Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboard problem

Hi all,

I bought a house last December where there is plasterboard internally on
the external walls. (the internal walls have plastering on them).

The house was built 25 years ago and whoever fitted the plasterboards
did not fix the edges very well or put in scrim tape. There is cracks in
the skim where the plasterboard sheet edges meet up.

This means that when you place your hand on either side of the skin
crack lines, the plasterboard can be made to flex a bit.

I got talking to a surveyor and he has suggested that rather than take
all the plasterboard off and installing new plasterboard, fitting scrim
tape and re-skimming, I should drill a series of holes along the crack
line, inject expanding foam and then fill the holes and the crackline in
with polyfiller. He claims that this will stabilise the two plasterboard
sheets and prevent reappearance of the crack lines.

What do the panel think?

Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen H
writes
Hi all,
I got talking to a surveyor and he has suggested that rather than take
all the plasterboard off and installing new plasterboard, fitting scrim
tape and re-skimming, I should drill a series of holes along the crack
line, inject expanding foam and then fill the holes and the crackline
in with polyfiller. He claims that this will stabilise the two
plasterboard sheets and prevent reappearance of the crack lines.

What do the panel think?

Stephen.

I'm sure that others will come along who have had experience of this,
but my thoughts would be to find a low expansion foam and don't use too
much of it. There have been a few horror stories of expanding foam
continuing to expand and causing damage, It could be embarrassing if it
pushed your board off the wall. I recall a photo of a canoe something
along the lines of they used it to fill a buoyancy void and it split it
apart.

If no one says it is a really stupid idea though, I will put it on my
list of useful work around's.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
wrote

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html#foam
--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Bill
wrote

I recall a photo of a canoe something along the lines of they used it to
fill a buoyancy void and it split it apart.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html#foam

Brilliant, just brilliant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 01:07:45 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Bill
wrote

I recall a photo of a canoe something along the lines of they used it
fill a buoyancy void and it split it apart.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html#foam

Brilliant, just brilliant

ahh the old ones are always the best (until they go senile)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2012 08:05, Jim K wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 01:07:45 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Bill
wrote

I recall a photo of a canoe something along the lines of they used
it to
fill a buoyancy void and it split it apart.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html#foam

Brilliant, just brilliant

ahh the old ones are always the best (until they go senile)

Jim K

I recall a class mate (he may have been doing A-Level CDT I think)
making a sit-on canoe at school - probably around 1994-1996 time. He'd
stuck blocks of celotex (or similar) foam together, carved it into a
canoe shape, with a recess on top to sit in. His plan was to use 2-part
expanding foam to cast a precise moulding of his backside. I can't
recall whether he'd coated it in fibreglass at this point.

To get the moulding, I recall him using something like a bin liner or
black sheeting to sit on, and then got someone to pour in this 2-part
mix under the sheet into the recess.

I recall the tears welling up in his eyes, and his moans as he then
realised that the chemical reaction was very exothermic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/12 00:02, Bill wrote:
In message , Stephen H
writes
Hi all,
[...]

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/...IP%20DRY%20FIX
pink dryfix and gun,
it does expand a bit, so use a little of it or it'll push the boards out,
the yellow foam expands much too much.

I use it for all sorts of bodge jobs!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...bnsDY-RST4YT4w

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2012 23:13, Stephen H wrote:
[...]

I recently injected about 10 cans of expanding foam through plasterboard
into a flimsy partitiion wall to make it more sturdy, and stop the
microbore pipes inside it rattling around. It seems to have worked.

I used standard expanding foam, but I only injected one can at a time,
and waited at least an hour for each injection to stop expanding before
the next injection. IIRC, a 750ml can of Screwfix No-Nonsense foam will
expand to about 35 litres before setting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 16, 4:46*am, RustyCrampon wrote:
[...]

expand to about 35 litres before setting.- Hide quoted text -

You need to be a bit careful. The aerosol can stuff relies on
atmospheric moisture to make it go off. You can squirt a bit of water
in the holes but not too much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 16, 8:04*am, harry wrote:
[...]

in the holes but not too much.- Hide quoted text -

Indeed. Large volumes of foam squirted at once tend to result in
horribly sticky voids within, that don't go off.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I think it could or would work brilliantly, but only if you got exactly
the right amount of foam in there - would be hard to estimate how much
you need and there would be a high probability of ending up with bulging
walls instead.

If you go ahead, keep the injected amounts really small and give it
plenty of time to cure; eg maybe drill a series of holes three feet(?)
apart along the cracks, inject those, and then later on repeat the
process with a second set of holes drilled in the gaps between the first
set.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen H" wrote in message
news
[...]

This anygood for you ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_NnJpaqsYI

Jim G

Plasterboard norm UK diy 6 January 17th 06 10:24 AM
plasterboard Mike UK diy 1 October 10th 05 02:44 AM
Plasterboard bronkone7 UK diy 12 July 31st 05 11:04 PM
Plasterboard bronkone7 UK diy 3 July 26th 05 09:40 AM
Where to buy plasterboard? Bob Eager UK diy 11 December 13th 03 12:02 AM