Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "half pipe" for bottom of foul drain manhole

A little bit OT, as I'm getting a builder to do the work, but...

I'm diverting a 6-inch foul drain as part of a new build project, to
avoid building over it. I need to put a 45 degree bend in, and I'm
planning to build an inspection chamber/manhole to do this.

My builder is fine with building the manhole, but doesn't know where
to get the "half pipe" to form the bottom of the manhole where the
foul water will run.

An example of an existing manhole on this drain is he
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...r/PA184091.jpg

Is it possible to buy clay pipe sections for this, or do you buy the
pipe and cut it with an angle grinder?

I'm guessing I could get a 45-degree clay pipe bend and then cut it,
but I want to check I'm not going the wrong way about it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Caecilius wrote:
A little bit OT, as I'm getting a builder to do the work, but...

I'm diverting a 6-inch foul drain as part of a new build project, to
avoid building over it. I need to put a 45 degree bend in, and I'm
planning to build an inspection chamber/manhole to do this.

My builder is fine with building the manhole, but doesn't know where
to get the "half pipe" to form the bottom of the manhole where the
foul water will run.

An example of an existing manhole on this drain is he
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...r/PA184091.jpg

Is it possible to buy clay pipe sections for this, or do you buy the
pipe and cut it with an angle grinder?

I'm guessing I could get a 45-degree clay pipe bend and then cut it,
but I want to check I'm not going the wrong way about it.

When I rebuilt some drains in the late 1960s I had no problem getting clay
half pipes.

I note that Hepworth - large maker of underground system bits still have
them on their website - called "drainage channel". Hepworths also have a
list of stockists on the website. Probably any decent builders merchant
can supply something similar.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2012 15:59, Caecilius wrote:
A little bit OT, as I'm getting a builder to do the work, but...

I'm diverting a 6-inch foul drain as part of a new build project, to
avoid building over it. I need to put a 45 degree bend in, and I'm
planning to build an inspection chamber/manhole to do this.

My builder is fine with building the manhole, but doesn't know where
to get the "half pipe" to form the bottom of the manhole where the
foul water will run.

An example of an existing manhole on this drain is he
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...r/PA184091.jpg

Is it possible to buy clay pipe sections for this, or do you buy the
pipe and cut it with an angle grinder?

I'm guessing I could get a 45-degree clay pipe bend and then cut it,
but I want to check I'm not going the wrong way about it.

They are called channel bends and should be available through any
builders' suppliers, although possibly not from stock.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius wrote:
A little bit OT, as I'm getting a builder to do the work, but...

I'm diverting a 6-inch foul drain as part of a new build project, to
avoid building over it. I need to put a 45 degree bend in, and I'm
planning to build an inspection chamber/manhole to do this.

My builder is fine with building the manhole, but doesn't know where
to get the "half pipe" to form the bottom of the manhole where the
foul water will run.

An example of an existing manhole on this drain is he
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...r/PA184091.jpg

Is it possible to buy clay pipe sections for this, or do you buy the
pipe and cut it with an angle grinder?

I'm guessing I could get a 45-degree clay pipe bend and then cut it,
but I want to check I'm not going the wrong way about it.

You can either buy the half pipe 45d bend*, or buy a regular bend and cut an
openeing out of the top - note, it doesn't need to be split in half - a 3-4
inch wide slot about 8 inches long is more than enough to get rods in, which
is it's only function really.

*
V V expensive compared to a full bend.

You may be able to buy the pre-moulded underground plastic manhole base with
the bend you require, here's an example of one:
http://www.greengates.co.uk/images/p...e-large%29.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius wrote:
A little bit OT, as I'm getting a builder to do the work, but...

I'm diverting a 6-inch foul drain as part of a new build project, to
avoid building over it. I need to put a 45 degree bend in, and I'm
planning to build an inspection chamber/manhole to do this.

My builder is fine with building the manhole, but doesn't know where
to get the "half pipe" to form the bottom of the manhole where the
foul water will run.

you just buy a pre configured unit and set it in ballast or concrete

It really is that simple.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

An example of an existing manhole on this drain is hehttp://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...ection%20Chamb...

Is it possible to buy clay pipe sections for this, or do you buy the
pipe and cut it with an angle grinder?

I'm guessing I could get a 45-degree clay pipe bend and then cut it,
but I want to check I'm not going the wrong way about it.

Other option not yet mentioned is to freehand it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2012 15:59, Caecilius wrote:
A little bit OT, as I'm getting a builder to do the work, but...

I'm diverting a 6-inch foul drain as part of a new build project, to
avoid building over it. I need to put a 45 degree bend in, and I'm
planning to build an inspection chamber/manhole to do this.

My builder is fine with building the manhole, but doesn't know where
to get the "half pipe" to form the bottom of the manhole where the
foul water will run.

An example of an existing manhole on this drain is he
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...r/PA184091.jpg

Is it possible to buy clay pipe sections for this, or do you buy the
pipe and cut it with an angle grinder?

I'm guessing I could get a 45-degree clay pipe bend and then cut it,
but I want to check I'm not going the wrong way about it.

You can certainly get them, in plastic as well as clay. For example:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...egHalfPipe.jpg

(a couple that are sat in my shed doing nothing if you want them)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 25, 3:59*pm, Caecilius wrote:
A little bit OT, as I'm getting a builder to do the work, but...

I'm diverting a 6-inch foul drain as part of a new build project, to
avoid building over it. I need to put a 45 degree bend in, and I'm
planning to build an inspection chamber/manhole to do this.

My builder is fine with building the manhole, but doesn't know where
to get the "half pipe" to form the bottom of the manhole where the

slightly worrying??

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:00:46 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
you just buy a pre configured unit and set it in ballast or concrete

I wish it were that simple.

Thames Water, who own the drain, want a conventional inspection
chamber rather than a pre-fabricated plastic jobbie. They also want
traditional clay pipes rather than plastic.

If they're not happy, I don't think the BCO will approve it, so I need
to do what they want.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 09:56:04 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:
Other option not yet mentioned is to freehand it.

I've not heard of this method. Does it mean casting the base out of
concrete? Is that smooth enough and suficciently impermiable compared
to salt-glazed pipes?

I'm not sure Thames Water, who need to approve the job, would allow
it, but it sounds interesting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
you just buy a pre configured unit and set it in ballast or concrete

I wish it were that simple.

Thames Water, who own the drain, want a conventional inspection
chamber rather than a pre-fabricated plastic jobbie. They also want
traditional clay pipes rather than plastic.

so it will leak? is it their problem?

If they're not happy, I don't think the BCO will approve it, so I need
to do what they want.

Cnuts

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Other option not yet mentioned is to freehand it.

I've not heard of this method. Does it mean casting the base out of
concrete?

Just hand trowelling the necessary shape in situ, or as close to it as
possible.

Is that smooth enough and suficciently impermiable compared
to salt-glazed pipes?

to work, yes. Beyond that I wouldnt know.

NT

I'm not sure Thames Water, who need to approve the job, would allow
it, but it sounds interesting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Other option not yet mentioned is to freehand it.

I've not heard of this method. Does it mean casting the base out of
concrete?

Just hand trowelling the necessary shape in situ, or as close to it as
possible.

use a bit of pipe as a mold - in fact you can cast your own sections
that way..use chicke wire to help strength..

Is that smooth enough and suficciently impermiable compared
to salt-glazed pipes?

to work, yes. Beyond that I wouldnt know.

Use a relatively high ratio of cement to make it impermeable.
2:1 sand to cement plus a bit of ballast.

NT

I'm not sure Thames Water, who need to approve the job, would allow
it, but it sounds interesting.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all your help chaps. I got the channel bend from a nearby
build centre. Quite easy once I knew what it was called, although I
had to phone around a bit before I found one that did clay - lots of
places only stocked plastic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Other option not yet mentioned is to freehand it.
I've not heard of this method. Does it mean casting the base out of
concrete?

Just hand trowelling the necessary shape in situ, or as close to it as
possible.

use a bit of pipe as a mold - in fact you can cast your own sections
that way..use chicke wire to help strength..

Is that smooth enough and suficciently impermiable compared
to salt-glazed pipes?

to work, yes. Beyond that I wouldnt know.

Use a relatively high ratio of cement to make it impermeable.
2:1 sand to cement plus a bit of ballast.

and lots of lime to make it sticky

I'm not sure Thames Water, who need to approve the job, would allow
it, but it sounds interesting.

probably not. In practice though it gets lined with congealed
liquified turd, so surface finish needn't be exact.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 20:01:45 +0100, Caecilius
wrote:

Other option not yet mentioned is to freehand it.

I've not heard of this method. Does it mean casting the base out of
concrete? Is that smooth enough and suficciently impermiable compared
to salt-glazed pipes?

I've seen the result of that - it looks as if a section of pipe has
been pressed into a bed of concrete then lifted out when set. Never
actually seen one being made, though.