Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower tray

I'm about to install a 900mm quadrant stone resin shower tray on top
of first floor floorboards. I have an "easy plumb" kit comprising four
adjustable legs, and a plastic skirt. Would the panel use the legs, or
is it better to build a solid frame from timber and rest it on that?

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
I'm about to install a 900mm quadrant stone resin shower tray on top
of first floor floorboards. I have an "easy plumb" kit comprising four
adjustable legs, and a plastic skirt. Would the panel use the legs, or
is it better to build a solid frame from timber and rest it on that?

Cheers
Richard

normally you bed the whole thing on a sand and cement base to prevent
flexing and leaks.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
geraldthehamster wrote:
I'm about to install a 900mm quadrant stone resin shower tray on top
of first floor floorboards. I have an "easy plumb" kit comprising four
adjustable legs, and a plastic skirt. Would the panel use the legs, or
is it better to build a solid frame from timber and rest it on that?
Cheers
Richard

normally you bed the whole thing on a sand and cement base to prevent
flexing and leaks.

I've just been called down again to daughter's house where there is an
ongoing shower problem that today has cascaded water through the ceiling
below.
As far as we can tell the drain pipework has come apart under the very
unsatisfactory tiled floor, so they are almost certainly going to have
to rip it all out and fit a proper shower tray. The shower is, as per
the OP, on the first floor and we think the existing arrangement is a
sheet of ply over the with a hole for the water to drain via a pipe
between the joists.
They will probably be getting someone to fit the tray so, assuming the
drainage system can be made good and used, what exactly should be put on
the joists? A new sheet of ply, then a "box" to hold a sand and cement
concoction to take the shape of the tray?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
[...]

Definitely ply screwed down hard with a hole for the drain..and solvent
weld wherever you can.

in my case the tray WAS the box,,,i.e line it all up testing in the ply
and then lift, shove the muck down and tamp the tray down; remove and
adust quantities until its perfect.

Then make sure the drain is connected up and leave it and have break
for a day. Then seal anything with silicone, and when that's set build
an enclosure around it.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:36:51 +0100, geraldthehamster
wrote:

I'm about to install a 900mm quadrant stone resin shower tray on top
of first floor floorboards. I have an "easy plumb" kit comprising four
adjustable legs, and a plastic skirt. Would the panel use the legs, or
is it better to build a solid frame from timber and rest it on that?

Cheers
Richard

Bed it on something solid. My tray kept leaking and in the end I had to
resort to Teleseal 10 which has sorted the problem for 18 months so far.
Part of my problem though was that the floor is just not rigid enough for
the spot weights of the legs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm about to install a 900mm quadrant stone resin shower tray on top
of first floor floorboards. I have an "easy plumb" kit comprising four
adjustable legs, and a plastic skirt. Would the panel use the legs, or
is it better to build a solid frame from timber and rest it on that?

Cheers
Richard

Bed it on something solid. My tray kept leaking and in the end I had to
resort to Teleseal 10 which has sorted the problem for 18 months so far.
Part of my problem though was that the floor is just not rigid enough for
the spot weights of the legs.

Thanks Bill. I'd be grateful to know if anyone else has actually
fitted a raised stone resin tray on a timber first floor, and what you
did.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2012 23:33, geraldthehamster wrote:

wrote:
I'm about to install a 900mm quadrant stone resin shower tray on top
of first floor floorboards. I have an "easy plumb" kit comprising four
adjustable legs, and a plastic skirt. Would the panel use the legs, or
is it better to build a solid frame from timber and rest it on that?

Bed it on something solid. My tray kept leaking and in the end I had to
resort to Teleseal 10 which has sorted the problem for 18 months so far.
Part of my problem though was that the floor is just not rigid enough for
the spot weights of the legs.

Thanks Bill. I'd be grateful to know if anyone else has actually
fitted a raised stone resin tray on a timber first floor, and what you
did.

What sort is yours? I fitted a Coram one here about a year ago
http://www.coram.co.uk/showertrays-riser.html and it was/is excellent -
it has a rigid but very lightweight base and was a doddle to fit
compared with a conventional stone-resin one I fitted before, using the
mortar bedding method.

It sits on floorboards, but presumably they are thick enough, and the
joists close enough together, to prevent any flexing problems. Had that
been an issue I'd planned on laying a sheet of 3/4" ply over the
floorboards first.

Certainly there's no hint of movement in the tray now; it feels just as
rigid and solid as our other shower tray (the 'traditional' heavy stone
resin one)

hth
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

the sand and cement really stiffens up a tray as long as its iomn a
solid base - 3/4 ply is definitely the material to use - no messing
about with anything less.

hth
David

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*wrote:
[...]

and how hard it is to achieve it.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, and to everyone else. I think I ended up with the feet because
I didn't have the conversation with the merchant about whether I was
installing on a solid or a wooden floor. I've only door one shower
before, and that was downstairs on concrete. I'll need to do some
farting about with ply and a raised frame, then sand/cement, I think,
as for various reasons the waste needs to remain above floor level.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm about to install a 900mm quadrant stone resin shower tray on top
of first floor floorboards. I have an "easy plumb" kit comprising four
adjustable legs, and a plastic skirt. Would the panel use the legs, or
is it better to build a solid frame from timber and rest it on that?
Cheers
Richard

Bed it on something solid. My tray kept leaking and in the end I had to
resort to Teleseal 10 which has sorted the problem for 18 months so far.
Part of my problem though was that the floor is just not rigid enough for
the spot weights of the legs.

Thanks Bill. I'd be grateful to know if anyone else has actually
fitted a raised stone resin tray on a timber first floor, and what you
did.

Yes I have. In my case I had to set it up 4" so I built a plinth from
ply, tested the whole drain system by dry fitting, then sand and cement.

The enclosure was to say the least odd..

Hang on I can post a photo...

http://vps.templar.co.uk/index.php?a...s%20and%20Ends

see if that helps.

Cheers
Richard

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
geraldthehamster writes

wrote:
I'm about to install a 900mm quadrant stone resin shower tray on top
of first floor floorboards. I have an "easy plumb" kit comprising four
adjustable legs, and a plastic skirt. Would the panel use the legs, or
is it better to build a solid frame from timber and rest it on that?

Cheers
Richard

Bed it on something solid. My tray kept leaking and in the end I had to
resort to Teleseal 10 which has sorted the problem for 18 months so far.
Part of my problem though was that the floor is just not rigid enough for
the spot weights of the legs.

Thanks Bill. I'd be grateful to know if anyone else has actually
fitted a raised stone resin tray on a timber first floor, and what you
did.

Yup, in my old house.

18mm ply supported on 4x2's, bedded onto mortar. doesn't need to be a
thick layer, you are just wanting something to support the base and
avoid voids.

Main thing is to try and lower the tray vertically down onto the mortar.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2012 14:26, chris French wrote:
In message
,
geraldthehamster writes

wrote:
[...]

Yes, the Cunning Trick there (as always, gleaned from this newsgroup) is
to lay down your one-inch thich mortar bed, and then embed 2 or 3
one-inch battens in it running from back to front. You can then drop
down the (heavy) shower tray on to that with impunity, and when you're
happy with the positioning, just slide out the battens leaving the
shower tray perfectly supported.

Works particularly brilliantly when you're fitting the tray into an
alcove, and dropping it down perfectly vertically on to the mortar is
pretty-well impossible, without use of a small crane and/or gaining a
hernia. With the battens you can just slide the thing in, or lay it
down on an angle.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

No point in taking the battens out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
I'm about to install a 900mm quadrant stone resin shower tray on top
of first floor floorboards. I have an "easy plumb" kit comprising four
adjustable legs, and a plastic skirt. Would the panel use the legs, or
is it better to build a solid frame from timber and rest it on that?

Bin the legs along with the frame idea - it needs to go on something solid.
Normal practice is to lay thermalite blocks on strong sand/cement, with a
bed of same on top to get the level you require

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
I'm about to install a 900mm quadrant stone resin shower tray on top
of first floor floorboards. I have an "easy plumb" kit comprising four
adjustable legs, and a plastic skirt. Would the panel use the legs, or
is it better to build a solid frame from timber and rest it on that?

One thing to add to the previous advice.
To get around the flexibility of the floor, you could always lay some 18mm
ply above the floorboards, screwed to the boards, then use your legs and
skirt kit above that.
Whatever, it seems sensible to leave some access to the trap etc. which does
not involve tearing up floor or tiles.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 13, 8:18*am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"geraldthehamster" wrote in message

I'm about to install a 900mm quadrant stone resin shower tray on top
of first floor floorboards. I have an "easy plumb" kit comprising four
adjustable legs, and a plastic skirt. Would the panel use the legs, or
is it better to build a solid frame from timber and rest it on that?

One thing to add to the previous advice.
To get around the flexibility of the floor, you could always lay some 18mm
ply above the floorboards, screwed to the boards, then use your legs and
skirt kit above that.
Whatever, it seems sensible to leave some access to the trap etc. which does
not involve tearing up floor or tiles.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Is the aim to avoid movement that could break the seal with the wall,
or to provide continuous support to the tray, or both? Your
(excellent) suggestion would deal with the former, but not the latter.

I've also seen this done in reverse, in that my local factor's
brochure shows a (no doubt overpriced) kit comprising four legs, a
shaped bit of plywood to sit *over* them, and a small bag of sand and
cement to screed on top of the plywood...

Cheers
Richard

Shower room / shower tray refurb Adrian UK diy 12 January 25th 09 10:45 PM
Shower tray / shower trap Adrian UK diy 12 October 8th 08 09:55 AM
shower tray gap kent UK diy 6 September 29th 07 06:51 PM
Shower tray to fit wounded horse UK diy 3 January 24th 05 11:01 PM
Shower Tray Help jon UK diy 8 January 23rd 04 03:54 AM