Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

Default The Shed Thread

On Apr 28, 6:19*pm, JNugent wrote:
On 28/04/2012 18:08, Bertie Wooster wrote:

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 17:22:11 +0100,
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 09:21:12 +0100, Bertie
wrote:

snip

...... *howler was that breeze blocks were just compacted ash and
cinder without cement to bond it together

I am sure that you can point out that post from Dave which said that - unless
you are lying.

Smith claimed that breeze blocks *were* concrete blocks.

They aren't.

Wikipedia is often wrong, but I don't think so in this case:

=====Quote=====
Concrete blocks are made from cast concrete, i.e. Portland cement and
aggregate, usually sand and fine gravel for high-density blocks. Lower
density blocks may use industrial wastes as an aggregate. Those that
use cinders (fly ash or bottom ash) are called cinder blocks in the
US, breeze blocks (breeze is a synonym of ash)[1] in the UK and are
also known as besser blocks or bricks in Australia.
=====/Quote=====
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_masonry_unit

I also think it's wrong to distinguish breeze blocks from concrete blocks..
Not all concrete blocks are breeze blocks, but all breeze blocks are (a form
of) concrete block.

That we don't think of them as being concrete is just cultural.

The Romans (who invented the stuff) produced even lighter concrete by means
of using pumice (lightweight solidified volcanic lava) as the aggregate
rather than the ash used for modern breeze blocks.

Surely uk.d-i-y could settle this argument? Medway will respect them.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-breeze-block.htm
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Fair enough.

That breeze blocks are a form of concrete does not, of course, mean that they
are suitable as foundation stones. No-one would rest scaffolding on the dome
of the Pantheon.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Interesting. Medway's false mirth at me using the term to describe
concrete blocks generically looks even more misplaced.
=====Quote=====
concrete blocks are referred to generically as “breeze blocks,”
whether or not ash is present.
=====/Quote=====
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:31:56 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

=====Quote=====
concrete blocks are referred to generically as “breeze blocks,”
whether or not ash is present.
=====/Quote=====

Only by those who know no better.
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

Surely uk.d-i-y could settle this argument? Medway will respect them.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-breeze-block.htm

I think this link is wrong. I think Breeze blocks date from the 50's
(perhaps earlier?) and were made with some sort of clinker or slag.
Certainly they were much harder to drill than today's standard (not
lightweight) concrete blocks. I suspect it might have been a proprietary
name.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 8:55*pm, newshound wrote:
Surely uk.d-i-y could settle this argument? Medway will respect them.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-breeze-block.htm

I think this link is wrong. I think Breeze blocks date from the 50's
(perhaps earlier?) and were made with some sort of clinker or slag.
Certainly they were much harder to drill than today's standard (not
lightweight) concrete blocks. I suspect it might have been a proprietary
name.

Elsewhere on the web says 1930s.

Wikipedia has this:-
"Concrete blocks are made from cast concrete, i.e. Portland cement and
aggregate, usually sand and fine gravel for high-density blocks. Lower
density blocks may use industrial wastes as an aggregate. Those that
use cinders (fly ash or bottom ash) are called cinder blocks in the
US, breeze blocks (breeze is a synonym of ash)[1] in the UK and are
also known as besser blocks or bricks in Australia."

So breeze blocks are lower density concrete blocks using ash as an
aggregate.

We had someone called Judith on URC saying:-
"Breeze blocks are not made out of concrete - they are made out of ash
and
cinder."

The web has this:-
"Breeze block - a light concrete building block made with cinder
aggregate; "cinder blocks are called breeze blocks in Britain""

Judith:- "Feel free to point out any blocks made from cinders and ash
which are sold as concrete blocks."

On the web
"Lignacite Ltd Ashlite concrete blocks comprise a range of medium
dense, load bearing units, used in internal or external walls. Ashlite
is a light weight, robust and durable block ideal for plastering and
flooring. The blocks are manufactured from cement, sand, ash and other
lightweight aggregates, and it contains 100% recycled aggregates and
is compliant with the BREEAM standard."
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

Squashme wrote
newshound wrote

[...]

That last isnt right. That name is used for all concrete blocks
and we don't have many at all made from industrial waste.

[...]

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 10:11*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Squashme wrote

newshound wrote
[...]

In Australia, I trust?

[...]

is compliant with the BREEAM standard."- Hide quoted text -

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 07:11:22 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Squashme wrote
newshound wrote

[...]

It is not just that last bit which is incorrect - he thinks that "cement" and
"concrete" are the same thing.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

Squashme wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Squashme wrote
newshound wrote

[...]

Yeah, that's why I included that 'that last' bit. Bit cryptic, sorry.

[...]

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

"Judith" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 07:11:22 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Squashme wrote
newshound wrote

[...]

No he doesn't.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Surely uk.d-i-y could settle this argument? Medway will respect them.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-breeze-block.htm

I think this link is wrong. I think Breeze blocks date from the 50's
(perhaps earlier?) and were made with some sort of clinker or slag.
Certainly they were much harder to drill than today's standard (not
lightweight) concrete blocks. I suspect it might have been a proprietary
name.

well that is in fact what the link says.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y

Phil W Lee wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Squashme wrote
newshound wrote

[...]

I've also heard the description "cinder block" used in the UK,
usually for the coarser variety of breeze block (and in particular
when a large weight of them were being removed from my house).

Sure, but I was just commenting on the last bit about Australia.