Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Light fittings for energy efficient lamps only?

In the architect's notes on the plan I read:

"Internal Lighting. All new light fittings should be energy efficient. These
lights shall only take lamps with a luminous efficiency greater than 40
lumens per circuit watt."

"External lighting - If external lights are to be installed then these
lights must be automatically extinguished when there is enough daylight and
be fitted with sockets that can only be used with lamps having a luminous
efficiency of greater than 45 lumens/circuit watt, in accordance with the
Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide 2010,"

Firstly this sounds like yet another set of light fittings which have no
commonality with any other light fittings in the house.
Secondly, if I can still buy standard large and small bayonet and large and
small Edison screw light fittings in the sheds, what is going on here?

Looking at the guide, I suspect that for inside I have to fit for example
CFLs in standard light fittings to get Building Regs sign off but then can
take them all out if I want.
Which I may have to do if I want dimmable lighting in standard fittings
without having to spend a fortune on dimmable CFLs.

Is this a sort of reverse wording which really means "no tungsten filament
or tungsten halogen downlighters and if anything we haven't thought of turns
up then that is banned as well"?

For the external lighting thing, it looks as though Christmas lights and
similar are O.K. as long as they are below 100 watts per fitting.

And me with a shed full of various light fittings which now look to be out
of date.

Which will obviously not now be used (especially before Building Regs sign
off).

Sigh

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
In the architect's notes on the plan I read:

"Internal Lighting. All new light fittings should be energy
efficient. These lights shall only take lamps with a luminous
efficiency greater than 40 lumens per circuit watt."

Well you can ignore that load of cock.

"External lighting - If external lights are to be installed then these
lights must be automatically extinguished when there is enough
daylight and be fitted with sockets that can only be used with lamps
having a luminous efficiency of greater than 45 lumens/circuit watt,
in accordance with the Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide
2010,"

That sounds OK.

Looking at the guide, I suspect that for inside I have to fit for
example CFLs in standard light fittings to get Building Regs sign off
but then can take them all out if I want.
Which I may have to do if I want dimmable lighting in standard
fittings without having to spend a fortune on dimmable CFLs.

You have it correct the architect is wrong. You just fit low energy fitting
to normal BC fittings. There is no need for special fittings

Is this a sort of reverse wording which really means "no tungsten
filament or tungsten halogen downlighters and if anything we haven't
thought of turns up then that is banned as well"?

25% of the lamps can be tungsten or halogen.

For the external lighting thing, it looks as though Christmas lights
and similar are O.K. as long as they are below 100 watts per fitting.

They are decorations and not lighting.

And me with a shed full of various light fittings which now look to
be out of date.

Which will obviously not now be used (especially before Building Regs
sign off).

Your learning:-)

Now when fittings that only accepted low energy fitting were a requirement
(2006 to 2010) I bought 5 of them. They were fitted in over 30 different
houses for the BCO to inspect. Sometimes I moved them from house to house
while the BCO watched me. Sometimes I told hin the fittings they were on a
different job and he still signed it off. Because of people like me and
customers buying new non low energy fittings when they bought a house the
rules changed in 2010 to something that actually made a little more sense.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 6:30*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I think on 2016 all new houses will have to be zero carbon. There's
gonna be a lot more strange stuff coming out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_carbon_housing
http://www.zerocarbonhub.org/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On May 19, 6:30 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I doubt it now that the eurozone is imploding so spectacularly.

There's gonna be a lot more strange stuff coming out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_carbon_housing
http://www.zerocarbonhub.org/

Bet that wont happen with the eurozone imploding so spectacularly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On May 19, 6:30 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

"The carbon footprint is the total measure of all greenhouse gas emissions
generated or produced directly or indirectly by activities in the home"

At last - vegetarians are made illegal :-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2012 08:16:47 +0100, Terry Fields wrote:

"A zero carbon home has a yearly net carbon footprint of zero. The
carbon footprint is the total measure of all greenhouse gas emissions
generated or produced directly or indirectly by activities in the home
such as heating the home or running an appliance, personal activities
such as driving a car, broader services such as the use of public
transportation or air travel, and individual consumption of food and
other products."

So the building itself is going to be have to be seriously carbon
negative to get the overall "measure" to zero.

Strikes me that the greenie lobby have bamboozled the politicians
again unless they want all to be dewlling up living trees.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Thanks - nice to know a little sanity is filtering through.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Zero carbon house?

"harry" wrote in message
On May 19, 6:30 pm, "ARWadsworth"
snip

&I think on 2016 all new houses will have to be zero carbon. There's
&gonna be a lot more strange stuff coming out.
&http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_carbon_housing
&http://www.zerocarbonhub.org/

The Wikipedia article is a load of tosh.

For instance it says that walking and cycling are low carbon but 'boating'
is high carbon.
Now I used to sail a wooden clinker built dinghy which was built locally in
1963 - the rest of the class were built earlier back to the early 1950s.
IMHO much less carbon hungry than manufacturing a bicycle in China and then
shipping it to the UK - and a much higher percentage of
sustainable/renewable materials (when did you last see a wooden bicycle?).
Or doesn't that count as 'boating'?
I assume a coracle is also a boat?

Spit

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
So the building itself is going to be have to be seriously
carbon negative to get the overall "measure" to zero.

Concrete absorbs carbon dioxide as it cures, and there are
now some concretes that have a net negative manufacturing
CO2 emissions as well, so buy tons of concrete and use it
to bury a forest of mature timber.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On May 19, 6:30 pm, "ARWadsworth"
snip

&I think on 2016 all new houses will have to be zero carbon. There's
&gonna be a lot more strange stuff coming out.
&http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_carbon_housing
&http://www.zerocarbonhub.org/

The Wikipedia article is a load of tosh.

Anything in Wiki on global warming and renewable energy is written by
shills from the IPCC and the renewable energy lobby and can safely be
disregarded. I believe that there has been a lot of fuss about this
actually.

For instance it says that walking and cycling are low carbon but
'boating' is high carbon.
Now I used to sail a wooden clinker built dinghy which was built locally
in 1963 - the rest of the class were built earlier back to the early 1950s.
IMHO much less carbon hungry than manufacturing a bicycle in China and
then shipping it to the UK - and a much higher percentage of
sustainable/renewable materials (when did you last see a wooden bicycle?).
Or doesn't that count as 'boating'?
I assume a coracle is also a boat?

Spit

See above. Wiki is in this instance a highly biased source.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2012 22:09, David WE Roberts wrote:
"The carbon footprint is the total measure of all greenhouse gas
emissions generated or produced directly or indirectly by activities in
the home"

At last - vegetarians are made illegal :-)

Not if you eat beef. The digestive system of ruminants is highly
methanogenic. Or something like that.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2012 10:30:20 -0700 (PDT), jgharston
wrote:

Concrete absorbs carbon dioxide as it cures, and there are
now some concretes that have a net negative manufacturing
CO2 emissions as well, so buy tons of concrete and use it
to bury a forest of mature timber.

Plant a bunker for the planet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Concrete absorbs carbon dioxide as it cures, and there are
now some concretes that have a net negative manufacturing
CO2 emissions as well, so buy tons of concrete and use it
to bury a forest of mature timber.

Plant a bunker for the planet.

That won't work as its just lies anyway.
Cement is very energy intensive and I don't think there is any CO2 negative
concrete out there.
There is no such thing as a zero carbon home either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Now when fittings that only accepted low energy fitting were a
requirement (2006 to 2010) I bought 5 of them. They were fitted in
over 30 different houses for the BCO to inspect. Sometimes I moved
them from house to house while the BCO watched me. Sometimes I told
hin the fittings they were on a different job and he still signed
it off. Because of people like me and customers buying new non low
energy fittings when they bought a house the rules changed in 2010
to something that actually made a little more sense.

Thanks - nice to know a little sanity is filtering through.

So what are you doing? Extention, new build?

You might have mentioned but I have forgot
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Now when fittings that only accepted low energy fitting were a
requirement (2006 to 2010) I bought 5 of them. They were fitted in
over 30 different houses for the BCO to inspect. Sometimes I moved
them from house to house while the BCO watched me. Sometimes I told
hin the fittings they were on a different job and he still signed
it off. Because of people like me and customers buying new non low
energy fittings when they bought a house the rules changed in 2010
to something that actually made a little more sense.

Thanks - nice to know a little sanity is filtering through.

So what are you doing? Extention, new build?

You might have mentioned but I have forgot

Take out wall and chimney breast between kitchen and dining room - big steel
to replace.
Knock down old kitchen extension (converted coal hole/outside loo).
Extend all across rear of house (3 bed semi) out 3 metres single storey, 4.7
metres of bifold doors.
Some seriously big steel to hold the back of the original house up as all
the ground floor rear walls are history :-)
2m veranda across the back.
Build new downstairs shower room front centre of new huge space.
Upstairs, extend bedroom reduce bathroom which merges with loo.
French windows in bedroom for airy view (balcony planned but rejected).
Wood burning stove in centre of new room against wall of shower room.

Plans are online if anyone would like a link - which totally destroys any
remaining annonymity from scary web stalkers ;-)

I hope to extend essential services to the Mother Of All Sheds during the
building works.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

So just a small job then?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Yes, although one quote for £100k including VAT was taken as a sad attempt
at satirical humour.

We won't be doing the whole thing ourselves because we want it finished
before Christmas (2014).......
......however we will be doing what we can when we can because it looks as
though the chosen approach will be time + materials (which should terrify
anyone ever involved in any government or corporate contracts).
The minimum will be clearing the site at the end of the day (because why pay
skilled workers to sweeep up), may involve a bit of amateur barrow running
and the like, and hopefully will include some enthusiatic destruction of the
existing kitchen.
Also we can remove old radiators, hot water tanks, cold water tanks from the
loft etc. to allow the plumber to concentrate on the skilled stuff of
running the new pipework and installing the new boiler. Again, why pay the
skilled for doing the unskilled labouring bits.

So just enough DIY to keep it on topic.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in
message ...

[...]

And SWMBO is OK with this?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in
message ...

[...]

We are an awesome team :-)
She wields the brush, I push the barrow.
Seriously, we do this kind of stuff together, although I (being built
somewhat larger) tend to do the heavy lifting.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in
message ...
David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Nice set up.

2014 is a long time away.

Should I not be making a comment about large tools and leting the OH handle
them?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in
message ...
David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Target is to be finished by end of September this year.
Christmas 2014 was an estimate of when we would finish if we did it all
ourselves.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 4:19*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
[...]

Specifying lumens per watt is far better than specifying a particular
technology. Why would you want it any other way?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Why am I slightly envious of anyone who fits such doors, although I would not really want them myself ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Perhaps because you could see your self on a sunny day such as today,
basking in the sun from morning to early evening?
Or more in our case being able to sit inside when it is warm but raining and
still have the doors open because the veranda keeps the rain off (I hope).

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 May 2012 07:54:53 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

Extend all across rear of house (3 bed semi) out 3 metres single storey, 4.7
metres of bifold doors.

Why am I slightly envious of anyone who fits such doors,

More to the point, why do they seem to be fitted by exhibitionists? Of
those I've seen, nary a curtain/blind in sight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Extend all across rear of house (3 bed semi) out 3 metres single storey,
4.7
metres of bifold doors.

Why am I slightly envious of anyone who fits such doors,

More to the point, why do they seem to be fitted by exhibitionists? Of
those I've seen, nary a curtain/blind in sight.

Well, if you've got it, flaunt it!

Just stepped outside to check and there is only one house where a couple of
bedrooms will overlook us, and even then that will be through a tinted glass
verandah roof so our privacy is pretty good.
However we do plan to install curtains - can't see an easy way to install
blinds across a 4.7m opening when you don't like the vertical slats
generally found in conservatories.
I suspect all the publicity shots are of houses with stunning rural views
where you are only likely to frighten the livestock presuming they have
binoculars.

I imagine we will mainly use the curtains to keep the room from overheating
on very sunny days when we are out.
Much of the rest of the time we will be treating the outside as an extension
of the inside so we will want to be able to see it. :-)