Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. You couldn't make it up !

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...m-7770735.html

I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending the
next 3 weeks in Spain - so will miss all the hoo ha - and doubtless some
getting heated about this post. Back in mid - June.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...m-7770735.html

I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending
the next 3 weeks in Spain - so will miss all the hoo ha - and
doubtless some getting heated about this post.

Back in mid - June.

Just in time to watch England vs Ukraine:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 May 2012 20:14:20 +0100, "Hugh - Was Invisible"
wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...m-7770735.html

I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending the
next 3 weeks in Spain - so will miss all the hoo ha - and doubtless some
getting heated about this post. Back in mid - June.

""If the women had been leather-clad bikers or youths you would expect
to call the police.""

**** the poisonous old bitch - hope her tearoom burns to the ground.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 May 2012 20:20:55 +0100, ARWadsworth
wrote:

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...m-7770735.html

I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending
the next 3 weeks in Spain - so will miss all the hoo ha - and
doubtless some getting heated about this post.

Back in mid - June.

Just in time to watch England vs Ukraine:-)

No- We'll see France in a bar in Spain the day before we return to the UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible" wrote in message
newsp.weoad6vwgtk8fg@hugh-lap...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...m-7770735.html

I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending the
next 3 weeks in Spain - so will miss all the hoo ha - and doubtless some
getting heated about this post. Back in mid - June.

I would object most strongly to having to stand for the Liechtenstein
National Anthem (or the US "America" (aka "My Country 'Tis of Thee")
either!).

Paul DS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 21, 2012 8:14:20 PM UTC+1, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

Free publicity for a mediocre tea shop.
Nothing to see here, move along please.

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get out of cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Onetap wrote:
On Monday, May 21, 2012 8:14:20 PM UTC+1, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

Free publicity for a mediocre tea shop.
Nothing to see here, move along please.

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get out of cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

A few people did that. Not many. Mostly bolshies.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 May 2012 11:31:40 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Onetap wrote:
On Monday, May 21, 2012 8:14:20 PM UTC+1, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

Free publicity for a mediocre tea shop.
Nothing to see here, move along please.

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get out of cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

A few people did that. Not many. Mostly bolshies.

I always thought that they were just trying to make sure that they
could catch the last bus home.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...hemed-tearoom-...

I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending the
next 3 weeks in Spain - so will miss all the hoo ha - and doubtless some
getting heated about this post. Back in mid - June.

""If the women had been leather-clad bikers or youths you would expect
to call the police.""

**** the poisonous old bitch - hope her tearoom burns to the ground.

I'd love to be able to do what my dad does in that on hearing the
anthem stands and lets out a loud rumbling FART .
Now that's class :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get out of cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

And well into the late 60s, as I recall.

A few people did that. Not many. Mostly bolshies.

Aye, but you're an old reactionary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/22/2012 3:40 AM, Paul D Smith wrote:
Hugh - Was Invisible" wrote in message
newsp.weoad6vwgtk8fg@hugh-lap...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...m-7770735.html

I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending
the next 3 weeks in Spain - so will miss all the hoo ha - and
doubtless some getting heated about this post. Back in mid - June.

I would object most strongly to having to stand for the Liechtenstein
National Anthem (or the US "America" (aka "My Country 'Tis of Thee")
either!).

'America' is not the US national anthem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get out of
cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

And well into the late 60s, as I recall.

but it had nothing to do with the anthem..
its the same reason people leave football matches early..
the infrastructure can't cope and you end up in big queues.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Onetap wrote:
On Monday, May 21, 2012 8:14:20 PM UTC+1, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

Free publicity for a mediocre tea shop. Nothing to see here, move
along please.

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get out of
cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

A few people did that. Not many. Mostly bolshies.

That was still the case in the 70s and 80s...

A minority of the audience stayed and stood.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 May 2012 13:43:52 +0200, Martin wrote:

A few people did that. Not many. Mostly bolshies.

Aye, but you're an old reactionary.

who stands at attention during the Queen's speech, even when he plays
back his recording of it.

Reminds me of Alf Garnett.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 13:46, John Williamson wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Onetap wrote:
On Monday, May 21, 2012 8:14:20 PM UTC+1, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

Free publicity for a mediocre tea shop. Nothing to see here, move
along please.

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get out
of cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

A few people did that. Not many. Mostly bolshies.

That was still the case in the 70s and 80s...

A minority of the audience stayed and stood.

I was in the RAF training in the 50s, the cinema (as all RAF stations
was the Astra) as the film can towards the end there was a rush to the
exits, obviously many did not wish to stand for the Queen. I never do
now, though I had to while in the RAF.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 12:38*pm, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/22/2012 3:40 AM, Paul D Smith wrote: Hugh - Was Invisible" wrote in message
newsp.weoad6vwgtk8fg@hugh-lap...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...hemed-tearoom-....

I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending
the next 3 weeks in Spain - so will miss all the hoo ha - and
doubtless some getting heated about this post. Back in mid - June.

I would object most strongly to having to stand for the Liechtenstein
National Anthem (or the US "America" (aka "My Country 'Tis of Thee")
either!).

'America' is not the US national anthem.

"I like to be in America
OK by me in America
Everything free in America
(For a small fee in America)"

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 May 2012 07:17:15 -0700 (PDT), Halmyre
wrote:

On May 22, 12:38*pm, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/22/2012 3:40 AM, Paul D Smith wrote: Hugh - Was Invisible" wrote in message
newsp.weoad6vwgtk8fg@hugh-lap...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...hemed-tearoom-...

I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending
the next 3 weeks in Spain - so will miss all the hoo ha - and
doubtless some getting heated about this post. Back in mid - June.

I would object most strongly to having to stand for the Liechtenstein
National Anthem (or the US "America" (aka "My Country 'Tis of Thee")
either!).

'America' is not the US national anthem.

"I like to be in America
OK by me in America
Everything free in America
(For a small fee in America)"

Cathy I'm lost I said though I knew she was sleeping...

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:11:42 PM UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get out of
cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

And well into the late 60s, as I recall.

Before my time. I believe you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get
out of cinemas at the end of the show, before the national
anthem started.

And well into the late 60s, as I recall.

but it had nothing to do with the anthem..
its the same reason people leave football matches early..
the infrastructure can't cope and you end up in big queues.

So wait and kiss the gf until the queues have gone.

The last time I left the cinema early was when I knew the fire alarm was
going to go off. I did not want to be stuck behind the queue of a 10 screen
multiplex emptying at the same time.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...m-7770735.html

I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and
spending the next 3 weeks in Spain - so will miss all the hoo ha
- and doubtless some getting heated about this post.

Back in mid - June.

Just in time to watch England vs Ukraine:-)

No- We'll see France in a bar in Spain the day before we return to
the UK

When I was the on call electrician at a football stadium for a private match
I was ordered to stand when the NA was played.

A pity the guy in charge of the PA system played Flower of Scotland for a
minute before realising it was Scawsby vs Sprotbrough stood on the pitch.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
Bill Wright wrote

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get out of
cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

And well into the late 60s, as I recall.

but it had nothing to do with the anthem..
its the same reason people leave football matches early..
the infrastructure can't cope and you end up in big queues.

Yeah, we had the anthem at the start, not the end, and we
saw the same effect at the end, some deliberately leaving
as soon as they could.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Onetap :
Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get out of cinemas
at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

IIRC it was actually pretty orderly.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 17:53, ARWadsworth wrote:
The last time I left the cinema early was when I knew the fire alarm was
going to go off. I did not want to be stuck behind the queue of a 10 screen
multiplex emptying at the same time.

fx narrative hook
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/05/2012 17:53, ARWadsworth wrote:
The last time I left the cinema early was when I knew the fire
alarm was going to go off. I did not want to be stuck behind the
queue of a 10 screen multiplex emptying at the same time.

fx narrative hook

The secondary sytems were bleeping. It's a sad life:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 May 2012 13:11:42 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get

out
of cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem
started.

And well into the late 60s, as I recall.

Agreed, and the last time I went to the cinema as soon as the credits
started most people started to leave. That would have been in the
90's.

but it had nothing to do with the anthem..
its the same reason people leave football matches early..
the infrastructure can't cope and you end up in big queues.

Personally I can't see much point if leaping up and trying to beat
the rush. May as well sit and relax then saunter out after all the
sheep have jammed themselves in the doorways. As for footy matches
many car parks are locked down for 15 or 20 minutes after the final
whistle to let the crowd disperse, so unless you can get out before
then you don't gain anything. Same with departure lounges and flight
calls, everyone leaps up and forms a queue. Why? You have an
allocated seat(*), the flight is highly unlikely to leave early or
without you... Read another chapter and walk straight on.

(*) Proper flights not Glasgow London for 10p plus "taxes" and
"fees" etc etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Although on a flight to China, if you leave it too long, it's bye-bye to
much chance of getting any locker space IME...
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 13:11:42 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get

out
of cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem
started.

And well into the late 60s, as I recall.

Agreed, and the last time I went to the cinema as soon as the credits
started most people started to leave. That would have been in the
90's.

I'm one of those weirdos who likes to watch the credits.

+1

but it had nothing to do with the anthem..
its the same reason people leave football matches early..
the infrastructure can't cope and you end up in big queues.

Personally I can't see much point if leaping up and trying to beat
the rush. May as well sit and relax then saunter out after all the
sheep have jammed themselves in the doorways. As for footy matches
many car parks are locked down for 15 or 20 minutes after the final
whistle to let the crowd disperse, so unless you can get out before
then you don't gain anything.

Much simpler not to go in the first place.

Same with departure lounges and flight
calls, everyone leaps up and forms a queue. Why? You have an
allocated seat(*),

That may well be true, but sadly the overhead lockers will be full of other
people's (excessive) hand luggage if you get there last and there'll be
nowhere for yours. Or it'll be 7 rows away.

+1

And since I've now got the art of packing for a six-week overland
journey down to just one daysack (nothing to do with R**n**r - just
the desire to have everything in close view 24/7 and no extra items to
evaporate into thin air) being able to find locker space is quite
important to me.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 May 2012 11:11:22 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Although on a flight to China, if you leave it too long, it's bye-bye to
much chance of getting any locker space IME...

Ah but one can always guage that by looking how much "hand bagage" is
in the departure lounge. If there are more than just one blue and
white or red and white woven zip up shopping bag per group of people
leap up when the flight is called...

--
Cheers
Dave.