Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O T - Computer Request

A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power supply.
What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them in.

Can anyone help ?

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:45:14 +0100, "the_constructor"
wrote:

A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power supply.
What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them in.

Can anyone help ?

Um - yes but you would need to collect from West Lothian.
( I have a full sized AT tower with 5 x 5 1/4" front bays plus
internals - all in aluminium. Can't bear to put in on the tip)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power supply.
What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them in.

Can anyone help ?

Um - yes but you would need to collect from West Lothian.
( I have a full sized AT tower with 5 x 5 1/4" front bays plus
internals - all in aluminium. Can't bear to put in on the tip)

Are you will for me to send a courier to collect George ?
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:57:30 +0100, "the_constructor"
wrote:

Are you will for me to send a courier to collect George ?

Replied by email.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power
supply. What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them
in.

Can anyone help ?

You anywhere near Doncaster? I've currently got one sitting outside
ready for me to take to the recycling place .. School goes through them
like water ... some kids gone through all the ports and probably
elsewhere, with a biro and screwed stuff up but you can have it with
pleasure.

--
Paul - xxx
Mark cavendish Danny Hart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2012 08:45, the_constructor wrote:
A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power supply.
What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them in.

Can anyone help ?

If you put where you are in the world and what radius you are willing to
travel to collect might be a better idea.
;¬)

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
On 29/03/2012 08:45, the_constructor wrote:
A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power supply.
What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them in.

Can anyone help ?

If you put where you are in the world and what radius you are willing to
travel to collect might be a better idea.
;¬)

Pete

Don't you always find that you have missed something most obvious when you
are writing something off the cuff. I do and many thanks for pointing it
out.
I live in STANLEY County Durham. DH9
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
On 29/03/2012 08:45, the_constructor wrote:
A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power
supply. What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them in.

Can anyone help ?

If you put where you are in the world and what radius you are willing to
travel to collect might be a better idea.
;�)

Pete

Don't you always find that you have missed something most obvious when you
are writing something off the cuff. I do and many thanks for pointing it
out.
I live in STANLEY County Durham. DH9
Jim G

Apart from freecycle as others mentioned, can you nip down the tip and have
one away (there's always a few in the electrical pile at my local, very
small tip).

The the council bloke/contractor is a jobsworth, offer to "buy" it for a
fiver.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
the_constructor wrote:
A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power
supply. What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them in.

Can anyone help ?

Do you have a local Freecycle group? Such things come up here often. It
also means they're in your area.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
the_constructor wrote:
A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power
supply. What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them in.

Can anyone help ?

Do you have a local Freecycle group? Such things come up here often. It
also means they're in your area.

Hi Dave, Many thanks for your suggestion.
I run 3 recycle groups and have asked many times but to no avail.
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.
I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power
supply. What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them in.
Can anyone help ?

Do you have a local Freecycle group? Such things come up here often. It
also means they're in your area.

Hi Dave, Many thanks for your suggestion.
I run 3 recycle groups and have asked many times but to no avail.
Jim G

I have a couple of old cases somewhere - west suffolk - if you can collect.

both are large and one is rackmount.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2012 08:45, the_constructor wrote:

A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

Just to clarify, are you after a proper AT format case (i.e. one without
the ATX knockout, a hard switched power supply, and a big round cutout
for the 5 pin DIN keyboard connector), or any modern ATX case?

I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power supply.
What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them in.

Can anyone help ?

Got an old AT style mini tower, but its been sat outside waiting for the
next time I go to the tip...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/03/2012 08:45, the_constructor wrote:

A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

Just to clarify, are you after a proper AT format case (i.e. one without
the ATX knockout, a hard switched power supply, and a big round cutout
for the 5 pin DIN keyboard connector),

This is exactly what I am looking for John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2012 12:17, the_constructor wrote:
"John wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/03/2012 08:45, the_constructor wrote:

A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

Just to clarify, are you after a proper AT format case (i.e. one without
the ATX knockout, a hard switched power supply, and a big round cutout
for the 5 pin DIN keyboard connector),

This is exactly what I am looking for John

ok, just checked the one I have... alas I had been a bit too efficient
and already binned the plastic fascia - just keeping the metalwork
(which was galvanised and is in reasonable condition in spite of being
outside)... so probably not much use to you unless you like that half
finished look!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2012 12:17, the_constructor wrote:
"John wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/03/2012 08:45, the_constructor wrote:

A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

Just to clarify, are you after a proper AT format case (i.e. one without
the ATX knockout, a hard switched power supply, and a big round cutout
for the 5 pin DIN keyboard connector),

This is exactly what I am looking for John

I was imagining someone building museum exhibits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_XT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_AT

Anyone admit to owning either?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:51:06 +0100, Part Timer wrote:

On 29/03/2012 12:17, the_constructor wrote:
"John wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/03/2012 08:45, the_constructor wrote:

A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

Just to clarify, are you after a proper AT format case (i.e. one
without the ATX knockout, a hard switched power supply, and a big
round cutout for the 5 pin DIN keyboard connector),

This is exactly what I am looking for John

I was imagining someone building museum exhibits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_XT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_AT

Anyone admit to owning either?

Sadly not any more. I did have an XT (5160) for years, and its
predecessor the 5150 - but when I moved to the US I tried to cut down on
the amount of things I'd have to ship over one day, and they're heavy
critters. I wish I'd kept them now, though (I had it in my head that it
would be reasonably easy to replace them once in the US as they would
have been more common over here, but they seem to be rather rare even
this side of the Pond).

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_AT

Anyone admit to owning either?

One of them was my first PC - I still use the Model M keyboard from
it. The machine itself was retired from a typesetting house and did
who knows how much work - never bothered it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_AT

Anyone admit to owning either?

Can only see the link to the AT - what was the other one? (original post
didn't make it here)

One of them was my first PC - I still use the Model M keyboard from it.
The machine itself was retired from a typesetting house and did who
knows how much work - never bothered it.

I had one. I also had the XT-based PC Portable - in fact, I still have it.

And the Convertible. And PS/2 - Model 30, 50, 55, 56, 57, 60, 70, P70,
80, 90, 95...!!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y
km km is offline

wrote:

A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power supply.
What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them in.

Can anyone help ?

Jim G

For many years I put together PC's for a charity and its's members.

A regular look around the local tip provided a steady supply of old
parts including whole PC's.

I suspect that as PC's have come down in price there will be a
corresponding increase in ditched systems. I never had to pay although
a couple of times I rode my luck by retrieving cases from the "dumped"
area rather than from the section where parts had been initially
placed by the public.

I would suggest "hanging around" for a while to intercept anyone
bringing in such PC's before they throw them into skips etc

km

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Here's one near me:
http://www.terc.org.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/12 08:45, the_constructor wrote:
A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

XT or AT? It makes a difference to what type of case is required.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
On 29/03/12 08:45, the_constructor wrote:
A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

XT or AT? It makes a difference to what type of case is required.

--
Bernard Peek

The computer I am building up is a 486sx25 PC AT.
I had forgotten that XT and AT cases were different.
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y
km km is offline

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:41:14 +0100, "the_constructor"
wrote:

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
.. .
On 29/03/12 08:45, the_constructor wrote:
A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

XT or AT? It makes a difference to what type of case is required.

--
Bernard Peek

The computer I am building up is a 486sx25 PC AT.
I had forgotten that XT and AT cases were different.
Jim G

Just as a matter of interest, why are you doing this?

km
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
. ..
On 29/03/12 08:45, the_constructor wrote:
A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

XT or AT? It makes a difference to what type of case is required.

--
Bernard Peek

The computer I am building up is a 486sx25 PC AT.
I had forgotten that XT and AT cases were different.
Jim G

Just as a matter of interest, why are you doing this?

I am a Radio Amateur and in order to program certain types of ex-emergency
services radio's you need to have a computer with a processor that runs
between 8 and 40 MHz and will also run MS-Dos, as the software will not run
on the more modern machines even in a DOS window.

I used to have an IBM machine as someones link showed, way back but not now.
I also used to mess around building them up from bits and passing them onto
other Radio Amateurs.Nowadays, I build PC's up from bits for people which I
scrounge from recycle groups.
-
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Bernard wrote in message
[...]

I have a 386sx 16 laptop going spare if you want it...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

wrote:

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
.. .
On 29/03/12 08:45, the_constructor wrote:
A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

XT or AT? It makes a difference to what type of case is required.

--
Bernard Peek

The computer I am building up is a 486sx25 PC AT.
I had forgotten that XT and AT cases were different.
Jim G

Just as a matter of interest, why are you doing this?

I am a Radio Amateur and in order to program certain types of ex-emergency
services radio's you need to have a computer with a processor that runs
between 8 and 40 MHz and will also run MS-Dos, as the software will not run
on the more modern machines even in a DOS window.

We've got an MS DOS machine here for doing old Kenwood TK-350 units a
few of which are still around;!...

I used to have an IBM machine as someones link showed, way back but not now.
I also used to mess around building them up from bits and passing them onto
other Radio Amateurs.Nowadays, I build PC's up from bits for people which I
scrounge from recycle groups.
-
Jim G

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Senior Member

On Mar 30, 6:09 pm, "the_constructor"
wrote:
I am a Radio Amateur and in order to program certain types of ex-emergency
services radio's you need to have a computer with a processor that runs
between 8 and 40 MHz and will also run MS-Dos, as the software will not run
on the more modern machines even in a DOS window.

Every DOS program will run in that DOS window. But, DOS has some
restructions. For example, if an enviroment area of the OS contains
too much information, then the environment overwrites the start of
that DOS program. Crashes the DOS program. Solution is to erase many
variables in the environment (ie PATH) before the DOS program runs.

Have never found a DOS program that does not run in any Windows
style OS. But some careful rules must be implemented. It may run.
Just not properly.

Problematic, though, can be software timing loops that require a
processor to run slower. Some software had patches to eliminate the
timing loops, to change them so that the loops do not overflow, or
even connect them to interrupts.

Patches may not be available. But many single board computers and
even PC104 format hardware is available. Runs on much less power in a
small container. Easier to implement. And can be slowed by simply
changing its master clock crystal or connecting it to a slow
multivibrator. That would also solve the timing loop problem. Or
even make a solution that temporary changes processor speed when slow
software must run.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
On 29/03/12 08:45, the_constructor wrote:
A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

XT or AT? It makes a difference to what type of case is required.

--
Bernard Peek

The computer I am building up is a 486sx25 PC AT.

flippin eck..windows 2?