Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soffits/fascias/etc

Hi
Not strictly DIY unless I decide to try this myself, but...

Just had a quote for fitting white uPVC soffits/fascias/gutters/downpipes to
my house. House dimensions are approx 10x10m, two storey. Each storey would
require these fittings due to the lower room bays with tiled roofs.
I recon it's about £600 for the materials, maybe a bit more as they're not
plain soffits. I've been quoted for 3 days work for two blokes to do the
full fitting.
Can you estimate by saying about £10/hr per bloke x8 hrs/day x3 days = £500
+ I guess the company wants to make a profit.
Any experience of what you would expect to pay for this work or what you'd
expect for the whole job?
Ta.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumps wrote:
Hi
Not strictly DIY unless I decide to try this myself, but...

Just had a quote for fitting white uPVC
soffits/fascias/gutters/downpipes to my house. House dimensions are
approx 10x10m, two storey. Each storey would require these fittings
due to the lower room bays with tiled roofs. I recon it's about £600 for
the materials, maybe a bit more as
they're not plain soffits. I've been quoted for 3 days work for two
blokes to do the full fitting.
Can you estimate by saying about £10/hr per bloke x8 hrs/day x3 days
= £500 + I guess the company wants to make a profit.
Any experience of what you would expect to pay for this work or what
you'd expect for the whole job?
Ta.

There are too many unknown variables to make a decent estimate.

coverboard is cheaper than solid fascia.
white guttering and downspouts are dearer than black or brown.
£10ph is optimistic.
where's the waste going? skip?
scaffold required for any parts?
when you say both storeys need doing, are you saying that the dimensions are
40 linear metres per storey of gutter, soffit and fascia?
what do you mean not plain soffits?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message ...

Grumps wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I know it was vague - sorry.
Solid fascia.
Waste being taken away by installers.
No scaffold required.
Lower storey would require about half of upper storey (gutter, soffit &
fascia).
The soffits look like tongue-and-groove boards.

Of course it's not 40 lin m for the upper storey as two sides run at an
angle to the pointy bit of the roof (brain-fade, what's that bit called?).
So, maybe 65m all in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grumps writes
"Phil L" wrote in message ...

Grumps wrote:
[...]

So make sure they have a Waste Carriers License!

You are liable as much as they are for unlicensed waste.

We had this done 10 years ago and got a poor job which had to be
re-done. The white guttering and down pipes are a mistake that will
haunt me to my grave. They get filthy and have to be cleaned every
spring and autumn, so much for low maintenance!

We had strip vents along the back of the fascias and the new soffits had
round vents. Only problem was that the new vents weren't drilled through
into the loft so we got condensation.

Found out a month after fitting ( done in December) that the windows
wouldn't open fully as they hit the bottom of the new fascia boards.

Tried to get the company out to fix and was told that they couldn't do
anything despite a 15 years guarantee. Trading Standards wouldn't help
so ended up doing the job myself, properly.

--
Iain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumps wrote:

Yeah, I know it was vague - sorry.
Solid fascia.

Ah

Waste being taken away by installers.

They'll be charging for this

No scaffold required.

good

Lower storey would require about half of upper storey (gutter, soffit
& fascia).
The soffits look like tongue-and-groove boards.

And they will be again, except it'll probably short lengths with the grooves
running from the wall to the fascia board

Of course it's not 40 lin m for the upper storey as two sides run at
an angle to the pointy bit of the roof (brain-fade, what's that bit
called?). So, maybe 65m all in.

I've just done one that was about 20m and charged £600, 2 of us did it in
the day, almost £300 of it was for materials and we used coverboard, so your
estimate of 600 for materials is way too low, I estimate it to be nearer to
900, plus labour, plus waste removal.

My guestimate would be approx 2k

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message ...

Grumps wrote:

[...]

What's coverboard? (sorry about the quoting, OE is crap!).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumps wrote:

What's coverboard? (sorry about the quoting, OE is crap!).

Coverboard is upvc, comes in sizes 100mm to 350mm wide, it is about 10mm
thick and has a 30mm lip at one edge of it, so if you looked at it's
profile, it would be an 'L' shape.
The bottom 30mm lip goes to the underside edge of the fascia, with the
fascia itself covered by the remaining part.

If you don't use coverboard, you take off the old timbers and affix the
solid type, which is about 30mm thick all over, the coverboard just gives
this effect, but obviously it's much cheaper