Junior Member

Default Kitchen wiring

I was wondering whether someone can help?

We are renovating our kitchen and have bought a new stand-alone single oven cooker with gas hob. According to building regs does it need to have an isolation switch above the worktop or can it be plugged into a (fairly inaccessible) socket below the worktop?

Thank you!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2012 23:47, PhilandLou wrote:
I was wondering whether someone can help?

We are renovating our kitchen and have bought a new stand-alone single
oven cooker with gas hob. According to building regs does it need to
have an isolation switch above the worktop or can it be plugged into a
(fairly inaccessible) socket below the worktop?

If its all gas and the only electrical requirement if for say
illumination and ignition, then there would be no requirement for a
separate isolator.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PhilandLou wrote:
I was wondering whether someone can help?

We are renovating our kitchen and have bought a new stand-alone single
oven cooker with gas hob. According to building regs does it need to
have an isolation switch above the worktop or can it be plugged into a
(fairly inaccessible) socket below the worktop?

It will say in the bumph that came with the oven - mine is the same set up
as yours and it's plugged into a socket mounted inside the adjacent
cupboard.
Some need hard wiring into the mains.
That said, I've always had a gas oven prior to this POS - it takes an hour
to get warm then stays hot for 4 hours after it's switched off and uses a
fortune in power, plus food isn't cooked the way I like it - pizza comes out
baked rock hard underneath while the toppings haven't even defrosted. Even
fresh pizza doesn;t cook well and meat is a disaster, given that you have to
bake it for at least an hour longer than it says on the packaging.

And yes, I do mean bake - you can't roast anything without a spit

Junior Member

It's a dual fuel cooker - the oven is electric and the hob gas.. sorry I didn't make that clear. I just wanted to check that there aren't regs which require me to have an accessible isolation switch for the cooker.

Thank you!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
PhilandLou wrote:
[...]

What's the make and model details ?

Wiring second kitchen cln Home Repair 42 April 22nd 11 12:52 AM
Kitchen Wiring AT[_4_] Home Repair 11 June 1st 08 03:44 AM
wiring a kitchen light shaz4gaz UK diy 16 November 2nd 06 11:15 PM
Wiring kitchen ring query when kitchen part installed Jonathan UK diy 0 April 26th 05 05:56 PM
Wiring in kitchen [email protected] UK diy 4 April 1st 05 12:48 AM