Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default an amazing milestone in model engineering

our little club, the Society of Model & Experimental Engineers Western
Australia, was formed in 1929 we think.

one of our members is just about to tick over 74 years continuous
active membership of the club.

John Street joined with his dad when he was 12. from his involvement
in the club and training elsewhere he has worked in the engineering
field all his life doing specialty and high precision machining.

His business 'J.A.Street Engineering' is a well known and respected
machining house in Perth.

It is a pity that the Queen isnt a model engineer. Something like this
is more deserving of a telegram than turning 100.

John doesnt seem to be slowing down. He suffered a small stroke a few
years back but appears to have fully recovered from the setback. His
mind is as sharp as ever and he has an encyclopaedic first hand
knowledge of machining almost anything imagineable.

the bugger spent much of last night's meeting critiquing a Westbury
Sealion pattern I made pointing out that relief angles at various
positions around the pattern would make it so much better to work with
than my slack way of using a rapping to get it to lift out of the
greensand.
I must admit that some of the tips he gave me I'd never read in the
books but seemed so obvious in hindsight that I might just make a new
pattern.

74 years continuous active membership is an amazing milestone.
to be mentally active and still running a business says a lot for the
medicinal benefits of being actively involved in something that you
passionately enjoy.

the humble club secretary.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot wrote:

our little club, the Society of Model & Experimental Engineers Western
Australia, was formed in 1929 we think.

one of our members is just about to tick over 74 years continuous
active membership of the club.

Awesome. We have a gent that has been in the gun club for 60 years. Always nice to have
a human history book to speak about past times.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller