Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default source of flex cable

I have a casio ex word dictionary that has a broken flex ribbon cable. Is
there anywhere that I could possibly source a replacement. The connection on
each end is the same, and I could live with something that will just work
rather than the original cable. I think there are 28 pins on the end but it
is rather difficult to count. The spacing is the same as if you lined 30
gauge wire side by side. I had tried to solder #30 wire to the connections
unsuccessfully. I thought I had it, the ohm meter said it was good, but I
think when I moved it to assemble everything the weak solder joints broke.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
I have a casio ex word dictionary that has a broken flex ribbon cable. Is
there anywhere that I could possibly source a replacement. The connection
on each end is the same, and I could live with something that will just
work rather than the original cable. I think there are 28 pins on the end
but it is rather difficult to count. The spacing is the same as if you
lined 30 gauge wire side by side. I had tried to solder #30 wire to the
connections unsuccessfully. I thought I had it, the ohm meter said it was
good, but I think when I moved it to assemble everything the weak solder
joints broke.

I also forgot to mention that the way it is broken it makes using conductive
paint unfeasible.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
I have a casio ex word dictionary that has a broken flex ribbon cable. Is
there anywhere that I could possibly source a replacement. The connection
on each end is the same, and I could live with something that will just
work rather than the original cable. I think there are 28 pins on the end
but it is rather difficult to count. The spacing is the same as if you
lined 30 gauge wire side by side. I had tried to solder #30 wire to the
connections unsuccessfully. I thought I had it, the ohm meter said it was
good, but I think when I moved it to assemble everything the weak solder
joints broke.

I also forgot to mention that the way it is broken it makes using
conductive paint unfeasible.

I looked at this thing again and it has 27 pins with 2 pins per mm.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Michael Kennedy wrote:
I have a casio ex word dictionary that has a broken flex ribbon cable. Is
there anywhere that I could possibly source a replacement. The connection on
each end is the same, and I could live with something that will just work
rather than the original cable. I think there are 28 pins on the end but it
is rather difficult to count. The spacing is the same as if you lined 30
gauge wire side by side. I had tried to solder #30 wire to the connections
unsuccessfully. I thought I had it, the ohm meter said it was good, but I
think when I moved it to assemble everything the weak solder joints broke.

I recently had to fix a portable dvd player which ahd intermittent
laser supply. traced to a duff flex cable between pickup and pcb.My
local parts supplier said NLA. So will have to try elsewhere. I
suppose I'm luckier as i may be able to source one from a scrap cd-
rom drive or similar. maybe you could look at this option....
good luck.
b.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

I have a casio ex word dictionary that has a broken flex ribbon cable. Is
there anywhere that I could possibly source a replacement. The connection on
each end is the same, and I could live with something that will just work
rather than the original cable. I think there are 28 pins on the end but it
is rather difficult to count. The spacing is the same as if you lined 30
gauge wire side by side.

That's not much help to non-americans. 'Gauge' i.e. AWG is a US only measure.
The rest of the world uses mm.

Can you measure the pitch properly ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

[...]

That's no 'ribbon cable' I suspect. Do you mean a flexible pcb construction

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Michael Kennedy wrote:

I have a casio ex word dictionary that has a broken flex ribbon cable. Is
there anywhere that I could possibly source a replacement. The connection
on
each end is the same, and I could live with something that will just work
rather than the original cable. I think there are 28 pins on the end but
it
is rather difficult to count. The spacing is the same as if you lined 30
gauge wire side by side.

That's not much help to non-americans. 'Gauge' i.e. AWG is a US only
measure.
The rest of the world uses mm.

Can you measure the pitch properly ?

Graham

I later measuered it and it appears to have 2 pins per mm and 27 pins.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Michael Kennedy wrote:

[...]

Yes I meant flexible pcb.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Can you specify the model number of your Casio? That might spark a
light for someone that might have a non-working unit in their parts
box.

Cheers,
Lawrence

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Michael Kennedy wrote:

I have a casio ex word dictionary that has a broken flex ribbon cable.
Is
there anywhere that I could possibly source a replacement. The
connection on
each end is the same, and I could live with something that will just
work
rather than the original cable. I think there are 28 pins on the end but
it
is rather difficult to count. The spacing is the same as if you lined 30
gauge wire side by side.

That's not much help to non-americans. 'Gauge' i.e. AWG is a US only
measure.
The rest of the world uses mm.

Can you measure the pitch properly ?

Graham

I later measuered it and it appears to have 2 pins per mm and 27 pins.

If it's one of the flexiprints where the tracks terminate as 'fingers' which
then insert into a connector, and it's gone near the end, just at one of the
reinforcing strips, you can often remake the end by removing the reinforcing
strip, and cutting the flexiprint back to just beyond the fracture, with a
sharp scalpel. The plastic coating over the tracks can then be fairly easily
removed using a blunt curved scalpel blade, to expose a new set of
'fingers'. This 'new' end can then be inserted into the connector, and the
reinforcing strip slipped back in behind it.

They are made by Multicomp or Pro Power

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/100853.pdf

and over here, Farnell keep them. You can cut down ones that are too wide
with a sharp scalpel, so I guess you could use a 35 way. You could try
www.farnell.com and have a look at their US site. Part number for a 35
way 0.5mm pitch here, is 1455407

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Michael Kennedy wrote:
"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message

I also forgot to mention that the way it is broken it makes using
conductive paint unfeasible.

I looked at this thing again and it has 27 pins with 2 pins per mm.

That's no 'ribbon cable' I suspect. Do you mean a flexible pcb
construction

Yes I meant flexible pcb.

Right !

That's VERY different. I'd think seriously about whether you need to do this.
These flexible PCBs are custom made in every case. Your only option AFAICS is to
replace it entirely with many very fine wires. Hey, or even just patch the
problem conductors.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Michael Kennedy wrote:

[...]

You are a lifesaver Arfa! You always help me when I've got a problem. What
happened is it is partially broken in the middle where it flexes. One of the
hinges is broken and thats why the flex broke. Is flexprint the correct name
for this type of cable? I wonder if mouser or digi-key stocks these.

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"lmcclaf" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can you specify the model number of your Casio? That might spark a
light for someone that might have a non-working unit in their parts
box.

Cheers,
Lawrence

This belongs to my friend from Japan. She bought it in Japan years ago. I
couldn't find the model number until now... It is a XD-R8100.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

That's not much help to non-americans. 'Gauge' i.e. AWG is a US only
measure.
The rest of the world uses mm.

Can you measure the pitch properly ?

Graham

Conversion charts are readily available, it should be easy to work with
either system.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

That's not much help to non-americans. 'Gauge' i.e. AWG is a US only
measure.
The rest of the world uses mm.

Can you measure the pitch properly ?

Conversion charts are readily available, it should be easy to work with
either system.

AWG is a pain in the ass. Metric sizes can be directly used in calculations
without the use of any 'tables'.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Can't you salvage a cable from an old flatbed scanner or printer and cut
it down?
No idea if the pins match but as suggested by another poster, if it's
very small try an old dvd or cd drive for a cable and trim to suit.
I found it's possible to shorten a cable and scrape the plastic off to
expose the contacts again, expose a bit longer and then trim to size.

Cheetah
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

James Sweet wrote:

That's not much help to non-americans. 'Gauge' i.e. AWG is a US only
measure.
The rest of the world uses mm.

Can you measure the pitch properly ?

Conversion charts are readily available, it should be easy to work with
either system.

AWG is a pain in the ass. Metric sizes can be directly used in
calculations
without the use of any 'tables'.

Why's it a pain in the ass? A given AWG has a direct metric equivalent, I
have no problem with either system. I prefer metric for everything, but I
guess I just don't see the difficulty. All it takes is memorizing a handful
of numbers, it's easier than the resistor color code.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote:
James Sweet wrote:

That's not much help to non-americans. 'Gauge' i.e. AWG is a US only
measure. The rest of the world uses mm.

Can you measure the pitch properly ?

Conversion charts are readily available, it should be easy to work with
either system.

AWG is a pain in the ass. Metric sizes can be directly used in
calculations without the use of any 'tables'.

Why's it a pain in the ass? A given AWG has a direct metric equivalent,

An inaccurate equivalent.

I have no problem with either system. I prefer metric for everything, but I
guess I just don't see the difficulty. All it takes is memorizing a handful
of numbers, it's easier than the resistor color code.

There is no NEED for ANY code when using metric measures. Would you like to have
to look up values for voltage, current, resitance, inductance and capacitance in
tables or charts too ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Michael Kennedy wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Michael Kennedy wrote:
"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message

I also forgot to mention that the way it is broken it makes using
conductive paint unfeasible.

I looked at this thing again and it has 27 pins with 2 pins per mm.

That's no 'ribbon cable' I suspect. Do you mean a flexible pcb
construction

Yes I meant flexible pcb.

Right !

That's VERY different. I'd think seriously about whether you need to do
this.
These flexible PCBs are custom made in every case. Your only option AFAICS
is to
replace it entirely with many very fine wires. Hey, or even just patch the
problem conductors.

Graham

Nope. Readily available in our neck of the woods from Farnell, Graham.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

lmcclaf writes:

Can you specify the model number of your Casio? That might spark a
light for someone that might have a non-working unit in their parts
box.

I'd suggest revisiting the 30 gauge wirewrap wire solution. That's
got to be easier than soldering 50 connections that are less than
1 mm apart!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:
Why's it a pain in the ass? A given AWG has a direct metric equivalent, I
have no problem with either system. I prefer metric for everything, but I
guess I just don't see the difficulty. All it takes is memorizing a handful
of numbers, it's easier than the resistor color code.

But does it have a really cool and salacious mnemonic?

--
One meter, to within 0.0125% accuracy (off by just under .005 inches):
Three feet

Cooker flex/cable again! PeterK UK diy 18 April 18th 16 10:15 PM
Cooker flex/cable again! Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 December 10th 06 10:54 AM
Oven flex or cable PeterK UK diy 4 November 12th 06 09:23 AM
Attaching flex cable to PCB Franc Zabkar Electronics Repair 22 November 21st 04 06:54 AM
38 pin flex cable (flat conductor) Sidney Electronics Repair 0 October 29th 04 02:27 AM