Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hard drive mountings

Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are held
in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in and out.
It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips and don't
allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem is there is no
manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I can buy more clips.
Any ideas?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/12 12:19, Muddymike wrote:
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are
held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in
and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips
and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem
is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I
can buy more clips. Any ideas?

In the past I've taken an existing clip along with me to a computer
faire and looked for others like it. There is no standard design so
mail-order is unlikely to get what you want, unless you can find the
manufacturer. Is there any text embossed on the clips?

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/12 12:19, Muddymike wrote:
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are
held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in
and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips
and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem
is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I
can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Mike

Look on Ebay for Dell green mountings.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/12 12:19, Muddymike wrote:
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are
held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in
and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips
and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem
is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I
can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Mike

Look on Ebay for Dell green mountings.

Andy C

I have looked at the Dell ones and they are not the same, Dell's use screws
mine don't.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 2, 1:21*pm, "Muddymike" wrote:
On 02/04/12 12:19, Muddymike wrote:

Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are
held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in
and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips
and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem
is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I
can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Mike

Look on Ebay for Dell green mountings.

Andy C

I have looked at the Dell ones and they are not the same, Dell's use screws
mine don't.

Mike

Whats wrong with cable ties, iron wire, copper wire etc etc

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote
Muddymike wrote
On 02/04/12 12:19, Muddymike wrote

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives
are held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be
easily slid in and out. It has spare bays but they are all
designed to take these clips and don't allow for a drive to be
mounted in the normal way. My problem is there is no manufacturers
name on the case and I can't find where I can buy more clips. Any
ideas?

Look on Ebay for Dell green mountings.

I have looked at the Dell ones and they are not the same, Dell's use
screws mine don't.

Whats wrong with cable ties, iron wire, copper wire etc etc

Nowhere near as convenient if you can find some more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 2, 10:20*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
NT wrote

Muddymike wrote
On 02/04/12 12:19, Muddymike wrote
I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives
are held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be
easily slid in and out. It has spare bays but they are all
designed to take these clips and don't allow for a drive to be
mounted in the normal way. My problem is there is no manufacturers
name on the case and I can't find where I can buy more clips. Any
ideas?
Look on Ebay for Dell green mountings.
I have looked at the Dell ones and they are not the same, Dell's use
screws mine don't.

Whats wrong with cable ties, iron wire, copper wire etc etc

Nowhere near as convenient if you can find some more.

Convenience is the point. It takes a couple of mins to fit it using
whatever tie is to hand, and a couple of days to track down original
clips

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 07:50:10 -0700, NT wrote:
Whats wrong with cable ties, iron wire, copper wire etc etc

Or powerful magnets, such as those found inside hard drives which have
been rendered useless by powerful magnets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2012 12:19, Muddymike wrote:
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are
held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in
and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips
and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem
is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I
can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Presumably, there are no spares clipped into an obscure part of the
inside of the case? A picture of the clips might help.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2012 12:19, Muddymike wrote:
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are
held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in
and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips
and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem
is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I
can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Acer desktop machines use these as well...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 02/04/2012 12:19, Muddymike wrote:
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are
held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in
and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips
and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem
is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I
can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Acer desktop machines use these as well...

Wonders about how to make a 3D photocopier

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2012 14:16, John Williamson wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 02/04/2012 12:19, Muddymike wrote:
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are
held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in
and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips
and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem
is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I
can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Acer desktop machines use these as well...

Wonders about how to make a 3D photocopier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7h09dTVkdw

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 02/04/2012 12:19, Muddymike wrote:
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are
held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in
and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips
and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem
is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I
can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Acer desktop machines use these as well...

Wonders about how to make a 3D photocopier

Probably worth mentioning that their mini tower cases have loads of
spare drive bays in them, and they all come equipped with clips, so if
they fit and you can find someone with one, they have plenty to spare
even if they don't know it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/04/2012 12:19, Muddymike wrote:
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are
held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in
and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips
and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem
is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I
can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Acer desktop machines use these as well...

So do some older HPs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 02/04/2012 12:19, Muddymike wrote:
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives
are held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be
easily slid in and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed
to take these clips and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in
the normal way. My problem is there is no manufacturers name on the
case and I can't find where I can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Acer desktop machines use these as well...

As do Fujitsu Siemens ..

A picture of the actual clip might help ...

--
Paul - xxx
Mark cavendish Danny Hart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 02/04/2012 12:19, Muddymike wrote:
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives
are held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily
slid in and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take
these clips and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal
way. My problem is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I
can't find where I can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Acer desktop machines use these as well...

And so do plenty of cases now too.

Mine is a Cooler Master and comes with a full set for all drive bays.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are
held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in
and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips
and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem is
there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I can
buy more clips. Any ideas?

Mike

You could try looking at what motherboard is fitted. You might then be able
to match this to a manufacturer, unless you know your box really was a
generic "small supplier".

Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are
held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in
and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips
and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem
is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I
can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Mike

You could try looking at what motherboard is fitted. You might then be
able to match this to a manufacturer, unless you know your box really was a
generic "small supplier".

Paul DS.

It is a bit of a hybrid, my son built it for me out of a load of components
he had lying around, its quite a fast machine that I use for editing video
and recording and playing back films etc. on the television. I now have a
spare 500gb hard drive I would like to add to it.

The links below will take you to a couple of pictures of the clips.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/HD%20Clip%201.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/HD%20Clip%202.JPG

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote
Muddymike wrote

[...]

Why not ask your son for some more of the clips he used or where he got them ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote
Muddymike wrote

[...]

I have, apparently the case, complete with what few clips I have came from a
skip...

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Muddymike
writes
"Muddymike" wrote in message
[...]

If you're stuck, it looks like an ideal candidate for a lolly stick
based copy, 2 stuck together for the runners with the outer extending
outwards to make the springy bit. Hard drive screws, co-bored into the
outer stick instead of pins.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2012 18:54, Muddymike wrote:
It is a bit of a hybrid, my son built it for me out of a load of
components he had lying around, its quite a fast machine that I use for
editing video and recording and playing back films etc. on the
television. I now have a spare 500gb hard drive I would like to add to it.

The links below will take you to a couple of pictures of the clips.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/HD%20Clip%201.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/HD%20Clip%202.JPG

Mike

The colour looks like something you would find in a case intended for
gamers. How about pictures of the front and rear of the case?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2012 18:54, Muddymike wrote:
It is a bit of a hybrid, my son built it for me out of a load of
components he had lying around, its quite a fast machine that I use for
editing video and recording and playing back films etc. on the
television. I now have a spare 500gb hard drive I would like to add to
it.

The links below will take you to a couple of pictures of the clips.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/HD%20Clip%201.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/HD%20Clip%202.JPG

Mike

The colour looks like something you would find in a case intended for
gamers. How about pictures of the front and rear of the case?

Colin Bignell

Here is a picture of the front of the case.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/PC%20case.jpg

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 20:02:07 +0100, Muddymike wrote:
Here is a picture of the front of the case.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/PC%20case.jpg

That's what KITT was turned into when the '80s ended. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2012 20:02, Muddymike wrote:
On 02/04/2012 18:54, Muddymike wrote:
It is a bit of a hybrid, my son built it for me out of a load of
components he had lying around, its quite a fast machine that I use for
editing video and recording and playing back films etc. on the
television. I now have a spare 500gb hard drive I would like to add
to it.

The links below will take you to a couple of pictures of the clips.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/HD%20Clip%201.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/HD%20Clip%202.JPG

Mike

The colour looks like something you would find in a case intended for
gamers. How about pictures of the front and rear of the case?

Colin Bignell

Here is a picture of the front of the case.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/PC%20case.jpg

The red lights and stripes still make me think gaming case.
Unfortunately, not one I recognise.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 20:02:07 +0100, "Muddymike"
wrote:

On 02/04/2012 18:54, Muddymike wrote:
It is a bit of a hybrid, my son built it for me out of a load of
components he had lying around, its quite a fast machine that I use for
editing video and recording and playing back films etc. on the
television. I now have a spare 500gb hard drive I would like to add to
it.

The links below will take you to a couple of pictures of the clips.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/HD%20Clip%201.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/HD%20Clip%202.JPG

Mike

The colour looks like something you would find in a case intended for
gamers. How about pictures of the front and rear of the case?

Colin Bignell

Here is a picture of the front of the case.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/PC%20case.jpg

Mike

Look like these on the 'bay,

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/11079...bar&adtype=pla

hope that helps
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 18:54:25 +0100, "Muddymike"
wrote:

The links below will take you to a couple of pictures of the clips.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/HD%20Clip%201.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49024805/HD%20Clip%202.JPG

I'd bet if you took a wander down to a small decent PC repairer, he'd
find something in the bits bin that will fit - even if not hideous
green plastic, but a metal stamping that might screw into the sides of
the HDD. They look really familiar, in a 'that'll do it' kind of way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives
are held in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily
slid in and out. It has spare bays but they are all designed to take
these clips and don't allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal
way. My problem is there is no manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I can buy more clips. Any ideas?

Many of the clip systems do allow you to use the older style screws as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, April 2, 2012 12:19:43 PM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
Hi Folks

I need to fit a hard drive into one of my PCs. The existing drives are held
in by green plastic clips that allow the drive to be easily slid in and out.
It has spare bays but they are all designed to take these clips and don't
allow for a drive to be mounted in the normal way. My problem is there is no
manufacturers name on the case and I can't find where I can buy more clips.
Any ideas?

Mike

Hi Mike

I have some drive rails here, not sure if they are the same size as the ones you are looking for. Overall length is approx 155mm, width approx 12mm and they are approx 5mm thick.

There is a picture here http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5baauo&s=5

Let me know if these are any good.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Having spent a few days away on business and a full week away on holiday I
am now back to sorting this computer drive issue.

Your clips look pretty good Nick, can I buy a pair from you, or can you give
me a makers name or part number?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:18:08 AM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
[...]

No problem Mike, have a look in your E-Mail inbox :-)

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks for the kind offer Nick SAE will go in the post later today.

Mike

Mountings on an outside wall GMM UK diy 11 September 15th 08 05:01 PM
hard drive magnets davao UK diy 28 January 24th 07 01:39 PM
Hard Drive Diagnostics mobile Electronics Repair 3 November 21st 06 05:38 PM
hard drive test mobile Electronics Repair 14 May 26th 06 09:46 PM
Sony VAIO PCG-K25 Notebook PC (2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, DVD+/-RW Drive) Laptopmania Electronics 0 December 5th 04 03:43 PM