Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Zips and spies

I have been wondering about the spy in a bag with the locked zip.

Putting the padlock on to the two zip fasteners after closing the zips
might be difficult from the inside.

However it appears from the pictures I have seen that the two zip
fasteners would move along the zip when locked together.

So could the spy have put the lock on the zips whilst outside the bag,
forced the zip open between a zip fastener and the end, climbed in the
back and then perhaps with some difficult slid the fasteners along the
zip to close it, and then back to the middle position?

It might not be easy but the spy was a slender keen cyclist, so possibly
quite strong.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael
Chare writes
I have been wondering about the spy in a bag with the locked zip.

Putting the padlock on to the two zip fasteners after closing the zips
might be difficult from the inside.

However it appears from the pictures I have seen that the two zip
fasteners would move along the zip when locked together.

So could the spy have put the lock on the zips whilst outside the bag,
forced the zip open between a zip fastener and the end, climbed in the
back and then perhaps with some difficult slid the fasteners along the
zip to close it, and then back to the middle position?

It might not be easy but the spy was a slender keen cyclist, so
possibly quite strong.

Now if you had said this in another newsgroup I read, 49% of the
denied that cyclists ever did anything wrong and 2% would have posted
something totally different and tried to change the thread.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes

Now if you had said this in another newsgroup I read, 49% of the
denied that cyclists ever did anything wrong and 2% would have posted
something totally different and tried to change the thread.

Re-reading this I see I totally porked it...........

Possibly the 2nd 49% would have said it was typical of cyclists.

I'll shut up now and make a note to read what I write before hitting
send.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 4:01*pm, Michael Chare mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk
wrote:
I have been wondering about the spy in a bag with the locked zip.

Putting the padlock on to the two zip fasteners after closing the zips
might be difficult from the inside.

However it appears from the pictures I have seen that the two zip
fasteners would move along the zip when locked together.

So could the spy have put the lock on the zips whilst outside the bag,
forced the zip open between a zip fastener and the end, climbed in the
back and then perhaps with some difficult slid the fasteners along the
zip to close it, and then back to the middle position?

It might not be easy but the spy was a slender keen cyclist, so possibly
quite strong.

--
Michael Chare

According to my paper, an escapologist tried 200 times and could not
do it.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 6:13*pm, Jonathan wrote:

According to my paper, an escapologist tried 200 times and could not
do it.

Jonathan

And he calls himself an escapologist...?

In another paper, he was described as a "yoga expert".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 5:25*pm, Bill wrote:
In message , Bill
writes

Now if you had said this in another newsgroup I read, *49% *of the
denied that cyclists ever did anything wrong and 2% would have posted
something totally different and tried to change the thread.

Re-reading this I see I totally porked it...........

Possibly the 2nd 49% would have said it was typical of cyclists.

I'll shut up now and make a note to read what I write before hitting
send.
--
Bill

I liked it anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:

On Apr 29, 6:13 pm, wrote:

According to my paper, an escapologist tried 200 times and could not
do it.

And he calls himself an escapologist...?

In another paper, he was described as a "yoga expert".

On TV he was a "confined spaces expert"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/04/2012 18:31, mike wrote:
On Apr 29, 6:13 pm, wrote:

According to my paper, an escapologist tried 200 times and could not
do it.

Jonathan

And he calls himself an escapologist...?

In another paper, he was described as a "yoga expert".

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the padlock on
and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone seam, sit the inside
out bag on top of head and pull down over body, then you are now inside
the locked bag and are only required to restitch the seam.
Job done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
mike wrote:

On Apr 29, 6:13 pm, wrote:

According to my paper, an escapologist tried 200 times and could not
do it.

And he calls himself an escapologist...?

In another paper, he was described as a "yoga expert".

On TV he was a "confined spaces expert"

Well, that's where he was found ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , Bill
writes

Now if you had said this in another newsgroup I read, 49% of the
have denied that cyclists ever did anything wrong and 2% would have
posted something totally different and tried to change the thread.

Re-reading this I see I totally porked it...........

Possibly the 2nd 49% would have said it was typical of cyclists.

I'll shut up now and make a note to read what I write before hitting
send.

I quite enjoyed the sarcasm though Bill, and you would be quite right in
what you actually posted - no matter how things turn out, it's *NEVER* the
cyclists fault (according to them anyway).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Andy Burns writes

On TV he was a "confined spaces expert"

Well, that's where he was found ...

No, not the spook, the person trying to reproduce the trick ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2012 18:59, ss wrote:
On 29/04/2012 18:31, mike wrote:
On Apr 29, 6:13 pm, wrote:

According to my paper, an escapologist tried 200 times and could not
do it.

Jonathan

And he calls himself an escapologist...?

In another paper, he was described as a "yoga expert".

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the padlock on
and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone seam, sit the inside
out bag on top of head and pull down over body, then you are now inside
the locked bag and are only required to restitch the seam.
Job done.

Perhaps it was a moebius bag: went straight in via the fourth dimension....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote in message
I have been wondering about the spy in a bag with the locked zip.

Putting the padlock on to the two zip fasteners after closing the zips
might be difficult from the inside.

However it appears from the pictures I have seen that the two zip
fasteners would move along the zip when locked together.

So could the spy have put the lock on the zips whilst outside the bag,
forced the zip open between a zip fastener and the end, climbed in the
back and then perhaps with some difficult slid the fasteners along the zip
to close it, and then back to the middle position?

It might not be easy but the spy was a slender keen cyclist, so possibly
quite strong.

Surely the forensic people must be able to work that stuff out ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
newshound writes
On 29/04/2012 18:59, ss wrote:
On 29/04/2012 18:31, mike wrote:
On Apr 29, 6:13 pm, wrote:

According to my paper, an escapologist tried 200 times and could not
do it.

Jonathan

And he calls himself an escapologist...?

In another paper, he was described as a "yoga expert".

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the padlock on
and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone seam, sit the inside
out bag on top of head and pull down over body, then you are now inside
the locked bag and are only required to restitch the seam.
Job done.

Perhaps it was a moebius bag: went straight in via the fourth dimension....

Or rather a (Calvin) Klein bag

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 29/04/2012 18:31, mike wrote:
On Apr 29, 6:13 pm, wrote:

According to my paper, an escapologist tried 200 times and could not
do it.

Jonathan

And he calls himself an escapologist...?

In another paper, he was described as a "yoga expert".

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the padlock on
and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone seam, sit the inside
out bag on top of head and pull down over body, then you are now inside
the locked bag and are only required to restitch the seam.
Job done.

And it would be trivial to see where the seam had been restitched.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the padlock on
and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone seam, sit the inside
out bag on top of head and pull down over body, then you are now inside
the locked bag and are only required to restitch the seam.
Job done.

And it would be trivial to see where the seam had been restitched.

What is all the fuss?
Wedge the lock in a door jamb.
Get in bag
zip it up
hook the zips over the shackle
push the shackle in

Try some other item of furniture if the door jamb doesn't work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 29/04/12 16:01, Michael Chare wrote:
I have been wondering about the spy in a bag with the locked zip.

Putting the padlock on to the two zip fasteners after closing the zips
might be difficult from the inside.

However it appears from the pictures I have seen that the two zip
fasteners would move along the zip when locked together.

So could the spy have put the lock on the zips whilst outside the bag,
forced the zip open between a zip fastener and the end, climbed in the
back and then perhaps with some difficult slid the fasteners along the
zip to close it, and then back to the middle position?

If it was the kind with two zips each with a hole on the end to take a
padlock I would have thought it possible. There would be small gap
between the two zips when closed with the ends brought together to fit
he padlock. I assume the padlock is the normal self-latching type. So
the trick bit is putting the lock staple through the two zip-ends and
the pressing the lock against a surface to lock it.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Rod Speed wrote

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the padlock on
and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone seam, sit the inside
out bag on top of head and pull down over body, then you are now inside
the locked bag and are only required to restitch the seam.
Job done.

And it would be trivial to see where the seam had been restitched.

What is all the fuss?
Wedge the lock in a door jamb.
Get in bag
zip it up
hook the zips over the shackle
push the shackle in

Like to see you do that when inside the bag.

Post it on youtube.

Corse you'll need to automate the youtube post.

Try some other item of furniture if the door jamb doesn't work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:44:44 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the padlock
on and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone seam, sit the
inside out bag on top of head and pull down over body, then you are
now inside the locked bag and are only required to restitch the seam.
Job done.

And it would be trivial to see where the seam had been restitched.

What is all the fuss?
Wedge the lock in a door jamb.
Get in bag
zip it up
hook the zips over the shackle
push the shackle in

Try some other item of furniture if the door jamb doesn't work.

Not a lot of options in a bath.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the padlock
on and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone seam, sit the
inside out bag on top of head and pull down over body, then you are
now inside the locked bag and are only required to restitch the seam.
Job done.

And it would be trivial to see where the seam had been restitched.

What is all the fuss?
Wedge the lock in a door jamb.
Get in bag
zip it up
hook the zips over the shackle
push the shackle in

Try some other item of furniture if the door jamb doesn't work.

Not a lot of options in a bath.

Not having seen the bath room but..

Cupboard doors, magnetic soap holder, soap, toilet seat, wedged behind tap,
wedged behind shower rail, maybe just hold it between feet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 18:57:31 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

And he calls himself an escapologist...?

In another paper, he was described as a "yoga expert".

On TV he was a "confined spaces expert"

Perhaps he farts in lifts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote
Bob Eager wrote

Try some other item of furniture if the door jamb doesn't work.

Not a lot of options in a bath.

maybe he had fond memories of doing the sack race at school

Looks more like seriously weird.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 6:31*pm, mike wrote:
On Apr 29, 6:13*pm, Jonathan wrote:

According to my paper, an escapologist tried 200 times and could not
do it.

Jonathan

And he calls himself an escapologist...?

In another paper, he was described as a "yoga expert".

Different person

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod wrote in message

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the padlock
on and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone seam, sit the
inside out bag on top of head and pull down over body, then you are
now inside the locked bag and are only required to restitch the seam.
Job done.

And it would be trivial to see where the seam had been restitched.

What is all the fuss?
Wedge the lock in a door jamb.
Get in bag
zip it up
hook the zips over the shackle
push the shackle in

Try some other item of furniture if the door jamb doesn't work.

Not a lot of options in a bath.

Not to mention that the expert view was that it was difficult to get in
the bag when on the floor, but impossible when in the bath.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 06:20:59 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

"ss" wrote in message

[snip]

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the
padlock on and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone
seam, sit the inside out bag on top of head and pull down over
body, then you are now inside the locked bag and are only required
to restitch the seam. Job done.

And it would be trivial to see where the seam had been restitched.

And there would be a needle lying around somewhere in or near the bag.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 06:20:59 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

"ss" wrote in message

[snip]

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the
padlock on and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone
seam, sit the inside out bag on top of head and pull down over
body, then you are now inside the locked bag and are only required
to restitch the seam. Job done.

And it would be trivial to see where the seam had been restitched.

And there would be a needle lying around somewhere in or near the bag.

Indeed, the original claim is completely silly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 30/04/2012 10:48, Rod Speed wrote:
And there would be a needle lying around somewhere in or near the bag.

Indeed, the original claim is completely silly.

Silly it maybe but it is possible, that aside with all the suggestions
posted I certainly think he was placed in the bag by a third party.
Not understanding the sexual thinking of this but I cant understand why
anyone would put themselves in such a situation knowing the likelyhood
of escaping is pretty much zero, get a thrill from this type of
situation yes but is death for some the ultimate sexual thrill?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And there would be a needle lying around somewhere in or near the bag.

Indeed, the original claim is completely silly.

Silly it maybe

No maybe about it.

but it is possible,

But not without leaving obvious evidence that that was done.

that aside with all the suggestions posted I certainly
think he was placed in the bag by a third party.

There isnt any evidence for anything else.

Not understanding the sexual thinking of this but I cant understand
why anyone would put themselves in such a situation knowing the
likelyhood of escaping is pretty much zero,

He had already done that previously but had got released by someone else.

get a thrill from this type of situation yes but
is death for some the ultimate sexual thrill?

Presumably he believed the other person who
locked him in there would release him even
when that didn't happen on the previous occasion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke :
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 06:20:59 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

"ss" wrote in message

[snip]

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the
padlock on and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone
seam, sit the inside out bag on top of head and pull down over
body, then you are now inside the locked bag and are only required
to restitch the seam. Job done.

And it would be trivial to see where the seam had been restitched.

And there would be a needle lying around somewhere in or near the bag.

Not related to that suggestion, but he could have manufactured special
tools to assist him in getting into the bag and locking it. Tools made
of ice.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:50:47 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:
I have been wondering about the spy in a bag with the locked zip.

Putting the padlock on to the two zip fasteners after closing the zips
might be difficult from the inside.

However it appears from the pictures I have seen that the two zip
fasteners would move along the zip when locked together.

So could the spy have put the lock on the zips whilst outside the bag,
forced the zip open between a zip fastener and the end, climbed in the
back and then perhaps with some difficult slid the fasteners along the
zip to close it, and then back to the middle position?

It might not be easy but the spy was a slender keen cyclist, so
possibly quite strong.

Schrodinger's spy.

Maybe he spent years practicing the technique until he could do it,
but failed to think through the effect of being inside a locked bag...
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2012 21:07, geoff wrote:
In message om,

Perhaps it was a moebius bag: went straight in via the fourth
dimension....

Or rather a (Calvin) Klein bag

Yes, I realised just too late that this was what I meant....

Check out Cliff Stoll's talk on TED if you want to see someone *really*
weird
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
Mike Clarke :
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 06:20:59 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

"ss" wrote in message

[snip]

With the bag empty undo a small section of the seam, put the
padlock on and lock it, turn the bag inside out via the undone
seam, sit the inside out bag on top of head and pull down over
body, then you are now inside the locked bag and are only required
to restitch the seam. Job done.

And it would be trivial to see where the seam had been restitched.

And there would be a needle lying around somewhere in or near the bag.

Not related to that suggestion, but he could have manufactured special
tools to assist him in getting into the bag and locking it. Tools made
of ice.

Nope, you cant do that with tools made of ice. Or with dry ice either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

On 29/04/2012 21:07, geoff wrote:

Or rather a (Calvin) Klein bag

Check out Cliff Stoll's talk on TED if you want to see someone *really*
weird

Wow! I remember emailing him when I stumbled across his klein
bottle/scarf website, and suggested he could try make a klein bain-marie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2012 12:11, Rod Speed wrote:
Presumably he believed the other person who locked him in there would
release him even when that didn't happen on the previous occasion.

.... and then when the other person couldn't find the keys (which were in
the bag) and realised the spook had snuffed it he scarpers.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Presumably he believed the other person who locked him in there would
release him even when that didn't happen on the previous occasion.

... and then when the other person couldn't find the keys (which were
in the bag) and realised the spook had snuffed it he scarpers.

Tho presumably he must have left some of his DNA behind.

Not that easy to get rid of all of that once the fool has died.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 14:06:19 +0100, Adam Funk
wrote:

On TV he was a "confined spaces expert"

Perhaps he farts in lifts.

And that makes you^W me^W someone an expert? Wow!

It doesn't take much these days, with the low standard of journalism
we've come to expect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy
Champ escribió:

... and then when the other person couldn't find the keys (which were in
the bag) and realised the spook had snuffed it he scarpers.

My thought too, but what makes you think it was a he?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-30, Andy Burns wrote:

newshound wrote:

On 29/04/2012 21:07, geoff wrote:

Or rather a (Calvin) Klein bag

Check out Cliff Stoll's talk on TED if you want to see someone *really*
weird

Wow! I remember emailing him when I stumbled across his klein
bottle/scarf website, and suggested he could try make a klein bain-marie

Interesting culinary idea.

His books are quite good.