Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix web site is *really* frustrating

I'm getting seriously annoyed with the Screwfix website.

The 'breadcrumb trail' of links to the item you have found by
searching is no longer a proper trail of links, although they *appear*
to be links (correct colour and underlined) they don't actually work.

So, having found http://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-clip...k-of-100/19684
I can't click on 'Pipe Clips' in the breadcrumb trail.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 24/03/12 12:53, ss wrote:
On 24/03/2012 12:34, wrote:
I'm getting seriously annoyed with the Screwfix website.

The 'breadcrumb trail' of links to the item you have found by
searching is no longer a proper trail of links, although they *appear*
to be links (correct colour and underlined) they don't actually work.

So, having found
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-clip...k-of-100/19684
I can't click on 'Pipe Clips' in the breadcrumb trail.

Works for me.

No for me. as the OP said, blue text trail looks like links but are not
clickable

!-- New css specific to a Cat ID page --
link href="/images/css/category_cat831642.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /
div class="blueBar"/div
div class="largeImageBG"/div
script type="text/javascript"
cmCreateProductviewTag("19684", "Hinge Clip 15mm Pack of 100", "cat831642", "In Stock-_--_-Screwfix-_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_-CPC-_--_--_--_--_-0.01-_-N");
/script

!--Main Content START--
div id="container-content"
p id="breadcrumb_container_top" class="breadcrum"
a href="/jsp/container.jsp;jsessionid=bGqYPtSJT0yZ259wbhrbwNt5b LyJLtqvTgh9jQ1RjYvxSgMyzvGh!-1633158614" name="breadcrumb_item_top" id="breadcrumb_item_home_top"Home/a

a id="breadcrumb_item_cat_top_1" name="breadcrumb_item_top" href="/c/heating-plumbing/cat830950"Heating & Plumbing/a

a id="breadcrumb_item_cat_top_2" name="breadcrumb_item_top" href="/c/heating-plumbing/plumbing/cat831494"Plumbing/a

a id="breadcrumb_item_cat_top_3" name="breadcrumb_item_top" href="/c/heating-plumbing/pipe-fittings/cat831504"Pipe Fittings/a

a id="breadcrumb_item_cat_top_4" name="breadcrumb_item_top" href="/c/heating-plumbing/covers-pipe-clips/cat831558"Covers & Pipe Clips/a

a id="breadcrumb_item_cat_top_5" name="breadcrumb_item_top" href="/c/heating-plumbing/pipe-clips/cat831642"Pipe Clips/a
> span name="breadcrumb_item_top" id="breadcrumb_item_product_name_top" Hinge Clip 15mm Pack of 100 /span
/p

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote:

as the OP said, blue text trail looks like links but are not clickable

Clickable here OK, most of their URLs are munged for SEO purposes

e.g. the pipe clips category URL is

http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-pl...lips/cat831642

but everything between the /c/ and the /catid is ignored, though there
has to be an something there e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/c/cat831642

The same happens with the product URLs

http://www.screwfix.com/p/talon-snap...m-chrome/91437

everything between the /p/ and the /id is ignored, e.g.

http://screwfix.com/p/p/91437

Of course you can have "fun" with the URLs so that

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-10-...win-pack/64833

becomes

http://www.screwfix.com/p/this-makit...lstation/64833

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:34:37 +0000, wrote:

I'm getting seriously annoyed with the Screwfix website.

The 'breadcrumb trail' of links to the item you have found by
searching is no longer a proper trail of links, although they *appear*
to be links (correct colour and underlined) they don't actually work.

So, having found
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-clip...k-of-100/19684
I can't click on 'Pipe Clips' in the breadcrumb trail.

I'm not sure I follow. If I click on "pipe clips" I get to here
http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-pl...lips/cat831642

Works in IE8 & Chrome.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Graham.
writes
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:34:37 +0000, wrote:

I'm getting seriously annoyed with the Screwfix website.

The 'breadcrumb trail' of links to the item you have found by
searching is no longer a proper trail of links, although they *appear*
to be links (correct colour and underlined) they don't actually work.

So, having found
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-clip...k-of-100/19684
I can't click on 'Pipe Clips' in the breadcrumb trail.

I'm not sure I follow. If I click on "pipe clips" I get to here
http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-pl...lips/cat831642

Works in IE8 & Chrome.

and Firefox & Opera.

They look like regular cold links, they work with everything turned off
too, plugins, javascript etc.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:34:37 +0000, wrote:

I'm getting seriously annoyed with the Screwfix website.

The 'breadcrumb trail' of links to the item you have found by
searching is no longer a proper trail of links, although they *appear*
to be links (correct colour and underlined) they don't actually work.

So, having found
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-clip...k-of-100/19684
I can't click on 'Pipe Clips' in the breadcrumb trail.

I'm not sure I follow. If I click on "pipe clips" I get to here
http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-pl...lips/cat831642

Works in IE8 & Chrome.

Yes, I'm the OP, it's broken in Firefox but works in IE. I think
Screwfix must be doing something wierd that breaks Firefox.

While I'm about it IE says the Screwfix site is broken and do I want
to debug it!

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm getting seriously annoyed with the Screwfix website.

The 'breadcrumb trail' of links to the item you have found by
searching is no longer a proper trail of links, although they *appear*
to be links (correct colour and underlined) they don't actually work.

So, having found
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-clip...k-of-100/19684
I can't click on 'Pipe Clips' in the breadcrumb trail.

I'm not sure I follow. If I click on "pipe clips" I get to here
http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-pl...lips/cat831642

Works in IE8& Chrome.

Yes, I'm the OP, it's broken in Firefox but works in IE. I think
Screwfix must be doing something wierd that breaks Firefox.

While I'm about it IE says the Screwfix site is broken and do I want
to debug it!

Works fine for me in Firefox 11.0 as well...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

Yes, I'm the OP, it's broken in Firefox but works in IE. I think
Screwfix must be doing something wierd that breaks Firefox.

While I'm about it IE says the Screwfix site is broken and do I want
to debug it!

Have you cleared your browser cache?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I'm getting seriously annoyed with the Screwfix website.

The 'breadcrumb trail' of links to the item you have found by
searching is no longer a proper trail of links, although they *appear*
to be links (correct colour and underlined) they don't actually work.

So, having found http://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-clip...k-of-100/19684
I can't click on 'Pipe Clips' in the breadcrumb trail.

Works here - so like many of these things you may have to resort to one of
the common operating system browsers.

--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2012 12:34, wrote:
I'm getting seriously annoyed with the Screwfix website.

The 'breadcrumb trail' of links to the item you have found by
searching is no longer a proper trail of links, although they *appear*
to be links (correct colour and underlined) they don't actually work.

So, having found
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-clip...k-of-100/19684
I can't click on 'Pipe Clips' in the breadcrumb trail.

Looks to be a font size issue, probably more of an issue to browsers on
non-microsoft platforms.

The heading row (starting Tools, Heating & Plumbing etc...) should
finish with 'More..." in yellow. However if the fonts make that
impossible by width, the LI items overflow to the next line expanding
their UL container, straight on top of the breadcrumbs which makes
them non-clickable.

Is this the same web team that work on the B&Q site?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So, having foundhttp://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-clip-15mm-pack-of-100/19684
I can't click on 'Pipe Clips' in the breadcrumb trail.

Looks to be a font size issue, probably more of an issue to browsers on
non-microsoft platforms.

The heading row (starting Tools, Heating & Plumbing etc...) should
finish with 'More..." in yellow. However if the fonts make that
impossible by width, the LI items overflow to the next line expanding
their UL container, straight on top of the breadcrumbs which makes
them non-clickable.

Is this the same web team that work on the B&Q site?

If I get problems like that I take the URL to W3C and if it looks like
it was written in Windowscript I am a gonner.

If they don't have the sense to write in a globally accepted fashion
what do they have besides low paid, part time IT staff?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2012 12:34, wrote:

[...]

er.... FSVO "work" ....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
On 24/03/2012 12:34, wrote:
I'm getting seriously annoyed with the Screwfix website.

The 'breadcrumb trail' of links to the item you have found by
searching is no longer a proper trail of links, although they *appear*
to be links (correct colour and underlined) they don't actually work.

So, having found
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-clip...k-of-100/19684
I can't click on 'Pipe Clips' in the breadcrumb trail.

Looks to be a font size issue, probably more of an issue to browsers on
non-microsoft platforms.

The heading row (starting Tools, Heating & Plumbing etc...) should
finish with 'More..." in yellow. However if the fonts make that
impossible by width, the LI items overflow to the next line expanding
their UL container, straight on top of the breadcrumbs which makes
them non-clickable.

Ah, that's it, yes - well done! I see the 'More' in yellow in Firefox
(in Linux) but not in IE (in an XP guest machine on my Linux box).

Is this the same web team that work on the B&Q site?

:-)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:22:06 +0000
Adrian C wrote:

Looks to be a font size issue, probably more of an issue to browsers
on non-microsoft platforms.

The heading row (starting Tools, Heating & Plumbing etc...) should
finish with 'More..." in yellow. However if the fonts make that
impossible by width, the LI items overflow to the next line
expanding their UL container, straight on top of the breadcrumbs
which makes them non-clickable.

That's what I thought at first, using Firefox and FreeBSD. Like the OP,
the 'breadcrumb trail' wouldn't work for me. But then I realised that
at some time in the past I'd increased the font size with CTRL+ and
Firefox obligingly remembers your preference for that site on future
visits. Pressing CTRL0 reverts to default font sizes and puts the more
box back in the right place at the right and the links worked.

The same happens with Internet Explorer if you've changed your font
size using ViewText sizeLarger in the menu.

Still bad web design practice to not cater for users changing their
preferred font sizes though.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Looks to be a font size issue, probably more of an issue to browsers
on non-microsoft platforms.

The heading row (starting Tools, Heating& Plumbing etc...) should
finish with 'More..." in yellow. However if the fonts make that
impossible by width, theLI items overflow to the next line
expanding theirUL container, straight on top of the breadcrumbs
which makes them non-clickable.

That's what I thought at first, using Firefox and FreeBSD. Like the OP,
the 'breadcrumb trail' wouldn't work for me. But then I realised that
at some time in the past I'd increased the font size withCTRL+ and
Firefox obligingly remembers your preference for that site on future
visits. PressingCTRL0 reverts to default font sizes and puts the more
box back in the right place at the right and the links worked.

If I've resized my fonts, the menu bar with the "more" box doesn't wrap
down and cover the breadcrumbs, it jut gets lost off the right hand side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

straight on top of the breadcrumbs

Sorry to be thick: what's a breadcrumb?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:40:34 +0100, Stephen wrote:

straight on top of the breadcrumbs

Sorry to be thick: what's a breadcrumb?

At a guess this is refering to the trail of "crumbs" that show the
path you have taken at the top of some webpages:

Products Big Widgets Big Widget Spares Components Washers

With a good crumb trail each section is a link and takes you to that
point in the trail.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:38:50 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

At a guess this is refering to the trail of "crumbs" that show the
path you have taken at the top of some webpages:

Products Big Widgets Big Widget Spares Components Washers

Thanks. I have seen the x y z bit on many web sites but not heard
them called breadcrumbs. Is this a widely used web design term or just
a uk-d-i-yism?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

I have seen the x y z bit on many web sites but not heard
them called breadcrumbs. Is this a widely used web design term

Pretty general, yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

At a guess this is refering to the trail of "crumbs" that show the
path you have taken at the top of some webpages:

Products Big Widgets Big Widget Spares Components Washers

Thanks. I have seen the x y z bit on many web sites but not heard
them called breadcrumbs. Is this a widely used web design term or just
a uk-d-i-yism?

It's a standard term -
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

At a guess this is refering to the trail of "crumbs" that show the
path you have taken at the top of some webpages:

Products Big Widgets Big Widget Spares Components Washers

Thanks. I have seen the x y z bit on many web sites but not heard
them called breadcrumbs. Is this a widely used web design term or just
a uk-d-i-yism?

Its fairly widely used...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 30, 7:41*pm, Stephen wrote:

Thanks. I have seen the x y z bit on many web sites but not heard
them called breadcrumbs. Is this a widely used web design term or just
a uk-d-i-yism?

It's a standard term... as used in the Hansel and Gretel fairytale. Of
course, in that story the birds ate all the crumbs rendering it
useless... so perhaps that's what's happened at Screwfix too...

Mathew

Screwfix + Site Mark UK diy 6 April 15th 10 07:45 PM
Screwfix: Makita v. Site Les Desser UK diy 13 February 3rd 10 01:14 PM
Another Frustrating Cat Question Corinne Home Repair 21 May 18th 06 07:02 AM
Screwfix site now includes instruction manuals Lobster UK diy 0 October 31st 05 10:03 AM
You Think NOT Being Able To Caulk Is Frustrating .. Paul M Home Repair 8 January 22nd 05 07:09 PM