Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Jump starter / power sources

I had a cheap one of these a few years ago and found it generally
disappointing. I've got a use for one now and was looking at these:

http://www.northerntooluk.com/search...&search=SEARCH

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...n-1-jump-start

Anyone prepared to give a recommendation? (Compressor would be useful if
it can do a car tyre in a reasonable time).

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a Lidl one bought years ago - appeared the same as Halfords sold at
40 quid, but half the price. It started my BMW the other day, which
surprised me. The BMW battery had failed so the starter relay chattered
but wouldn't engage, so not a totally dead battery.
But I find it worth it for the compressor alone. Cable ones which plug
into the fag lighter are such a chore. ;-)
And of course it is a useful source of 12 volts for lots of things.

--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.northerntooluk.com/search...2354e&search=S....

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...e-js5in1-5-in-...

Anyone prepared to give a recommendation? (Compressor would be useful if
it can do a car tyre in a reasonable time).

TIA

for jump starting you need a semi-decent battery size,

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article m,
newshound wrote:
I had a cheap one of these a few years ago and found it generally
disappointing. I've got a use for one now and was looking at these:

http://www.northerntooluk.com/search...&search=SEARCH

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...n-1-jump-start

Anyone prepared to give a recommendation? (Compressor would be useful if
it can do a car tyre in a reasonable time).

Do you actually need the 240v facility? I can't think when I'd ever use
it. It adds considerably to the price - a basic jump start pack with the
same battery capacity and compressor costs about 40 quid.

--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In aweb.com,
wrote:
I had a cheap one of these a few years ago and found it generally
disappointing. I've got a use for one now and was looking at these:

http://www.northerntooluk.com/search...&search=SEARCH

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...n-1-jump-start

Anyone prepared to give a recommendation? (Compressor would be useful if
it can do a car tyre in a reasonable time).

Do you actually need the 240v facility? I can't think when I'd ever use
it. It adds considerably to the price - a basic jump start pack with the
same battery capacity and compressor costs about 40 quid.

Not particularly although it would be convenient to have. My concern
about the "budget" models is whether they have very cheap batteries and
whether the more serious ones will last longer.

I want it for a stables where there is no mains power. I have a small
genny but if you just want a limited amount of mains this would save
getting it out and firing it up. Wouldn't normally be jump starting big
vehicles but I have a ride-on mower which flattens its battery if you
forget to disconnect it after use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 10:24*am, newshound wrote:

In aweb.com,
* * *wrote:
[...]

What are the specs of the lead acids in thm? That's what matters most.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
NT wrote:
What are the specs of the lead acids in thm? That's what matters most.

Most seem to be the same 18 amp.hr. The claims about the current they
deliver may vary. However, a battery that size won't do many jump starts
at maximum power before sufferening damage IMHO. Of course it will depend
on the actual state of the 'flat' battery, the size of the engine and the
temperature etc as to how much current is needed.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
What are the specs of the lead acids in thm? That's what matters most.

Most seem to be the same 18 amp.hr. The claims about the current they
deliver may vary. However, a battery that size won't do many jump starts
at maximum power before sufferening damage IMHO. Of course it will depend
on the actual state of the 'flat' battery, the size of the engine and the
temperature etc as to how much current is needed.

That's exactly why I was looking for some feedback. Didn't think to
check Amazon before posting, and there are quite a few on there
including this one, which mostly gets good reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/station-Emer...sim_sbs_auto_2

and there are a couple of Rings with 20 AH batteries that look a bit
more robust.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 11:23*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *NT wrote:

What are the specs of the lead acids in thm? That's what matters most.

Most seem to be the same 18 amp.hr. The claims about the current they
deliver may vary. However, a battery that size won't do many jump starts
at maximum power before sufferening damage IMHO. Of course it will depend
on the actual state of the 'flat' battery, the size of the engine and the
temperature etc as to how much current is needed.

Unless you're using it in business, few jump starts are actually
needed, unless you neglect basic maintenance.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
NT wrote:
Most seem to be the same 18 amp.hr. The claims about the current they
deliver may vary. However, a battery that size won't do many jump
starts at maximum power before sufferening damage IMHO. Of course it
will depend on the actual state of the 'flat' battery, the size of the
engine and the temperature etc as to how much current is needed.

Unless you're using it in business, few jump starts are actually
needed, unless you neglect basic maintenance.

I doubt anyone with sense would use such a thing for 'business'. A second
decent ordinary battery and a set of jump leads would be the way to go.

However, I can see the OP's point in asking for feedback, as the quality
of all types of batteries can vary dramatically.

--
*Taxation WITH representation ain't much fun, either.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NT writes:
What are the specs of the lead acids in thm? That's what matters most.

18AH is the common size used, and the minimum which is at all
viable. (There are smaller ones around, and in the small print
you'll find some words to the effect "for cars up to 800cc" ;-)

A bigger problem is that many of these 18AH batteries are fakes,
and have smaller ones inside them. Somewhere on YouTube is a video
of someone disecting a Maplin one, and the 18AH battery actually
contained a 7AH battery and plastic padding. It's very easy to
tell just by weighing the battery - the fakes are much lighter.

Also, I have noticed a reduction in quality of other parts, such
as the tyre valve coupler on some recent ones, to the point where
it's unlikely to last more than about two uses before falling to
bits. I have one I bought from CPC many years ago, and because
it was quite good overall quality, I decided to replace the battery
in it when it died, even though buying a whole new unit would have
been cheaper. I replaced it with a deep discharge one. The original
wasn't, but it was a good make, which I suspect is less likely
today.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 May 2012 12:24:31 +0100, newshound wrote:

and there are a couple of Rings with 20 AH batteries that look a bit
more robust.

Ring, hum I'd be cautious. I don't think I come across anything from
Ring that is above average in quality.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 May 2012 10:24:44 +0100, newshound wrote:

I want it for a stables where there is no mains power. I have a small
genny but if you just want a limited amount of mains this would save
getting it out and firing it up.

Would be a limited amout of mains power as well from an 18AHr
battery. 30 mins at a couple of hundred watts if that. I've not done
the sums but my UPS with 7AHr batteries struggles to make 10 mins at
200-300W.

Wouldn't normally be jump starting big vehicles but I have a ride-on
mower which flattens its battery if you forget to disconnect it after
use.

Why not get one of the solar cell "battery saver" things. I have one
for the genset just to counter the self discharge. Which reminds me I
noticed when getting the mower out for the first time this year it's
not connected ATM...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On May 24, 11:23 am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
NT wrote:

What are the specs of the lead acids in thm? That's what matters most.

Most seem to be the same 18 amp.hr. The claims about the current they
deliver may vary. However, a battery that size won't do many jump starts
at maximum power before sufferening damage IMHO. Of course it will depend
on the actual state of the 'flat' battery, the size of the engine and the
temperature etc as to how much current is needed.

Unless you're using it in business, few jump starts are actually
needed, unless you neglect basic maintenance.

Unless you have a daughter that's been thrown out of the AA for calling
them out to her works car par because she's left the lights on all day.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2012 15:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Because it is parked in the shade, in any case I suspect the drain is
too much (maybe the generator?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2012 15:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 24 May 2012 12:24:31 +0100, newshound wrote:

and there are a couple of Rings with 20 AH batteries that look a bit
more robust.

Ring, hum I'd be cautious. I don't think I come across anything from
Ring that is above average in quality.

Thanks, noted. Never used their stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
newshound wrote:
Because it is parked in the shade, in any case I suspect the drain is
too much (maybe the generator?)

Dunno lawn mowers, but on a car alternator if a rectifier diode fails
short circuit (the most common failure mode) it will draw considerable
current with the engine stopped. But since they are three phase, can still
charge the battery reasonably well.

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 2:38*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *NT wrote:

Most seem to be the same 18 amp.hr. The claims about the current they
deliver may vary. However, a battery that size won't do many jump
starts at maximum power before sufferening damage IMHO. Of course it
will depend on the actual state of the 'flat' battery, the size of the
engine and the temperature etc as to how much current is needed.

Unless you're using it in business, few jump starts are actually
needed, unless you neglect basic maintenance.

I doubt anyone with sense would use such a thing for 'business'. A second

indeed

decent ordinary battery and a set of jump leads would be the way to go.

However, I can see the OP's point in asking for feedback, as the quality
of all types of batteries can vary dramatically.

It can, but since these things generally inhabit a niche of minimal
use and tough price competition, I doubt the op would find anything
above the cheapest type of battery in the various low end brands.

Probably more useful to go get a used car battery, and dont let it go
flat.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
NT wrote:
It can, but since these things generally inhabit a niche of minimal
use and tough price competition, I doubt the op would find anything
above the cheapest type of battery in the various low end brands.

The one in my Lidl one is very good. And it was cheap as chips. Sadly, at
this end of the market price isn't a guide.

Probably more useful to go get a used car battery, and dont let it go
flat.

A jump start pack is very convenient - you can carry it with one hand,
which you can't always with a normal car battery and a pair of jump leads.
They have spill proof batteries too. Other useful think on mine is the
on/off switch.

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 May 2012 17:18:38 +0100, newshound wrote:

Because it is parked in the shade,

My small 12 x 4" roughly solar battery saver panel sits in a north
facing window. It might get the sun in the next 15 minutes (I've just
looked) but even then it'll be a the shadow of some birch trees.
Sunset is about 2100 or maybe later ATM.

It still produces enough to keep the battery OK, it would do better
if I disconnected the pretty blue flashing LED...

... in any case I suspect the drain is too much (maybe the generator?)

I'd expect the ignition switch to disconnect everything. How quickly
does the battery die?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2012 19:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 24 May 2012 17:18:38 +0100, newshound wrote:

Because it is parked in the shade,

My small 12 x 4" roughly solar battery saver panel sits in a north
facing window. It might get the sun in the next 15 minutes (I've just
looked) but even then it'll be a the shadow of some birch trees.
Sunset is about 2100 or maybe later ATM.

It still produces enough to keep the battery OK, it would do better
if I disconnected the pretty blue flashing LED...

... in any case I suspect the drain is too much (maybe the generator?)

I'd expect the ignition switch to disconnect everything. How quickly
does the battery die?

On cars the ignition switch does not usually disconnect the alternator,
it relies on the diodes being OK. And of course it doesn't disconnect
the starter or solenoid.

I've only just got it, and have been fixing mechanical problems in the
drive train. I'll get a meter on it and investigate when I've sorted out
the cutter. But the bloke I bought it off said you need to disconnect
the battery, and it came with "quick disconnect" clips so I've no reason
to doubt him.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-24, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I'd expect the ignition switch to disconnect everything.

This hasn't been true for years.

It never has. It has never disconnected the starter or the lights.
Incidentally when the alternator diodes went in my wife's car the cable
to the alternator burnt through.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 May 2012 02:14:47 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

I'd expect the ignition switch to disconnect everything.

This hasn't been true for years.

It never has. It has never disconnected the starter or the lights.

We are talking mowers not cars...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-25, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2012 02:14:47 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

I'd expect the ignition switch to disconnect everything.
This hasn't been true for years.

It never has. It has never disconnected the starter or the lights.

We are talking mowers not cars...

My mower has an electric starter and lights. )

so does mine. Or it did. Collision with one too many trees resulting in
the lights ending up on the exhaust pipe hae rather buggered the
lighting biznai.

Sadly, it also has a buggered engine at the moment. (

Ah, that bit still works on mine.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Banned

Haven't used the JS5IN1 in anger. However, on first impressions, it appears well built and sturdy - weighty, but not too heavy. Unit was well boxed and almost fully charged on delivery. Instruction manual suggests completing a full charge every three months if the product isn't used. The charging port is located inside a flap that houses the air hose. I could possibly see this flap getting broken during charging. Would recommend as a handy piece of emergency equipment.I am using JUMP-N-CARRY JUMP STARTER . This is a typical jump starter kit of new generation. Compact sized and very strong with 12V – 3400 peak amperes/850 cranking amperes, 24V – 1700 peak amperes/425 cranking amperes. It works with 12 and 24-volt batteries which are good to know and it can be used not only for car but for trucks and big machinery.

In fact, this product is somewhere between very capable commercial and industrial grade jump starter and user reported that this proven itself starting multiple heavy trucks without recharging. One interesting thing is the weight and at 40 pounds (almost 20 kg) is a pretty heavy piece of kit.

However, the weight is good and heavier battery means more power and durability. If you need such a powerful and heavy device and you have need for stronger jump starters this could be a product for you. I got great reviews about it before purchased from
Best Jump Starter Kit ( Comprehensive Guide 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshound View Post