Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ***Rant***

I'll add another rant.

Was waiting in for two deliveries today - one RM special delivery, one
from RS so not RM.

On the way down to make a cuppa, heard the door knocker go. Was the RS
delivery. And a RM card on the floor.

I asked the RS guy why he'd not used the doorbell. I have a well fitting
vestibule door so the door knocker isn't loud in the house - but there are
two proper bells one ground floor, one upstairs, which can be heard
clearly anywhere in the house. He said most doorbells don't work. That'll
be those awful radio things. Which either have flat batteries or a feeble
ring.

I'm going to put a cable tie round the knocker. ;-)

--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'll add another rant.

Free first day of spring offer. Two rants for the price of one, step
right up, step right up... ;-)

Was waiting in for two deliveries today - one RM special delivery, one
from RS so not RM.

On the way down to make a cuppa, heard the door knocker go. Was the RS
delivery. And a RM card on the floor.

The card is written out in advance in the van, and once at the door it's
quicker to post the card than wait.

I asked the RS guy why he'd not used the doorbell. I have a well fitting
vestibule door so the door knocker isn't loud in the house - but there are
two proper bells one ground floor, one upstairs, which can be heard
clearly anywhere in the house. He said most doorbells don't work. That'll
be those awful radio things. Which either have flat batteries or a feeble
ring.

I'm going to put a cable tie round the knocker. ;-)

Microswitch :-)

I'm thinking of getting one of these. Looks secure and heavy enough, and
not a too crazy price.

http://www.parcelpod.appliedstorageproducts.co.uk/

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'll add another rant.

Was waiting in for two deliveries today - one RM special delivery, one
from RS so not RM.

On the way down to make a cuppa, heard the door knocker go. Was the RS
delivery. And a RM card on the floor.

I asked the RS guy why he'd not used the doorbell. I have a well fitting
vestibule door so the door knocker isn't loud in the house - but there are
two proper bells one ground floor, one upstairs, which can be heard
clearly anywhere in the house. He said most doorbells don't work. That'll
be those awful radio things. Which either have flat batteries or a feeble
ring.

I'm going to put a cable tie round the knocker. ;-)

I've got a perfectly good doorbell but nearly all delivery drivers bang
on the door, which I find really irritating. I *think* it's because they
can't hear the bell ring, so perhaps we all need a repeater, just the
other side of the front door, to indicate the thing is working.

If it's true that lots of them don't work, I guess it's understandable
as time is money to them, well the private guys !

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:21:45 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

He said most doorbells don't work. That'll be those awful radio

things.
Which either have flat batteries or a feeble ring.

I'm going to put a cable tie round the knocker. ;-)

Can I suggest you also put a laminated card on the tie-wrap to the
effect: "Use the ****ing doorbell. It works" or other similarly
anglo-saxon words of your choice?

They'll still rap on the door. We currently have a small hand bell
hanging on a cord right next to the door with a big label "DOOR BELL"
and an arrow. Of all the callers we have had all but one have knocked
(there is no proper knocker) rather than rung the bell... We can
easily hear the bell inside with internal doors closed. Knocking,
unless fairly forceful (as in thumping...), isn't heard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/6854051268

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
Can I suggest you also put a laminated card on the tie-wrap to the
effect: "Use the ****ing doorbell. It works" or other similarly
anglo-saxon words of your choice?

I've trained myself to ignore knocks at the door, and
especially the d*****ts who rattle the letterbox.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Cap
[...]

if they bothered to ring ours they'd hear it. But they all just knock on
the door and wonder why nobody hears them.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
I'll add another rant.

I asked the RS guy why he'd not used the doorbell. I have a well fitting
vestibule door so the door knocker isn't loud in the house -
I'm going to put a cable tie round the knocker. ;-)

I've got a perfectly good doorbell but nearly all delivery drivers bang on
the door, which I find really irritating. I *think* it's because they
can't hear the bell ring, so perhaps we all need a repeater, just the
other side of the front door, to indicate the thing is working.

If it's true that lots of them don't work, I guess it's understandable as
time is money to them, well the private guys !

We have a big Victorian brass knocker on the front door, which you can't
hear at the back of the house but a fully working elec doorbell system that
we can hear all over the house
Every delivery person always went for the knocker so i welded it closed,
next day i happened to hear someone flicking the letterbox,
Why are you doing that?
your knockers broken,
But the door bell works!
never use them mate they never work.
so i have sign-written the door bell
Please Press yes it does work
and put an extra sounder on the back of the door so they can hear it
working.

But STILL most couriers will not press the bloody doorbell!

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
I'm going to put a cable tie round the knocker. ;-)

I've got a perfectly good doorbell but nearly all delivery drivers bang
on the door, which I find really irritating. I *think* it's because they
can't hear the bell ring, so perhaps we all need a repeater, just the
other side of the front door, to indicate the thing is working.

But you *can* here the doorbell here from outside - it's a proper
underdome type, not one of those wireless thingies.

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
[...]

Not just us then.
We have two bells, one upstairs, one down, on a proper hard wired
transformed from the mains set up and no knocker on a very solid wooden
front door with great big brass bell push next to it. Still they insist on
knocking, when they do the first thing I do on opening the door is press the
doorbell and say "oh it is working, I thought it was broken when I didn't
hear you ring it" That keeps them waiting for a minute before I sign for
whatever. Some delivery guys even find their way around to the garden door
into the lounge and knock on that where we have no chance of hearing them if
we are upstairs or in the kitchen.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MuddyMike wrote:
"charles" wrote in message

Some sort of note saying "press the ****ing bell" seems to be in order.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
MuddyMike wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, don't think STWNFI would agree to that!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 20/03/12 15:58, Mark wrote:
"Andy Cap" wrote in message
I'll add another rant.

[...]

Idea. fix microswitch to knocker so bell sounds when people knock.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote
MuddyMike wrote
charles wrote
Andy Cap wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

[...]

Pity its not possible to fry them with an electric fence energizer if they knock
and not if the press the bell. Or I cant think of any way to dio that, anyway.

One of those light beam things that used to be used in shop doors
etc would work tho,wouldnt matter that they knocked on or pressed.

Corse if the local kids ever got to hear about it, that could be a
problem, specially if the bell was audible from outside the door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2012 3:11 a.m., Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'll add another rant.

Was waiting in for two deliveries today - one RM special delivery, one
from RS so not RM.

On the way down to make a cuppa, heard the door knocker go. Was the RS
delivery. And a RM card on the floor.

I asked the RS guy why he'd not used the doorbell. I have a well fitting
vestibule door so the door knocker isn't loud in the house - but there are
two proper bells one ground floor, one upstairs, which can be heard
clearly anywhere in the house. He said most doorbells don't work. That'll
be those awful radio things. Which either have flat batteries or a feeble
ring.

I'm going to put a cable tie round the knocker. ;-)

More of a quibble than a rant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MuddyMike wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
MuddyMike wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
[...]

And I always ring the door bell and then knock (if I do no not hear the door
bell) when I arrive at a customers house. I give them a minute to answer the
doorbell if I cannot hear it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/20/2012 4:28 PM, djc wrote:
On 20/03/12 15:58, Mark wrote:
"Andy wrote
[...]

Brilliant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) laid this down on his screen :
I'll add another rant.

Was waiting in for two deliveries today - one RM special delivery, one
from RS so not RM.

On the way down to make a cuppa, heard the door knocker go. Was the RS
delivery. And a RM card on the floor.

I asked the RS guy why he'd not used the doorbell. I have a well fitting
vestibule door so the door knocker isn't loud in the house - but there are
two proper bells one ground floor, one upstairs, which can be heard
clearly anywhere in the house. He said most doorbells don't work. That'll
be those awful radio things. Which either have flat batteries or a feeble
ring.

I'm going to put a cable tie round the knocker. ;-)

The delivery person was lying. They don't want to wait for you to
answer the door. They want to tap on the door and then scurry away.
They hope to escape before you open the door. Some delivery services
leave the package by the door and some of them leave a note saying they
tried, but none of them want to waste time waiting for you and then
worse, talking to you.

So no note by the doorbell will matter. My suggestion is to place a
motion sensor outside of the door which senses the approaching person.
The sensor would be set to cause a sound insise like a doorbell. And
the sound should be repeated outside. And then when you hear it, run
like the wind to catch the person, and engage him in a long, sensless
conversation. That way you can get even.

McGyver

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2012 23:33, McGyver wrote:

So no note by the doorbell will matter. My suggestion is to place a
motion sensor outside of the door which senses the approaching person.
The sensor would be set to cause a sound insise like a doorbell. And the
sound should be repeated outside. And then when you hear it, run like
the wind to catch the person, and engage him in a long, sensless
conversation. That way you can get even.

Nah, electromechanically fire a tranquiliser dart...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2012 4:24 a.m., jgharston wrote:

especially the d*****ts who rattle the letterbox.

Duckwits?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2012 10:15 a.m., ARWadsworth wrote:

Hmmm, don't think STWNFI would agree to that!

Please translate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:33:30 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:

On 21/03/2012 10:15 a.m., ARWadsworth wrote:

Hmmm, don't think STWNFI would agree to that!

Please translate.

She Than Whom No Fairer Is.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I'll add another rant.

Was waiting in for two deliveries today - one RM special delivery, one
from RS so not RM.

On the way down to make a cuppa, heard the door knocker go. Was the RS
delivery. And a RM card on the floor.

I asked the RS guy why he'd not used the doorbell. I have a well fitting
vestibule door so the door knocker isn't loud in the house - but there are
two proper bells one ground floor, one upstairs, which can be heard
clearly anywhere in the house. He said most doorbells don't work. That'll
be those awful radio things. Which either have flat batteries or a feeble
ring.

I'm going to put a cable tie round the knocker. ;-)

Why not put a switch on it and sense the change of state?

And a speaker system that says "THERE'S SOMEBODY AT THE DOOR"
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nah. The speaker system should be outside: "RING THE ****ING BELL!"

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

To update my original rant, I am on hold with BT as I type on my 15th
telephone call attempting to get my original fax line number re-instated as
promised on Monday. Every time I call I am told the previous person has no
placed an order for it to be done.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:35:35 -0000, MuddyMike wrote:

To update my original rant, I am on hold with BT as I type on my 15th
telephone call attempting to get my original fax line number re-instated
as promised on Monday. Every time I call I am told the previous person
has no placed an order for it to be done.

Have you tried to contact local managers yet?

Have you started an offical complaint?

Are you just wimping out and believing that yet another teletubbie
will do what they said they are going to do? When 14 others haven't.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:35:35 -0000, MuddyMike wrote:

To update my original rant, I am on hold with BT as I type on my 15th
telephone call attempting to get my original fax line number re-instated
as promised on Monday. Every time I call I am told the previous person
has no placed an order for it to be done.

Have you tried to contact local managers yet?

Have you started an offical complaint?

Are you just wimping out and believing that yet another teletubbie
will do what they said they are going to do? When 14 others haven't.

--
Cheers
Dave.

How do I contact a local manager? I can't see any contact details on their
website.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:43:35 -0000, MuddyMike wrote:

How do I contact a local manager? I can't see any contact details on
their website.

You will have to dig deep and maybe piece snippets of information
from many sources together. Even paper ones (shock horror!) like The
Phone Book or phone bill to get local/regional address information.

Remember BT is split up into different "companies", BT Openreach do
wires and holes in ground etc. BT Retail sell services to customers,
BT Opeerate do 21CN/data stuff (I think), BT Wholesale sell services
to resellers.

I think you want BT Retail but BT Openreach are probably the ones who
actually type the commands into the system to map numbers to lines.
Might be worth raising it as a fault (Number Unobtainable when called
or what ever), that would bring BT Openreach into the loop.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , MuddyMike
scribeth thus
To update my original rant, I am on hold with BT as I type on my 15th
telephone call attempting to get my original fax line number re-instated as
promised on Monday. Every time I call I am told the previous person has no
placed an order for it to be done.

Mike

Well when they have reduced you to a dribblin wreck, then phone up Zen
and get them to take the lines over as advised...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , MuddyMike
scribeth thus
To update my original rant, I am on hold with BT as I type on my 15th
telephone call attempting to get my original fax line number re-instated
as
promised on Monday. Every time I call I am told the previous person has no
placed an order for it to be done.

Mike

Well when they have reduced you to a dribblin wreck, then phone up Zen
and get them to take the lines over as advised...
--
Tony Sayer

I almost certainly will, but I need to get the number back first, it seems
the nice Irish lady who called me back this morning following a "chat"
session has kicked an arse or two as the original dept manager has just
called me promising to sort it out.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:28:02 +0000, djc wrote:

But STILL most couriers will not press the bloody doorbell!

Idea. fix microswitch to knocker so bell sounds when people knock.

Or have the knocker operate a deadfall trap so the courier's body
trips a doorbell.

B&Q rant stuart noble UK diy 14 March 20th 12 06:59 PM
OT Rant Sam S. Home Repair 2 October 31st 05 05:37 AM
ON TOPIC (RANT) MidAmerican Extrusions (RANT) Pedro Metalworking 4 April 25th 05 11:02 PM
Rant on anon UK diy 47 September 28th 04 11:03 PM