Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default correct flex for extension cable

I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Cheers

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 3:41*pm, Jim K wrote:
I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Cheers

Jim K

Flex under carpet not really clever. You'd be better to wire/have
wired a new permanent socket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K presented the following explanation :
I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Cheers

Jim K

Flex should never be run under carpet. Flex or cables under load
generate heat and the heat needs to be able to get away quickly, carpet
will insulate and contain the heat.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 3:49*pm, harry wrote:
On Apr 29, 3:41*pm, Jim K wrote:

I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Cheers

Jim K

Flex under carpet not really clever. *You'd be better to wire/have
wired a new permanent socket.

rented house....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 4:11*pm, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Jim K presented the following explanation :

I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Cheers

Jim K

Flex should never be run under carpet. Flex or cables under load
generate heat and the heat needs to be able to get away quickly, carpet
will insulate and contain the heat.

so given the load is light - medium sized flat screen TV & a Sky box
& DVD player...what size conductors will best minimise any heating
effect?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Jim K presented the following explanation :

I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Cheers

Jim K

Flex should never be run under carpet. Flex or cables under load
generate heat and the heat needs to be able to get away quickly, carpet
will insulate and contain the heat.

so given the load is light - medium sized flat screen TV & a Sky box
& DVD player...what size conductors will best minimise any heating
effect?

Jim K

Number 3183y 1.5 3 core will do you.
I believe that the outer is made in several colours but the common ones are
white or black.

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Apr 29, 3:41 pm, Jim K wrote:
I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Cheers

Jim K

Flex under carpet not really clever. You'd be better to wire/have
wired a new permanent socket.

even less clever if a lightning strike burns holes in said carpet...
DAMHIKT.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Jim K presented the following explanation :

I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Cheers

Jim K

Flex should never be run under carpet. Flex or cables under load
generate heat and the heat needs to be able to get away quickly, carpet
will insulate and contain the heat.

so given the load is light - medium sized flat screen TV & *a Sky box
& DVD player...what size conductors will best minimise any heating
effect?

Jim K

Number 3183y 1.5 3 core will do you.
I believe that the outer is made in several colours but the common ones are
white or black.

Jim G

Carpet insulates, but not a lot, it wont make very much difference.
Flexes under carpet are prone to having grit trodden into them. If
you're going to do it anyway, the thinnest mains flex will suffiice
electrically, no need to go up in size.

Ideally you should size it for voltage drop too, but it sounds like
your kit is all smpsu based, and wont give a hoot about v drop.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Cable
shows 1mm^2 cable has 44mV/A/m Vdrop. If your total load is around 1A,
that'll be about 8m x 44mV = 0.35v drop, a complete non-issue

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Under carpet? 1.5 mm2 SWA would do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 08:19:54 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

Flex under carpet not really clever. *You'd be better to wire/have
wired a new permanent socket.

rented house....

Uncooperative landlord as well?

If you have to use an extension cable do not put it under the carpet.
Not from the overheating POV but the hidden wear/damage one. Only a
real problem if crossing a door or under another trafficed area,
running along the join between carpet and skirting above the carpet
would be best.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
harry wrote:
On Apr 29, 3:41 pm, Jim K wrote:
I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Cheers

Jim K

Flex under carpet not really clever. You'd be better to wire/have
wired a new permanent socket.

even less clever if a lightning strike burns holes in said carpet...
DAMHIKT.

Don't be silly, they were decomissioned in 1988

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2012 17:16, NT wrote:

Carpet insulates, but not a lot, it wont make very much difference.
Flexes under carpet are prone to having grit trodden into them. If
you're going to do it anyway, the thinnest mains flex will suffiice
electrically, no need to go up in size.

Ideally you should size it for voltage drop too, but it sounds like
your kit is all smpsu based, and wont give a hoot about v drop.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Cable
shows 1mm^2 cable has 44mV/A/m Vdrop. If your total load is around 1A,
that'll be about 8m x 44mV = 0.35v drop, a complete non-issue

NT

Yeah... but...

Many years ago I did exactly that, and sized an extension lead for the
load it was going to get.

Then I moved.

For the next 20 years I cursed (occasionally) that I had a lead that was
long enough, but could only handle 5 amps!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 6:51*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
On 29/04/2012 17:16, NT wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of a family that had a whole kitchen running on an old
5A circuit. The oven wasnt thermostatic either.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, NT
writes
On 29/04/2012 17:16, NT wrote:

[...]

Kitchen?

That's what my whole house in Indonesia was running off when I bought it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 3:41*pm, Jim K wrote:
I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

It does not, for reasons given.

What spec flex do I need?

H07RNF (sometimes miss listed as HO7RNF).
Black rubber used outside industrially.

1.5mm fused at 3A with plug in RCD if circuit lacks one (fire).
Run it around the edge of the room, will out last you.

www.10outof10.co.uk and others will do it, check ebay in case lucky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Jim K presented the following explanation :
I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Cheers

Jim K

Flex should never be run under carpet. Flex or cables under load generate
heat and the heat needs to be able to get away quickly, carpet will
insulate and contain the heat.

There wont be enough current in it with a TV and assoc gizmos.

Corse another permanent socket does make a lot more sense but
may be a lot harder to do too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Jim K presented the following explanation :

I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Cheers

Jim K

Flex should never be run under carpet. Flex or cables under load
generate heat and the heat needs to be able to get away quickly, carpet
will insulate and contain the heat.

so given the load is light - medium sized flat screen TV & a Sky box
& DVD player...what size conductors will best minimise any heating
effect?

Anything except bell wire etc should be fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Kitchen?

That's what my whole house in Indonesia was running off when I bought it

I've seen a country farmhouse in Latvia with the same - 5A stamped on the
meter and a couple of dodgey bits of T+E meandering off. Enough for the
telly, couple of light bulbs and well-pump (that was a modcon - another
place I stayed was a proper lob a bucket down the well on a rope affair).

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
geoff wrote:

Kitchen?

That's what my whole house in Indonesia was running off when I bought it

I've seen a country farmhouse in Latvia with the same - 5A stamped on the
meter and a couple of dodgey bits of T+E meandering off. Enough for the
telly, couple of light bulbs and well-pump

The number of times I've had to leap out of the shower covered in foam
wrap a sarong around and go outside and reset the breaker because the
ageing pump had tripped it on startup ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 18:25:26 +0100, geoff wrote:

even less clever if a lightning strike burns holes in said carpet...
DAMHIKT.

Don't be silly, they were decomissioned in 1988

And this isn't the 70s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 4:19*pm, Jim K wrote:
On Apr 29, 3:49*pm, harry wrote:

On Apr 29, 3:41*pm, Jim K wrote:

I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos.
It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Cheers

Jim K

Flex under carpet not really clever. *You'd be better to wire/have
wired a new permanent socket.

rented house....

Jim K

You can still end up dead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
Jim K wrote
harry wrote
Jim K wrote

I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv
& assoc gizmos. It needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Flex under carpet not really clever. You'd be better
to wire/have wired a new permanent socket.

rented house....

You can still end up dead.

Not with a light weight extension cord for a TV
and its associated stuff under the carpet you cant.

You are in fact more likely to end up dead with it
on top of the carpet. You might trip on it and whack
your head against the edge of the table or something.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Or at least wired it aroung the very edge so folk don't tread on it.
Brian

problem might arise in front of a door

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Or at least wired it aroung the very edge so folk don't tread on it.

Its no worse than walking on one that’s lying on top of the carpet.

Hardly the end of civilisation was we know it.

harry wrote
Jim K wrote

I need to make up a 25ft extension flex for a tv & assoc gizmos. It
needs to run under carpet.

What spec flex do I need?

Flex under carpet not really clever. You'd be better to wire/have wired
a new permanent socket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:13:43 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

Flex under carpet not really clever. *You'd be better to

wire/have
wired a new permanent socket.

rented house....

You can still end up dead.

Or homeless 'cause of a fire.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
harry wrote

Flex under carpet not really clever. You'd be better to
wire/have wired a new permanent socket.

rented house....

You can still end up dead.

Or homeless 'cause of a fire.

No more reason for a fire than with an extension flex
on top of the carpet with that sort of minimal load.

In fact less reason as it gets kicked around rather less under the carpet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:38:42 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

I've seen a country farmhouse in Latvia with the same - 5A stamped on the
meter and a couple of dodgey bits of T+E meandering off. Enough for the
telly, couple of light bulbs and well-pump (that was a modcon - another
place I stayed was a proper lob a bucket down the well on a rope affair).

A cottage I nearly bought some years ago was unimproved since rural
electric came to it in the 1950s. A 20A meter fed one fuse for the
sole light in the living/kitchen room and that was it.
Iirc, the hook-up cost in the 50s was thirty quid or so.
It cost extra to have a socket - so they didn't bother.

Cable or flex? Autolycus[_2_] UK diy 8 February 6th 08 07:38 AM
source of flex cable Michael Kennedy Electronics Repair 20 November 12th 07 06:59 PM
Cooker flex/cable again! Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 December 10th 06 10:54 AM
Hi-Tuf or flex for outdoor power extension Stephen Gower UK diy 5 June 8th 06 11:17 PM
Attaching flex cable to PCB Franc Zabkar Electronics Repair 22 November 21st 04 06:54 AM