Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gluing trim back onto a sofa - what glue to use?

Hello folks.

I need some advice to repair a sofa, please.
It is a large sofa and has a fabric covered trim panel on the front of each
arm. These panels were held in place by furniture staples facing forward
from the sofa into the vertical centre line of each panel.

Because the staples were only on the vertical centre line of each panel it
was, unfortunately, only too easy for little fingers to pry behind the loose
edges of each panel and pull them off. The panels have been damaged and I
doubt I can tack or nail them back into place. I also need to try to secure
the whole of each panel to the sofa so that those little fingers will no
longer have a loose edge with which to play

Anyone suggest a suitable glue for gluing the panels (fabric covered) onto
the front of each arm (again, fabric covered). My first thought was to use
Copydex but this may not be as strong as the aforementioned prying fingers.
My second thought was to use "No More Nails" but the applications list on
the tube lists mostly non-absorbent items (wood, ceramic etc) and it may not
be successful with fabric.

Of course, the final thought would be to either scrap the sofa or scrap the
panels and make replacement ones from something rigid such as wood.

Help, please.

Thanks, Ian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:22:13 +0100, "Ian"
wrote:

Help, please.

EvostikTimebond

http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-stik/Timebond/7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Help, please.

EvostikTimebond

http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-stik/Timebond/7

Good evening Peter.

Looks good and looks affordable.

Thank you. Ian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:22:13 +0100, Ian wrote:

Anyone suggest a suitable glue for gluing the panels (fabric covered)
onto the front of each arm (again, fabric covered). My first thought was
to use Copydex but this may not be as strong as the aforementioned
prying fingers.

I'd go with Copydex, it's pretty strong stuff used for joining
carpets. It also stays very flexible. The impact adhesives are
flexible but not as soft as Copydex.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:22:13 +0100, Ian wrote:

Anyone suggest a suitable glue for gluing the panels (fabric covered)
onto the front of each arm (again, fabric covered). My first thought was
to use Copydex but this may not be as strong as the aforementioned
prying fingers.

I'd go with Copydex, it's pretty strong stuff used for joining
carpets. It also stays very flexible. The impact adhesives are
flexible but not as soft as Copydex.

make sure its the one that reeks of ammonia..the water based one is crap.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" writes:

On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:22:13 +0100, Ian wrote:

Anyone suggest a suitable glue for gluing the panels (fabric covered)
onto the front of each arm (again, fabric covered). My first thought was
to use Copydex but this may not be as strong as the aforementioned
prying fingers.

I'd go with Copydex, it's pretty strong stuff used for joining
carpets.

Apologies for this digression, but I have a section of carpet (burned
by misuse of a heater) which could be cut out if a matching replacement
could be joined to the remaining good carpet.
How are such joins made?

It also stays very flexible. The impact adhesives are
flexible but not as soft as Copydex.

Not sure what type of adhesive Copydex is, but there are latex-based
fabric adhesives, though I didn't find them to be very strong on a
window blind which is shiny on one side.

I tested a whole range of adhesives to find one which would allow
lengthening of three blinds, and ended by using a contact adhesive.

The one described as a 'leather adhesive' seemed marginally better than
the rest, for that job at least, but although it had good shear
strength, in that application no fabric or contact adhesive had good
peel strength (which might matter if little fingers are involved).

OTOH jeans pockets repaired with fabric adhesive have stayed fixed for
some time. Maybe the difference is the degree to which the glue can
penetrate the material.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m