Wouldnt want you to lose all credibility would
we boy ?

Rod K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2012 01:04:16 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

news

"Jim K" wrote:

[...]

and is a ****ty bodgey backwards step Rodders solution....

no thanks

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 29 May 2012 01:01:12 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:41:11 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Jim K wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim K wrote

[...]

Sure do. Its you that's so ****ing stupid that you cant work
out the difference between an IP camera that does nothing
more than a normal wired camera does video processing
wise and one that does that other video processing stuff as well.

reams of your puerile **** any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed
where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 29 May 2012 01:01:12 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
news On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:41:11 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Jim K wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim K wrote

[...]

LOL, terrific (40 years ago) rodney.
Hey rodney, any chance that you might get a job soon?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 29 May 2012 01:04:16 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

news

"Jim K" wrote:

[...]

And farting around with a separate PIR and sticking tape aint ?

Yeah, right.

You're so stupid you cant even manage to pick a decent IP
camera that allows you to specify a subset of the image to
monitor for movement and one that's been designed toi
handle sunshine/shade changes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo om,
scorched escribió:

Steady Jim, you'll be plonked.
LMFAO

I'm sure he will be devastated :-)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Jim K
escribió:

Wouldnt want you to lose all credibility would
we boy ?

Assumes he had any to lose.

Rod Speed FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/883xp7v

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2012 01:40:20 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 29 May 2012 01:04:16 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
news On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:36:52 +0100, Davey

"Jim K" wrote:

[...]

KISIS

You're so stupid you cant even manage to pick a decent IP
camera that allows you to specify a subset of the image to
monitor for movement

ALL my IP cams have this feature you think is so "rare"

You can wipe that egg off your silly little face now.

and one that's been designed toi
handle sunshine/shade changes.

and your "well" (if at all) researched IP camera recommendations would
be......?

Rod K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2012 05:49:38 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , Jim K
escribió:

Wouldnt want you to lose all credibility would
we boy ?

Assumes he had any to lose.

Rod Speed FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/883xp7v

think of himm as a resource...

http://www.sensationbot.com/jschat.php?db=rodspeed

fun to watch him virtually slagging himself off ;))

Rod K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:32:09 +0100, Jim K wrote:

As used with intruder alarm systems. Many to choose from...

including ones rated for exterior usage?

I don't recall "exterior" being in the spec. B-)

precisement - which "some" are those though?

An excerise for the readers googlabilty, one source:

http://www.gjd.co.uk/products/wired-detectors/

But you probably aren't going to like the price...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
getting Pd off with motion detecing IP cams sending 100s of emails of
moving bushes and sunshine/shade changes.

One of the IP cams has 2 channels for I/O - so I'm pondering how to send a
signal to it to take a snap when something goes across the cam;s field of
view.

PIR would be perfect but a very narrow "beam" is required to make sure I
get the subject in the centre of the frame... and the IP cam is not going
to be happy with 240v up its I/O - so ???

low voltage PIR? what from where?

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

something else?

Arbor disk in angle grinder or a chain saw.

There are IP cameras with built in PIR detectors.
They don't work through glass.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jim K wrote just the puerile
**** any 2 year old could leave for dead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2012 10:31:37 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jim K wrote just the puerile
**** any 2 year old could leave for dead.

ergo by your response you would be confirming that you have a mental age
of less than 2 Rodders ;)))

(but we knew that ;)))))))

Rod K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2012 10:07:33 +0100, dennis@home
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
getting Pd off with motion detecing IP cams sending 100s of emails of
moving bushes and sunshine/shade changes.

One of the IP cams has 2 channels for I/O - so I'm pondering how to
send a signal to it to take a snap when something goes across the cam;s
field of view.

PIR would be perfect but a very narrow "beam" is required to make sure
I get the subject in the centre of the frame... and the IP cam is not
going to be happy with 240v up its I/O - so ???

low voltage PIR? what from where?

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

something else?

Arbor disk in angle grinder or a chain saw.

right..... "inspired & sectionable" Dennis rides in

There are IP cameras with built in PIR detectors.
They don't work through glass.

MMM I already have the cameras with I/O capability - I want to cobble up a
triggering method ...OK?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:30:07 +0100, Dave Liquorice
wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:32:09 +0100, Jim K wrote:

As used with intruder alarm systems. Many to choose from...

including ones rated for exterior usage?

I don't recall "exterior" being in the spec. B-)

point taken - i want an outside pir ;)
isn't there just some relay i can bung across a pirs switched output
(where the floodlight would usually go) and close the ip cams i/o circuit?
either momentarily or for the duration of how the pir is setup?
don't know just yet how the cam "wants it" but t'will be one or t'other

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2012 14:04, Jim K wrote:

wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2012 20:00:48 +0100, Jim K wrote:

low voltage PIR? what from where?

As used with intruder alarm systems. Many to choose from...

including ones rated for exterior usage?

a normal 240v PIR and some sort of a relay?

Some 240v PIRs operate relays rather than being solid state. Wether
the relay contacts are "volt free" is another matter...

precisement - which "some" are those though?

Something like:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/140-standalone-pir/11291

Is certainly relay based. One side is wired to mains live to provide a
switched mains output as its "normal" output. However isolating that
should not be too difficult. (I can't remember if its wired literally,
or if you would need to cut a PCB trace)

thanks john , out of curiosity - how do you know?

I have a couple fitted here. They click when they activate ;-)

i'll happily acquire one and delve in with me meter, standby..... ;)

For reliable "person" detection, then using a pair with some external
logic to detect sequence triggers rather than simple single triggers
is a way that many intruder alarms minimize false triggers.

would such logic be available for an electro numpty like me to buy
reasonably pricedly?

Should doable if you don't mind knocking up something on a bit of
veroboard. (obviously posh ardunio type solutions would also work - but
probably overkill)!

In fact, you could probably use one with no modification, but use its
live out to provide the live in to the relay on the second one. Then use
its live out to drive an external relay to give you your no volt
contacts for your trigger. That would take advantage of the timer
mechanism built into them to reset your trigger as well. So the first
would act as an "activation trigger" - it goes live - set to hold on for
the shortest delay available (few secs), that then enables the output
from the second one

If you think the break beam detector would be reliable, then maplin have
a small kit for under a tenner. (you would probably want to knobble the
buzzer on it though!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Using some decent software on the image from the IP camera
makes a hell of a lot more sense than farting around with a
separate PIR and sticky tape, ****wit.

I use this with my IP cameras:
http://www.pysoft.com/ActiveWebCamMainpage.htm

It runs on a low spec Atom based PC, and can be configured to email /
ftp video or photos as required when it detects movement in the areas
you specify.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

its live out to drive an extertal relay to give you your no volt
contacts for your trigger. That would take advantage of the timer
mechanism built into them to reset your trigger as well. So the first
would act as an "activation trigger" - it goes live - set to hold on for
the shortest delay available (few secs), that then enables the output
from the second one

mmm intellisting - can you point me to a suitable relay plse?

Also in practical terms how would the 2 PIRs be "aimed" etc to achieve the
reduction in false positives as compared to say a single PIR?

each PIR pointing across the target zone with a gap between? if so how
would that catch persons moving in both L-R and R-L directions?? (i.e. if
PIR 2's function relied on PIR 1 being triggered first, then wouldn;t that
only work "one way"?)

I imagined taping up a lone PIR's detector lens (by trial & error) such
that a vertical "slit" of detection zone was left to trigger the IP cam to
take a snap whilst the subject was mid-frame in the cam's field of view....

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

use its live out to drive an extertal relay to give you your no volt
contacts for your trigger. That would take advantage of the timer
mechanism built into them to reset your trigger as well. So the first
would act as an "activation trigger" - it goes live - set to hold on
for the shortest delay available (few secs), that then enables the
output from the second one

mmm intellisting - can you point me to a suitable relay plse?

Any relay with a 230V coil will do, say:

http://cpc.farnell.com/omron-industr...vac/dp/SW03490

(Has more switched poles than you need)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/5a-miniature-relay-37515

is cheaper, see item N13AW

Also in practical terms how would the 2 PIRs be "aimed" etc to achieve
the reduction in false positives as compared to say a single PIR?

Well that rather depends on the circumstances... if for example you were
attempting to track people walking through a zone, then you may want a
pre-trigger on entry to the zone, and then the secondary in the middle
of it.

each PIR pointing across the target zone with a gap between? if so how
would that catch persons moving in both L-R and R-L directions?? (i.e.
if PIR 2's function relied on PIR 1 being triggered first, then wouldn;t
that only work "one way"?)

Yes, with two like that - it would be one way. You could use more PIRs,
or perhaps have the two on different axis. So you need both to see the
same target but against different backgrounds.

I imagined taping up a lone PIR's detector lens (by trial & error) such
that a vertical "slit" of detection zone was left to trigger the IP cam
to take a snap whilst the subject was mid-frame in the cam's field of
view....

It may well work in practice, although you might find under certain
conditions (foliage waving in the wind etc) that you get false triggers.
That is why beam break detection can be more reliable since it needs
something to obscure the line of sight between source and receiver.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2012 19:26, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/05/2012 18:43, Jim K wrote:

mmm intellisting - can you point me to a suitable relay plse?

Any relay with a 230V coil will do, say:

http://cpc.farnell.com/omron-industr...vac/dp/SW03490

(Has more switched poles than you need)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/5a-miniature-relay-37515

is cheaper, see item N13AW

Sorry, should have also said, that you may be able to isolate the mains
feed to the contact side of the relay in both PIRs and then use them in
series as your no volt contacts - i.e. only triggering when both are "lit"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2012 19:26:41 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

each PIR pointing across the target zone with a gap between? if so

how
would that catch persons moving in both L-R and R-L directions??

(i.e.
if PIR 2's function relied on PIR 1 being triggered first, then
wouldn;t that only work "one way"?)

Yes, with two like that - it would be one way. You could use more PIRs,
or perhaps have the two on different axis.

Or the first one covers the whole area and the second has the narrow
band.

--
Cheers
Dave.