Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flat roof repair

I have 20sq.m. of 40-year old, north-facing, felted flat roof which is
showing some cracks and there are signs off leakage onto plasterwork below.

Having looked around at repair products available it's clear that there are
many choices and a wide variation in price. I would be grateful if someone
with experience could advise on:

Technology - bitumen, acrylic, rubber
Brands - much the same for a given technology?
Application - coverage per lit how many coats.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 25, 4:41*pm, "Roger Cain"
wrote:
I have 20sq.m. of 40-year old, north-facing, felted flat roof which is
showing some cracks and there are signs off leakage onto plasterwork below.

Having looked around at repair products available it's clear that there are
many choices and a wide variation in price. I would be grateful if someone
with experience could advise on:

Technology - bitumen, acrylic, rubber
Brands - much the same for a given technology?
Application - coverage per lit how many coats.

Thanks.

You may well find the whole structure is rotted through. You will
only find out by stripping the bitumous felt off.
Flat roofs are bad news.
If you can install a pitched roof, that is the best thing.
If not, there are better materials to use, butyl rubber or GRP is
better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 25, 4:41 pm, "Roger Cain"
wrote:
I have 20sq.m. of 40-year old, north-facing, felted flat roof which is
showing some cracks and there are signs off leakage onto plasterwork
below.

Having looked around at repair products available it's clear that there
are
many choices and a wide variation in price. I would be grateful if
someone
with experience could advise on:

Technology - bitumen, acrylic, rubber
Brands - much the same for a given technology?
Application - coverage per lit how many coats.

Thanks.

You may well find the whole structure is rotted through. You will
only find out by stripping the bitumous felt off.
Flat roofs are bad news.

Not if you put metal decking on it.

If you can install a pitched roof, that is the best thing.

Nope. Metal decking is much better.

If not, there are better materials to use, butyl rubber or GRP is better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 25, 4:41 pm, "Roger Cain"
wrote:
I have 20sq.m. of 40-year old, north-facing, felted flat roof which is
showing some cracks and there are signs off leakage onto plasterwork
below.

Having looked around at repair products available it's clear that there
are
many choices and a wide variation in price. I would be grateful if
someone
with experience could advise on:

Technology - bitumen, acrylic, rubber
Brands - much the same for a given technology?
Application - coverage per lit how many coats.

Thanks.

You may well find the whole structure is rotted through. You will
only find out by stripping the bitumous felt off.
Flat roofs are bad news.

Not if you put metal decking on it.

If you can install a pitched roof, that is the best thing.

Nope. Metal decking is much better.

Except the pikeys are prone to nicking it.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 25, 4:41 pm, "Roger Cain"
wrote:
[...]

Not when its galvanised or aluminium.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 26, 10:55*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Tim Watts wrote in message

Rod Speed wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 25, 4:41 pm, "Roger Cain"
wrote:
[...]

You think they know the difference?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nope. Metal decking is much better.

Except the pikeys are prone to nicking it.

Not when its galvanised or aluminium.

Isnt aluminium worth nicking?

What kind of metal flatroof is walkable on?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 16:41:11 +0100, Roger Cain wrote:

I have 20sq.m. of 40-year old, north-facing, felted flat roof which is
showing some cracks and there are signs off leakage onto plasterwork
below.

At 40 years old it's about 20 years past its expected life...

Repairing is probably not going to work. I wouldn't be surprised of
it starts to fall apart as you move about it patching it up. Or at
the very least develop more holes in different places.

As wet is getting through to the plaster below the boards are
probably half rotten in places as well. I suspect once you start
fiddling you'll find so much wrong that you may as well have bitten
the bullet in the first place on a strip, re-board, re-cover. You
still need to choose what to re-cover it with though:

Torch on felt.
Glass fibre matt and resin.
EDPM rubber sheet.

If the weather ever settles down for our second summer the flat roof
here is going to get stripped, insulated boarded and glassfibred.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

Why don't you lot use metal decking ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 25, 10:59*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
[...]

Why don't you lot use metal decking ?- Hide quoted text -

It looks like ****.
Unless it is aluminium or SS it doesn't last long.
It's noisy in the rain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry wrote:
Why don't you lot use metal decking ?- Hide quoted text -

It looks like ****.
Unless it is aluminium or SS it doesn't last long.
It's noisy in the rain.

Traditionally zinc.

--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 00:51:26 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

Why don't you lot use metal decking ?

It looks like ****.
Unless it is aluminium or SS it doesn't last long.

Copper or lead lasts well, if you can stop the pikeys having away
with it. B-)

It's noisy in the rain.

The way a copper or lead roof would be done here on a house I don't
think it would be any noisier than felt/GRP/EDPM. The steel/ali
insulated metal roof stuff that industrial units and retail park type
shops use isn't too bad but I wouldn't want it above a bedroom. The
corrugated sheeting found on cheap agricultural buildings in the UK
and houses in Oz is fing noisy.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
harry wrote

Why don't you lot use metal decking ?

It looks like ****.
Unless it is aluminium or SS it doesn't last long.

Copper or lead lasts well, if you can stop the pikeys having away with it.
B-)

So does decent galvanised decking. And they don't steal that.

It's noisy in the rain.

The way a copper or lead roof would be done here on a
house I don't think it would be any noisier than felt/GRP/EDPM.

Yep.

The steel/ali insulated metal roof stuff that industrial units and retail
park
type shops use isn't too bad but I wouldn't want it above a bedroom.

Some actually like the sound. And you can do it over ply
that would be used for the felt etc and that stops the noise.

The corrugated sheeting found on cheap agricultural
buildings in the UK and houses in Oz is fing noisy.

Metal decking aint corrugated sheeting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 00:51:26 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

Why don't you lot use metal decking ?

It looks like ****.
Unless it is aluminium or SS it doesn't last long.

Copper or lead lasts well, if you can stop the pikeys having away
with it. B-)

It's noisy in the rain.

The way a copper or lead roof would be done here on a house I don't
think it would be any noisier than felt/GRP/EDPM.

Question is would you be able to -afford- copper;?..

And insure it...

The steel/ali
insulated metal roof stuff that industrial units and retail park type
shops use isn't too bad but I wouldn't want it above a bedroom. The
corrugated sheeting found on cheap agricultural buildings in the UK
and houses in Oz is fing noisy.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Liquorice wrote
Roger Cain wrote

[...]

Looks a hell of a lot better than rotting felt or fiberglass.

Unless it is aluminium or SS it doesn't last long.

Mindlessly silly. Mine has lasted 40 years fine
and has got at least another 40 years left.

It's noisy in the rain.

Trivially avoided by having ply underneath
it that you need for felt and fiberglass anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The _felt_ is 40 years old? Holy moly. Forget repair fluids, get stuck in and refelt it. Put down a thin layer of plywood to smooth everything out and then apply something like Wickes self adhesive underlay and top layer. That stuff is fantastic: easy to apply, guaranteed for 20 years and, more importantly really feels solid. Not what you'd expect from something 'self-adhesive'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
19459191.3412.1335369059639.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbfr18,
alamaison wrote:
The _felt_ is 40 years old? Holy moly. Forget repair fluids, get stuck
in and refelt it. Put down a thin layer of plywood to smooth everything
out and then apply something like Wickes self adhesive underlay and top
layer. That stuff is fantastic: easy to apply, guaranteed for 20 years
and, more importantly really feels solid. Not what you'd expect from
something 'self-adhesive'.

Interesting. Know if there are full instructions online anywhere? Or do
Wicks do a leaflet?

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alamaison wrote:
The _felt_ is 40 years old? Holy moly. Forget repair fluids, get stuck
in and refelt it. Put down a thin layer of plywood to smooth everything
out and then apply something like Wickes self adhesive underlay and top
layer. That stuff is fantastic: easy to apply, guaranteed for 20 years
and, more importantly really feels solid. Not what you'd expect from
something 'self-adhesive'.

Interesting. Know if there are full instructions online anywhere? Or do
Wicks do a leaflet?

They do indeed:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz...ges/gil/64.pdf
http://www.wickes.co.uk/pcat/pcat/65roofing

If you decide to do the job, pop into a Wickes store and pick up printed versions. You'll need them on-hand throughout.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
16276733.937.1335405003723.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbcg6,
alamaison wrote:
Interesting. Know if there are full instructions online anywhere? Or do
Wicks do a leaflet?

They do indeed:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz...ges/gil/64.pdf
http://www.wickes.co.uk/pcat/pcat/65roofing

If you decide to do the job, pop into a Wickes store and pick up printed
versions. You'll need them on-hand throughout.

Thanks very much. I have a flat roof which is some 25 years old - but done
properly - and although still ok must be coming to the end of its life.
That looks like something I could DIY.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 25, 4:41*pm, "Roger Cain"
wrote:
I have 20sq.m. of 40-year old, north-facing, felted flat roof which is
showing some cracks and there are signs off leakage onto plasterwork below.

Having looked around at repair products available it's clear that there are
many choices and a wide variation in price. I would be grateful if someone
with experience could advise on:

Technology - bitumen, acrylic, rubber
Brands - much the same for a given technology?
Application - coverage per lit how many coats.

Thanks.

Repair liquids are of little value, and as folk have said its likely
rotten through. Well past time for a new roof. Insulate it well this
time, insulation will pay its cost back and more.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have 20sq.m. of 40-year old, north-facing, felted flat roof which is
showing some cracks and there are signs off leakage onto plasterwork below.

Strip, repair wood below, fibreglass.

Fibreglass is straightforward to do, reliable and long lasting. It
can be walked upon, is weather and sun proof to a much larger degree
than any other coating,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have 20sq.m. of 40-year old, north-facing, felted flat roof which is
showing some cracks and there are signs off leakage onto plasterwork
below.

Strip, repair wood below, fibreglass.

Fibreglass is straightforward to do, reliable and long lasting. It
can be walked upon, is weather and sun proof to a much larger degree
than any other coating,

Not than metal decking.

Flat roof repair options Ron Home Repair 52 November 15th 11 12:03 AM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 8th 05 02:22 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM
Flat roof repair Lobster UK diy 1 November 2nd 04 01:49 PM
flat gravel roof - how to repair adiel Home Repair 6 August 21st 03 02:53 PM