Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So the Beeb have finally joined in on LED lighting **** take

In message , PeterC
writes
On Thu, 10 May 2012 19:58:44 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

On 10/05/2012 13:28, PeterC wrote:
Well, up until 24:00h on Dec. 31st. it is year zero; immediately after that
time it becomes Year One. When 'D' actually occured is another matter (ISTR
about 4 BC!).

Actually, 23:59 31st Dec 1 BC is followed a couple of minutes later by
00:01 1st Jan 1 AD. There's no year zero.

I'll leave the definition of the midnight in between as an exercise for
the student

Andy

There's an infinitesimal amount of time between days. There was a year zero
- it was just called year one, rather like saying that a new-born baby is
one! That's why the Millenium Doom was finished over a year early and was
closed before it had been used for it's primary function.

Starting from zero has only come into use due to computers, where
counting from 0 means eight numbers can be defined by 3 bits.

A new born baby is not one, it is in it's first year.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adam Funk
writes
On 2012-05-09, Martin Brown wrote:

The life of LEDs reduces the harder they are driven. Signal ones may well
last 'forever'. but not high power ones.

They degrade relatively gracefully provided that you can shunt the heat
away from the junction fast enough. That is the *BIG* problem with
retrofitting them to existing luminaires. The entire light fitting has
to be redesigned to make it LED friendly or they will cook.

One thing that really puzzles me is why LEDs have not completely taken
over the job of lighting domestic fridges yet. Commercial supermarket
freezers have been using them for some time now.

The fridge-freezer we got around 6 months ago has an LED inside the
fridge. The manual says something to the effect that it should last
practically forever, but if it doesn't, you're stuffed because it's
not replaceable.

Fridge in my caravan has a LED light.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

hugh wrote:

[...]

In China said baby is "one" - and it carrie son - basically everyone is
numerically one year older than they are in the UK. But they make up for it
by calling the ground floor of a block of flats floor 1.

Which just goes to show it's all totally arbitrary....
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

hugh wrote:

A new born baby is not one, it is in it's first year.

In China said baby is "one"

I never knew that, according to wickyp all ages increase on the lunar
new year, rather than on the birthday, so could a baby born the day
before the lunar new year be counted as 2 years old? Or are there
special rules for that? Sounds like racehorses ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
hugh wrote:

[...]

Mathematics is not arbitrary.
--
hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-11, hugh wrote:

In message , PeterC
writes

There's an infinitesimal amount of time between days. There was a year zero
- it was just called year one, rather like saying that a new-born baby is
one! That's why the Millenium Doom was finished over a year early and was
closed before it had been used for it's primary function.

Starting from zero has only come into use due to computers, where
counting from 0 means eight numbers can be defined by 3 bits.

I think mathematicians started doing it before computers existed
(Peano axioms, for example).

A new born baby is not one, it is in it's first year.

I agree. It drives me nuts (just a little) when someone whose
birthday is a month after mine says "You're a year older than I am for
the next month." It's like saying that a 2 ft 11 in board is
sometimes a foot longer than a 2 ft 10 in one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-11, hugh wrote:

In message , PeterC
writes

There's an infinitesimal amount of time between days. There was a year zero
- it was just called year one, rather like saying that a new-born baby is
one! That's why the Millenium Doom was finished over a year early and was
closed before it had been used for it's primary function.

Starting from zero has only come into use due to computers, where
counting from 0 means eight numbers can be defined by 3 bits.

I think mathematicians started doing it before computers existed
(Peano axioms, for example).

A new born baby is not one, it is in it's first year.

I agree. It drives me nuts (just a little) when someone whose
birthday is a month after mine says "You're a year older than I am for
the next month." It's like saying that a 2 ft 11 in board is
sometimes a foot longer than a 2 ft 10 in one.

I blame the cardinals - they should never have been ordinated.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-11, hugh wrote:

In message , PeterC
writes

[...]

groan

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2012 08:17:00 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

- it was just called year one, rather like saying that a new-born baby is
one!

Fwir, the Japanese do that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
On May 9, 11:30*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Brian Gaff
writesI'm surprised they did not put up
to four times less, which of course would
be completely meaningless.
Brian

What's the difference between "meaningless" and completely meaningless"
--
hugh

What's the difference between flammable and inflammable?

About 4000km rtd

--
geoff

Marines piss on dead Taliban, leftist twits piss pants and wring hands about it. Ed Huntress Metalworking 0 January 13th 12 03:04 AM
Sat Beeb four? Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 7 May 10th 11 09:38 AM
B&Q taking the piss! PeterC UK diy 27 April 7th 10 09:03 AM
Just Joined! Mike Electronics Repair 21 July 27th 09 02:25 PM
Enough to piss a guy off ! Norminn Home Repair 16 September 13th 05 11:13 PM