Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. Model aeroplane Amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I have never seen anything like that.
I used to have that hobby.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2012 18:56, Mr Pounder wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I have never seen anything like that.
I used to have that hobby.

You want to see what the barking helicopter bods get up to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFLS...eature=related

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I have never seen anything like that.
I used to have that hobby.

You want to see what the barking helicopter bods get up to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFLS...eature=related

My day was single channel and yes, the radio control was powered by an
elastic band.
It was fun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Pounder
writes

news:T56dnWfQfOCdMDPSnZ2dnUVZ8g2dnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I have never seen anything like that.
I used to have that hobby.

You want to see what the barking helicopter bods get up to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFLS...eature=related

My day was single channel and yes, the radio control was powered by an
elastic band.
It was fun.

It's obvious that all that twisting about must require unbelievable
skill, but after a minute or two of it, it starts becoming rather
boring. I much prefer to see aeroplanes flying like aeroplanes.

I never got as far as radio control (diverting into amateur radio and
skiffle instead!), but I've seen those RC planes with a single channel
radio, rubber driven escapement controlling rudder-only (straight, left,
straight, right straight left etc etc), and it was amazing what a
skilled pilot could do.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2012 21:22, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Mr Pounder
writes

o.uk...
wrote in message
[...]

I stuck with boats - figured its harder to fall out of the water!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/05/2012 21:22, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Mr Pounder
writes

o.uk...
wrote in message
[...]

RC cars are even safer!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/05/2012 21:22, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Mr Pounder
writes

o.uk...
wrote in message
[...]

First video is not that impressive. I've seen better. Still bores me stiff.

No rolling circle, no proper hovering.

see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaGtpkYtkuE

which can be done in a street or back garden.

I've seen people making em 'climb' walls..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message , Mr Pounder
writes

wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I have never seen anything like that.
I used to have that hobby.

You want to see what the barking helicopter bods get up to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFLS...eature=related

My day was single channel and yes, the radio control was powered by an
elastic band.
It was fun.

It's obvious that all that twisting about must require unbelievable
skill, but after a minute or two of it, it starts becoming rather
boring. I much prefer to see aeroplanes flying like aeroplanes.

I think that the Indonesian authorities are thinking the exact same
thought

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote
Mr Pounder wrote
harryagain wrote

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I have never seen anything like that.
I used to have that hobby.

You want to see what the barking helicopter bods get up to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFLS...eature=related

Grossly inferior camera work tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/05/2012 21:22, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Mr Pounder
writes

o.uk...
wrote in message
[...]

Ironic calling that 3D when the plane itself was a tad 2D

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. Model SR-71 Blackbird

wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I have never seen anything like that.
I used to have that hobby.

You want to see what the barking helicopter bods get up to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFLS...eature=related

There's a Blackbird there, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T0Nc...eature=related
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/05/2012 21:22, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Mr Pounder
writes

o.uk...
wrote in message
[...]

well, yes :-)

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I have never seen anything like that.
I used to have that hobby.

You want to see what the barking helicopter bods get up to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFLS...eature=related

When I worked at GEC years ago, there was a thriving model club.
I wasn't part of it, but I did go to some of their shows.
There was a guy there who flew 2-control line planes (which
you fly in a circle whilst standing at the centre). What was
particularly spectacular was that he could fly two of these at
once, chasing each other and engaging in dog fights - apparently
he was the only person in the world (at the time) who could do
this. What made this all the more remarkable was that we was
quite severely cripled and had some considerable difficulty
walking (I would guess something like polio), and control line
flying is not something you can do by standing still. He really
drew the crowds at their public events.

I did a google search but I can't find any info. Searching on
finding variations on "two 2-control line planes" just doesn't
work, and this was all before the WWW started (a sort of
"dark ages").

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

First video is not that impressive. I've seen better. Still bores me stiff.

No rolling circle, no proper hovering.

see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaGtpkYtkuE

which can be done in a street or back garden.

I've seen people making em 'climb' walls..

The OP's was hovering at 4'29" though I think?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:14:20 PM UTC+1, harry wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I prefer this one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSYp1jFz6_E

The BR2 engine running is here (not the actual model used in the above video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HadB-uK4-G0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I did a google search but I can't find any info. Searching on
finding variations on "two 2-control line planes" just doesn't
work,

Err ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_line

I used to fly these, many years ago. I once lost one when the lines
broke at the handle and the trailing line provided just enough drag
to make it fly in a straight line (control line models have built
in rudder offset to make them try and fly out of the circle and keep
the lines taut). It had some up elevator & climbed slowly out of
sight, never to be seen again.

Yes, I remember doing a bit of that. We used to make what we called flying
wings (http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/dieselco...to_gallery.htm) and
reckoned that virtually anything would fly if the engine was large enough.
Always forgot to take gloves so got home with 1st & 2nd fingers in shreds
from starting the damn things
2 in the middle certainly keeps the concentration going.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2012-05-13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I did a google search but I can't find any info. Searching on
finding variations on "two 2-control line planes" just doesn't
work,

Err ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_line

I used to fly these, many years ago. I once lost one when the lines
broke at the handle and the trailing line provided just enough drag
to make it fly in a straight line (control line models have built
in rudder offset to make them try and fly out of the circle and keep
the lines taut). It had some up elevator & climbed slowly out of
sight, never to be seen again.

As with the two slope soarers my friend and I took to Box Hill in the
late '50's.

There was also the tale of the scale Avro Lincoln Bomber I saw at the
Handley Page / SMAE show going AWOL during a radio controlled flight.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 May 2012 12:54:18 +0100, Tim Lamb

In message , Huge
writes
On 2012-05-13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I did a google search but I can't find any info. Searching on
finding variations on "two 2-control line planes" just doesn't
work,

Err ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_line

I used to fly these, many years ago. I once lost one when the lines
broke at the handle and the trailing line provided just enough drag
to make it fly in a straight line (control line models have built
in rudder offset to make them try and fly out of the circle and keep
the lines taut). It had some up elevator & climbed slowly out of
sight, never to be seen again.

As with the two slope soarers my friend and I took to Box Hill in the
late '50's.

There was also the tale of the scale Avro Lincoln Bomber I saw at the
Handley Page / SMAE show going AWOL during a radio controlled flight.

I never lost my non-RC gliders when I was flying them in the 60s. The
tip-up tail was held in place by a rubber band with a piece of
slow-burning fuse shoved through it. A few minutes into the flight and
the tail would flip, bringing the glider into a controlled descent.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

I recently thought about going back in to the hobby after 40 years and
visited the local club. Things have not changed, the snobbery was still
there.
I may still have the Blackpool distance record for single channel. Radio
failure as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I did a google search but I can't find any info. Searching on
finding variations on "two 2-control line planes" just doesn't
work,

Err ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_line

I used to fly these, many years ago. I once lost one when the lines
broke at the handle and the trailing line provided just enough drag
to make it fly in a straight line (control line models have built
in rudder offset to make them try and fly out of the circle and keep
the lines taut). It had some up elevator & climbed slowly out of
sight, never to be seen again.

You lost a control line model??!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 May 2012 12:54:18 +0100, Tim Lamb

In message , Huge
writes
On 2012-05-13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

[...]

I have faint memories of flying something similar, polydiahedral wings?
Excuse spelling.
They would go up like a rocket and then just glide. The fuse on the
tailplane always seemed to work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Pounder
writes

wrote in message
[...]

I used to do control line and free-flight. One helped with my sense of
balance and immunity to motion sickness, and the other kept me fit as
fit as a marathon runner.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

I could never see the point in control line. To me it was just a thing on a
string. Having said that I never tried it, I just watched.
The first free flight model that ever flew for me is still near here. I
never found it. There was a swamp, now there are houses.
http://www.blackpool.ac.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2012-05-13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I did a google search but I can't find any info. Searching on
finding variations on "two 2-control line planes" just doesn't
work,

Err ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_line

I was refering to someone flying two of them at the same time.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
In message , Huge
writes
On 2012-05-13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I did a google search but I can't find any info. Searching on
finding variations on "two 2-control line planes" just doesn't
work,

Err ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_line

I used to fly these, many years ago. I once lost one when the lines
broke at the handle and the trailing line provided just enough drag
to make it fly in a straight line (control line models have built
in rudder offset to make them try and fly out of the circle and keep
the lines taut). It had some up elevator & climbed slowly out of
sight, never to be seen again.

As with the two slope soarers my friend and I took to Box Hill in the
late '50's.

I know read that these days they have a "dead mans switch" so it if the
lines go slack, the fuel gets cut off. We never had those!

There was also the tale of the scale Avro Lincoln Bomber I saw at the
Handley Page / SMAE show going AWOL during a radio controlled flight.

That's really sad - there must have been thousands of hours of work in that.

Very realistic on the ground.

I never heard if it was recovered. Long time ago now but the show was an
annual event and very popular.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Pounder
writes

wrote in message
[...]

It all seemed a good idea at the time, but looking back, it does seem
rather pointless! However, there is definitely a fair degree of skill to
do loops (and especially bunts), and wing-overs. Flying with two or more
in the circle also requires skill - and then there's combat flying,
where the idea is, with your propeller, to cut bits off a streamer
trailing from your opponent's (of opponents') aircraft.

To me it was just a thing on a
string. Having said that I never tried it, I just watched.
The first free flight model that ever flew for me is still near here. I
never found it. There was a swamp, now there are houses.
http://www.blackpool.ac.uk/

With me and my friends, trees were magnets for free-flight models
(similar to when Charlie Brown tries to fly a kite). If a treed aircraft
was diesel powered, the exercise became one of getting the engine down -
even if this meant the destruction of the rest it. I once had nearly
half the village out throwing sticks and stones, and firing catapults. I
think the engine was finally 'removed' from the fuselage by a blast from
a 12 bore!

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
On 2012-05-13, Andrew wrote:

I did a google search but I can't find any info. Searching on
finding variations on "two 2-control line planes" just doesn't
work,

Err ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_line

I was refering to someone flying two of them at the same time.

Did you read the article?

I can't see any mention of one person flying two planes, care to link to
a specific paragraph if it does?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
On 2012-05-13, Andrew wrote:

I did a google search but I can't find any info. Searching on
finding variations on "two 2-control line planes" just doesn't
work,

Err ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_line

I was refering to someone flying two of them at the same time.

Did you read the article?

I can't see any mention of one person flying two planes,

Damn, I specifically remember that from this morning. I wonder where I saw
it?

Fourth entry return by a quick google search gives
http://www.americanjuniorclassics.co.../jimwalker.htm

However it may not be the one being discussed as this one flew three at a
time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I have never seen anything like that.
I used to have that hobby.

You want to see what the barking helicopter bods get up to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFLS...eature=related

I have a model heli (Titan X50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9GCSBA6X0

but this is what I would really like ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STdAr...eature=related

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2012 5:14 a.m., harryagain wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

Astounding. I wonder what engine this plane uses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
On 13/05/2012 5:14 a.m., harryagain wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

Astounding. I wonder what engine this plane uses.

probably a moki or laser 140/150 - that about 25cc
probably a couple of brake horsepower

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I have never seen anything like that.
I used to have that hobby.

You want to see what the barking helicopter bods get up to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFLS...eature=related

I have a model heli (Titan X50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9GCSBA6X0

but this is what I would really like ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STdAr...eature=related

Now that is quite convincing ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I have never seen anything like that.
I used to have that hobby.

You want to see what the barking helicopter bods get up to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFLS...eature=related

I have a model heli (Titan X50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9GCSBA6X0

but this is what I would really like ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STdAr...eature=related

Now that is quite convincing ;-)

I was waiting for it to fire the missiles off....
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

I have never seen anything like that.
I used to have that hobby.

You want to see what the barking helicopter bods get up to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFLS...eature=related

I have a model heli (Titan X50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9GCSBA6X0

but this is what I would really like ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STdAr...eature=related

Now that is quite convincing ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Yes, that was realistic as far as it can go.
I have never liked model helicopters doing silly things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
On 13/05/2012 5:14 a.m., harryagain wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

Astounding. I wonder what engine this plane uses.

Miles .75 diesel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Pounder
writes

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
On 13/05/2012 5:14 a.m., harryagain wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

Astounding. I wonder what engine this plane uses.

Miles .75 diesel.

Nah! ED Bambi! ;o)
http://www.modelenginecollecting.com...s-Charlton.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdj4x7cJHXw