Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stamps

Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the old
price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years. The
alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where I pay
tax.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Michael
Chare mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk.? writes
Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the old
price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years. The
alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where I pay
tax.

Too late luv . . . .
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the old
price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years. The
alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where I pay
tax.

Presumably what you mean is "Would it have been...."

I bought a reasonable stock, post free from the source, no
queues.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2012 16:36, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:

Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the old
price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years. The
alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where I pay
tax.

Presumably what you mean is "Would it have been...."

No, I meant what I said!

I bought a reasonable stock, post free from the source, no
queues.

As did I which is why I have a 10 year supply. However, I have reason
to believe that I may be able to acquire some more, at the old price and
I am trying to decide what to do.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 1, 6:37*pm, Michael Chare mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk
wrote:
On 01/05/2012 16:36, Chris J Dixon wrote: Michael Chare wrote:

Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the old
price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years. The
alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where I pay
tax.

Presumably what you mean is "Would it have been...."

No, I meant what I said!

I bought a reasonable stock, post free from the source, no
queues.

As did I which is why I have a 10 year supply. *However, I have reason
to believe that I may be able to acquire some more, at the old price and
I am trying to decide what to do.

--
Michael Chare

Yes, we went out and did some panic buying too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the old
price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years. The
alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where I pay
tax.

Presumably what you mean is "Would it have been...."

No, I meant what I said!

I bought a reasonable stock, post free from the source, no
queues.

As did I which is why I have a 10 year supply.

I wonder how long before Royal Mail is sold off, and no longer
accepts stamps sold beforehand? 10 years sounds way too long...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote in message
Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the old
price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years. The
alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where I pay
tax.

I would have thought that the risk of you misplacing them was too great for
the pennies that you will save.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim.... wrote:
"Michael Chare" mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote in message
Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the old
price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years. The
alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where I pay
tax.

I would have thought that the risk of you misplacing them was too great for
the pennies that you will save.

Unless he's like me, in which case ten years' worth of stamps fits in a
few books of six in my wallet.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim....
writes

I would have thought that the risk of you misplacing them was too great for
the pennies that you will save.

Pennies? I was selling them by the thousand until Saturday. 1,000 2nds
would have been 360 last week, and 500 this week. Not a lot if you use
a couple a week, but for small businesses, well worthwhile.
--
Graeme, sub postmaster
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In articlen5udnU7vvNndgj3SnZ2dnUVZ7vmdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
Michael Chare wrote:

Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the old
price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years. The
alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where I pay
tax.

Presumably what you mean is "Would it have been...."

No, I meant what I said!

I bought a reasonable stock, post free from the source, no
queues.

As did I which is why I have a 10 year supply.

I wonder how long before Royal Mail is sold off, and no longer
accepts stamps sold beforehand? 10 years sounds way too long...

Yes, one of the risks is that the stamps will no longer be honoured
properly. I have had this problem with Swedish bank notes!

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote in message
Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the old
price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years. The
alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where I pay
tax.

--
Michael Chare

Troll.
Shame on the people that replied.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
1,000 2nds would have been 360 last week, and 500 this week.
*Not a lot if you use a couple a week, but for small businesses,
well worthwhile.

For an election campaign the difference between £36 and £50 is 1,000
leaflets.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk writes:

Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the old
price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years. The
alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where I pay
tax.

You (and I) may be assuming that there will still *be* a Post Office in
10 years time.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2012 13:08:37 -0700, jgharston wrote:

News wrote:
1,000 2nds would have been 360 last week, and 500 this week.
Â*Not a lot if you use a couple a week, but for small businesses,
well worthwhile.

For an election campaign the difference between £36 and £50 is 1,000
leaflets.

JGH

So we'll be getting less bumf through the door ? Hard to see a downside
really.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Lib Dems seem to have been buying their stamps cheap - lots of
election letters all in envelopes with hand-affixed stamps rather than
franked or postage paid impressions.

They must be rolling in money up your end if they can afford to
spend money on stamps instead of using helpers to do the deliveries.

Don't know which version of the electoral register they're working
from as some of the names, addresses and postcodes seem a work of
fiction and typed by volunteer non-typists.

Surely as candidates they get the polling day register? Or is your
local Electoral Registration Office particularly inefficient and
keeps lots of dead & moved people on it? Our ERO changed their
software ten years ago and had a clearout and found 20,000 out
of 380,000 electors no longer existed.

They even have a service agreement with the Coroner's Office so
that dead people get taken off straight away, so the register is
no never more than one month out of date.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote
jgharston wrote

For an election campaign the difference
between £36 and £50 is 1,000 leaflets.

The Lib Dems seem to have been buying their stamps cheap
- lots of election letters all in envelopes with hand-affixed
stamps rather than franked or postage paid impressions.

Don't know which version of the electoral register they're working
from as some of the names, addresses and postcodes seem a work
of fiction and typed by volunteer non-typists. I've returned about
half a dozen to sender. Still, if they want to spend their money ...

Its actually your money...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Still, if they want to spend their money ...

Its actually your money...

Only if I chose to donate it to them.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Still, if they want to spend their money ...

Its actually your money...

Only if I chose to donate it to them.

Nope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Money
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2012 19:27, John Williamson wrote:
tim.... wrote:
"Michael Chare" mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote in message
Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the
old price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years.
The alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where
I pay tax.

I would have thought that the risk of you misplacing them was too
great for the pennies that you will save.

Unless he's like me, in which case ten years' worth of stamps fits in a
few books of six in my wallet.

I post very few letters too, but don't forget they work for parcels too,
which most people need to send occasionally at least. And the new 2nd
class price is nothing if not convenient for that purpose, at 50p... ie
you whack them on in pairs, of exactly a quid. Following a bit of an
ebayfest here last week, I'm taking half a dozen parcels of just under
2kg each to the post office today - posting price is 5.30 GBP, and I've
made up most of that by bunging 10 2nd class stamps on each.

So that's 60 letter's-worth of my stamps cache gone already!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Its actually your money...

Only if I chose to donate it to them.

Nope.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Money

Lib Dem's aren't Opposition though now are they?

Bet they were spending what they got that way when
they were, and now have their snouts in the trough of
your money very enthusiastically indeed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Lib Dem's aren't Opposition though now are they?

Bet they were spending what they got that way when
they were, and now have their snouts in the trough of
your money very enthusiastically indeed.

Not that enthusiastically in Edinburgh where
they lost to Professor Pongoo the Penguin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17960490

A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself.

New Civil War postage stamps whit3rd Woodworking 104 April 22nd 11 12:50 PM
OT. New online postage stamps? The Natural Philosopher UK diy 191 September 26th 06 10:53 PM
Brick stamps? newbie UK diy 2 February 13th 06 08:04 AM
MAKE £5,000 WITH JUST £3 AND 6 STAMPS!! [email protected] Home Ownership 0 July 25th 05 01:10 AM
Letter Stamps julvr Woodworking 11 February 17th 05 09:01 PM