Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Security V's Safety

Called at a house last week, bog standard uPVC D/G front door with euro
lock.

Lady came to the door, then had to find the keys. Took her maybe a minute.

If there was a fire I reckon she would have died before she found them.

There has to be a balance between safety & security. Locking a means of
escape seems plain dangerous to me.

We have a euro lock on the porch with a turn button & a Yale on the from
door with a bolt. Not wonderfully secure I suppose, but easy to get out.

Any thoughts on the best compromise?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Called at a house last week, bog standard uPVC D/G front door with
euro lock.

Lady came to the door, then had to find the keys. Took her maybe a
minute.
If there was a fire I reckon she would have died before she found
them.
There has to be a balance between safety & security. Locking a means
of escape seems plain dangerous to me.

We have a euro lock on the porch with a turn button & a Yale on the
from door with a bolt. Not wonderfully secure I suppose, but easy to
get out.
Any thoughts on the best compromise?

Unbeliever will be along soon to abuse you.

I have a key on a hook next to the door (but away from prying eyes and the
letterbox). This is not the key I generally use for the door. It's there for
fire escape.

BTW Did you sell her a smoke detector?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a key on a hook next to the door (but away from prying eyes and the
letterbox). This is not the key I generally use for the door. It's there for
fire escape.

Ditto

We also have a chain but it is the kind with a ring that simply slides
over a long hook and can be removed almost instantly, with no fiddling
around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Called at a house last week, bog standard uPVC D/G front door with
euro lock.

Lady came to the door, then had to find the keys. Took her maybe a
minute.
If there was a fire I reckon she would have died before she found
them.
There has to be a balance between safety & security. Locking a means
of escape seems plain dangerous to me.

We have a euro lock on the porch with a turn button & a Yale on the
from door with a bolt. Not wonderfully secure I suppose, but easy to
get out.
Any thoughts on the best compromise?

Unbeliever will be along soon to abuse you.

Now why would I do that ARW? He does enough of that himself!

Now, as far as I can recall, under current legislation, there should be a
number of UPVc windows in the house on each floor that must open, and open
wide enough to allow the escape of 'trapped' persons - but I wouldn't expect
TMH to be aware of that - he can't have fitted many UPVc windows in his
decks.

BTW, I wonder if he knows that the correct term for UPVc is now PVCu as
decreed by the European parliament in the mid '90s? And I still can't get
used to Polyvinyl Chloride Unplasticised myself.

I have a key on a hook next to the door (but away from prying eyes
and the letterbox). This is not the key I generally use for the door.
It's there for fire escape.

Good idea, do you also have pre-determined 'escape' routes for the family to
follow in the event of a fire, and have to taught them to keep their noses
as close to the floor as possible if they have to escape from a smoke-filled
house? As you are probably aware, smoke is the biggest killer rather than
heat.

BTW Did you sell her a smoke detector?

Will that open a locked door as well as the proper key then?

I couldn't resist your challenge by the way. ROTFLMAO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unbeliever wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

I am aware, that's why I mentioned the detectors. I was also giving TMH a
tip on how to maximize his profit margin.

I have an escape route plan, I do not have a family. I always plan an escape
route when stopping at friends or when stopping in a hotel. Sometimes I plan
them when waiting for a cat be put down at a vetinary practice in an out of
hours visit and then make it known to the owner that their signage is
incorrect.

BTW Did you sell her a smoke detector?

Will that open a locked door as well as the proper key then?

I was going to add something along that lines of "early detection of fire is
better than a key by the door". Dead people cannot use keys.

I couldn't resist your challenge by the way. ROTFLMAO

Made your Sunday evening though:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/22/2012 3:35 PM, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Called at a house last week, bog standard uPVC D/G front door with euro
lock.

Lady came to the door, then had to find the keys. Took her maybe a minute.

If there was a fire I reckon she would have died before she found them.

There has to be a balance between safety & security. Locking a means of
escape seems plain dangerous to me.

We have a euro lock on the porch with a turn button & a Yale on the from
door with a bolt. Not wonderfully secure I suppose, but easy to get out.

Any thoughts on the best compromise?

When we're home, I keep the key in the lock; it's only removed when
we're out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote

Called at a house last week, bog standard uPVC D/G front door with euro
lock.

Lady came to the door, then had to find the keys. Took her maybe a
minute.

If there was a fire I reckon she would have died before she found them.

There has to be a balance between safety & security.

It's a very difficult balance to achieve tho.

If it was easy, we'd have found it by now.

Locking a means of escape seems plain dangerous to me.

Yes, but it does make it harder for a crim to get in,
open the door from the inside and move the entire
contents of that house into the truck he has outside.

We have a euro lock on the porch with a turn button & a Yale on the from
door with a bolt. Not wonderfully secure I suppose, but easy to get out.

And easy for the crim to open from the inside and
move the entire contents of the house into his truck.

Any thoughts on the best compromise?

I don't believe that there is one.

Same with bars on the windows. They do make it MUCH
harder for crims to get into your house, but also can be
one hell of a problem if you have a decent fire, they
make it impossible to get out of the windows too.

Corse one approach is to have a very decent insurance
that provides new for old forever so you don't care if
some crim completely emptys the house, in fact may
well welcome the opportunity to have all new stuff.

I did consider putting a sign on the door when I went
away for a few weeks saying that I would be away for
a few weeks, hoping for a complete looting. Decided
not to put the sign up because the insurance company
might get to hear about it and deny the insurance claim.

Corse some choose not to have insurance,
so even that approach isnt viable for them.

There is no universally best compromise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 21:09:43 +0100, Unbeliever wrote:

BTW, I wonder if he knows that the correct term for UPVc is now PVCu as
decreed by the European parliament in the mid '90s? And I still can't get
used to Polyvinyl Chloride Unplasticised myself.

Same here. "unplasticised" is being used as an adjective and so, in English,
comes before the noun. Bloody foreigners!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2012 22:14, Rod Speed wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote

[...]

Not if you use a BS thief resistant Yale lock with a locking internal
handle.

Corse one approach is to have a very decent insurance
that provides new for old forever so you don't care if
some crim completely emptys the house, in fact may
well welcome the opportunity to have all new stuff....

It is not unknown for a house to be burgled so that it does have all new
stuff, which makes for a much better haul a few weeks later.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

Sure, but its still covered by the insurance so it still just a nuisance.

Lot better than dying because you cant get out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 16:49:35 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

When we're home, I keep the key in the lock; it's only removed when
we're out.

Tried that for a while - but realised neighbour/daughter would not be
able to open the door from the outside if I/we became incapacitated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

When we're home, I keep the key in the lock; it's only removed when
we're out.

Tried that for a while - but realised neighbour/daughter would not be
able to open the door from the outside if I/we became incapacitated.

If its a euro lock you can leave it part inserted and it will work from the
other side.

After fatal fires the emergency services find dead people in two locations..

children in wardrobes where they have hidden
adults behind doors trying to open them.

Put an axe next to the door, you can get out then even if the lock is
broken.
It comes in handy for unwanted visitors too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Called at a house last week, bog standard uPVC D/G front door with euro
lock.

Lady came to the door, then had to find the keys. Took her maybe a minute.

If there was a fire I reckon she would have died before she found them.

There has to be a balance between safety & security. Locking a means of
escape seems plain dangerous to me.

We have a euro lock on the porch with a turn button & a Yale on the from
door with a bolt. Not wonderfully secure I suppose, but easy to get out.

Any thoughts on the best compromise?

I thought about this when I replaced my front door. I wanted something
that was secure when I was out like a mortice lock but could be opened
easily without a key from the inside in the event of a fire. I was also
looking for something like a multi-point lock although I was advised
against them for a wooden door.

The solution that I came up with was to have three keyed-alike euro
cylinder locks. One near the top of the door and one near the bottom of
the door. I use these when I leave the house. Then a third by the door
handle that has a euro lock (with the same key) on the outside but a
thumb-turn on the inside. I can lock that at night. It is still a
mortice lock so satisfies the insurers.

As a belt and braces approach I lock all three when going away on holiday.

Seems to work well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 9:49*pm, S Viemeister wrote:
When we're home, I keep the key in the lock; it's only removed when
we're out.

Check if your insurance policy...
a) offers a lock discount (eg, 5%) - because it may mandate "keys be
removed from locks before retiring to bed"
b) requires in general "keys be removed from locks at all times for
insurance to be in effect"
c) requires forced entry re keys stolen from nearby table via
letterbox
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
[...]

thus ensuring the thieves will jemmy open, or break a window..

I mean how many thieves pick locks? really?

Seems to work well.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thus ensuring the thieves will jemmy open, or break a window..

I mean how many thieves pick locks? really?

Seems to work well.

Look up 'bumping' and 'snapping'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 12:17:38 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
[...]

I understand that they "bump" locks nowadays. I like Andrew's approach
because I believe it's going to be jolly difficult to "bump" the top
and bottom ones and take much more time than a prospective burglar
would like to take, hanging around in full view.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:

thus ensuring the thieves will jemmy open, or break a window..

I mean how many thieves pick locks? really?

Seems to work well.

Look up 'bumping' and 'snapping'

bit too sophisticated for our local tea leaves.

So dont use a cylinder lock.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

When we're home, I keep the key in the lock; it's only removed when
we're out.

Tried that for a while - but realised neighbour/daughter would not be
able to open the door from the outside if I/we became incapacitated.

If the key is correctly aligned (straight up-and-down) I've found that
it is possible to unlock from outside - but not if the key is at all angled.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/23/2012 6:59 AM, js.b1 wrote:
On Apr 22, 9:49 pm, S wrote:
When we're home, I keep the key in the lock; it's only removed when
we're out.

Check if your insurance policy...
a) offers a lock discount (eg, 5%) - because it may mandate "keys be
removed from locks before retiring to bed"
b) requires in general "keys be removed from locks at all times for
insurance to be in effect"
c) requires forced entry re keys stolen from nearby table via
letterbox

The keys are removed and the doors locked, when the house is empty.
When at home, I am more concerned with being able to easily exit in
smoke-filled conditions; most burglaries are of unoccupied premises.
Loss of property is less important to me, than is loss of life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/23/2012 4:36 AM, Nightjar wrote:

It is not unknown for a house to be burgled so that it does have all new
stuff, which makes for a much better haul a few weeks later.

That happened to my in-laws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Called at a house last week, bog standard uPVC D/G front door with euro
lock.

Lady came to the door, then had to find the keys. Took her maybe a minute.

If there was a fire I reckon she would have died before she found them.

There has to be a balance between safety & security. Locking a means of
escape seems plain dangerous to me.

We have a euro lock on the porch with a turn button & a Yale on the from
door with a bolt. Not wonderfully secure I suppose, but easy to get out.

Any thoughts on the best compromise?

Dead locking latch in centre, mortice with turn button above, mortice
keyed both sides at bottom. All on same key. Just use the latch when at
home, lock the top from outside when going out, lock both top and bottom
if away all day, dead lock the latch as well if going on holiday.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 8:35*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
Called at a house last week, bog standard uPVC D/G front door with euro
lock.

Lady came to the door, then had to find the keys. *Took her maybe a minute.

If there was a fire I reckon she would have died before she found them.

There has to be a balance between safety & security. Locking a means of
escape seems plain dangerous to me.

Maybe it's something to do with the likeihood of an event happening.

When I look my door (and I'm in) I leave the key in the same place not
in view of any window.
As for plan nof escape will I have a back door, which I don;t need a
key to open from the inside,
then there's windows although I'm on the 1st floor.

When leaving one morning I left my key on the inside and shut the door
I couldn;t get back in.
But I did managed to get a twig through the letter box enabling me to
use it to hook the key out of the lock and on to the floor.
If' I had a magnet or blu-tak I could have retrived my key, but I'd
already collected my spare, so had that to hand.
For that reason I don;t thinki it;'s a good idea to leave a key in the
door if there's any chance of getting it.

I don;t think there's been a fire in my road in the kast 10 years but
buglaries.....seem more frequant.

We have a euro lock on the porch with a turn button & a Yale on the from
door with a bolt. *Not wonderfully secure I suppose, but easy to get out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 9:09*pm, "Unbeliever" wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

It seems odd to claim that would make it the one and only correct
term.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2012 15:30, NT wrote:
On Apr 22, 9:09 pm, wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the type of dictat that comes out of France ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2012 21:09, Unbeliever wrote:
Now, as far as I can recall, under current legislation, there should be a
number of UPVc windows in the house on each floor that must open, and open
wide enough to allow the escape of 'trapped' persons...

What if I don't want uPVC windows?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 22/04/2012 21:09, Unbeliever wrote:
Now, as far as I can recall, under current legislation, there
should be a number of UPVc windows in the house on each floor that
must open, and open wide enough to allow the escape of 'trapped'
persons...

What if I don't want uPVC windows?

Unbeliever will sell you some UPVc ones?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote
Geo wrote
S Viemeister wrote

When we're home, I keep the key in the lock; it's only removed when
we're out.

Tried that for a while - but realised neighbour/daughter would not be
able to open the door from the outside if I/we became incapacitated.

If the key is correctly aligned (straight up-and-down) I've found that it
is possible to unlock from outside - but not if the key is at all angled.

So that approach isnt really practical.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote
js.b1 wrote
S wrote

When we're home, I keep the key in the lock;
it's only removed when we're out.

Check if your insurance policy...
a) offers a lock discount (eg, 5%) - because it may mandate
"keys be removed from locks before retiring to bed"
b) requires in general "keys be removed from locks
at all times for insurance to be in effect"
c) requires forced entry re keys stolen from nearby table via letterbox

The keys are removed and the doors locked, when the house is empty.
When at home, I am more concerned with being able to easily exit in
smoke-filled conditions; most burglaries are of unoccupied premises.
Loss of property is less important to me, than is loss of life.

But it wouldn't be great if you did get robbed when at home
and the insurance made an obscene gesture in your general
direction when you tried to make an insurance claim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote
The Medway Handyman wrote

Called at a house last week, bog standard uPVC D/G front door with euro
lock.

Lady came to the door, then had to find the keys. Took her maybe a
minute.

If there was a fire I reckon she would have died before she found them.

There has to be a balance between safety & security.
Locking a means of escape seems plain dangerous to me.

We have a euro lock on the porch with a turn button & a Yale on the from
door with a bolt. Not wonderfully secure I suppose, but easy to get out.

Any thoughts on the best compromise?

Dead locking latch in centre, mortice with turn button above, mortice
keyed both sides at bottom. All on same key. Just use the latch when
at home, lock the top from outside when going out, lock both top and
bottom if away all day, dead lock the latch as well if going on holiday.

And see the crim just break a window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
The Medway Handyman wrote

Called at a house last week, bog standard uPVC D/G front door with euro
lock.

Lady came to the door, then had to find the keys. Took her maybe a
minute.

If there was a fire I reckon she would have died before she found them.

There has to be a balance between safety & security. Locking a means of
escape seems plain dangerous to me.

Maybe it's something to do with the likeihood of an event happening.

It should also be about the result if either does occur.

When I look my door (and I'm in) I leave the key
in the same place not in view of any window.

As for plan nof escape will I have a back door,
which I don;t need a key to open from the inside,

In which case there isnt much point in anything better on the front door.

then there's windows although I'm on the 1st floor.

When leaving one morning I left my key on the
inside and shut the door I couldn;t get back in.

But I did managed to get a twig through the letter box enabling
me to use it to hook the key out of the lock and on to the floor.
If' I had a magnet or blu-tak I could have retrived my key, but I'd
already collected my spare, so had that to hand.
For that reason I don;t thinki it;'s a good idea to leave a key in the
door if there's any chance of getting it.

I don;t think there's been a fire in my road in the kast 10 years but
buglaries.....seem more frequant.

Problem is that the fire can kill you, burglarys usually don't.

We have a euro lock on the porch with a turn button & a Yale on the from
door with a bolt. Not wonderfully secure I suppose, but easy to get out.

Any thoughts on the best compromise?

I did once think about always having a key on a chain
around my neck. But didn;t really want to sleep with it.

In the furture they'll be unlock apps on mobiles ;-)

You can do that now if you want to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 22/04/2012 21:09, Unbeliever wrote:
Now, as far as I can recall, under current legislation, there should be a
number of UPVc windows in the house on each floor that must open, and
open
wide enough to allow the escape of 'trapped' persons...

What if I don't want uPVC windows?

you burn to death of course.
Only UPVC windows can be made to open!

(I bet someone thinks I really meant that)

Colin Bignell

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

When we're home, I keep the key in the lock; it's only removed when
we're out.

Tried that for a while - but realised neighbour/daughter would not be
able to open the door from the outside if I/we became incapacitated.

If the key is correctly aligned (straight up-and-down) I've found that
it is possible to unlock from outside - but not if the key is at all
angled.

Some cylinder locks are designed so that they can always be opened from
the outside, even if there is a key on the inside.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:51:40 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

What if I don't want uPVC windows?

Unbeliever will sell you some UPVc ones?

That'd be Unbelievably Plonkish Virtual craphead?