Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to raise the ceilings in a kitchen ...

Owain wrote:

On Mar 29, 7:02 pm, Martin Pentreath wrote:
http://alturl.com/hoj27

That £500 on a home report was money well spent, then.

Owain

Well, yes...

But it claims the buyers own survey says "floor not reinforced".

The weird thing is

a) The concrete slab looks very thin - 3-4"

b) If there is such a void under the floor, even a 4" reinforced slab
wouldn't have stayed there long. I'm not sure how a 4' deep void could have
"suddenly" appreared, so I assume the floor was designed to span it.

So I'm wondering what we cannot see in the pictures - was there a concrete
beam or 3 that failed? Some brick pillars? It all looks very odd as the only
type of concrete floor that could withstand spanning a void of that size
that I've personally come across would be a beam and block - and they don't
usually fail - at least not all at once.

Which makes me suspect the original design was badly bodged - but I still
cannot see how exactly.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

b) If there is such a void under the floor, even a 4" reinforced slab
wouldn't have stayed there long. I'm not sure how a 4' deep void could
have
"suddenly" appreared,

Water leaks can cause voids like that.