Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grants (or equivalent) for loft insulation for elderly

My Mum is getting on a bit (90 next week), and lives on her own (she's
not in receipt of any benefits apart from pension, if that's a criteria
e.g. Warmfront has eligibility criteria). I've been checking the
insulation in her loft, and it hasn't been done for donkeys years and
could do with replacing (never mind topping up to current heights) and
the mice have done a good job in parts too, helping to let the heat out.
Where's a good place to start looking for grants or subsidised
insulation? We're probably looking for just loft insulation as
starters, wall insulation not applicable at this point. Google brings
up loads of hits, some of them looking like they want to look official
e.g. government sites but appearing distinctly un-government like on
closer inspection.
TIA
Allan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2012 12:03, Allan wrote:
My Mum is getting on a bit (90 next week), and lives on her own (she's
not in receipt of any benefits apart from pension, if that's a criteria
e.g. Warmfront has eligibility criteria). I've been checking the
insulation in her loft, and it hasn't been done for donkeys years and
could do with replacing (never mind topping up to current heights) and
the mice have done a good job in parts too, helping to let the heat out.
Where's a good place to start looking for grants or subsidised
insulation? We're probably looking for just loft insulation as starters,
wall insulation not applicable at this point. Google brings up loads of
hits, some of them looking like they want to look official e.g.
government sites but appearing distinctly un-government like on closer
inspection.
TIA
Allan

Try your local council for advice. ISTR there is something now, CERT,
that is free for the over 70's. A couple of neighbours had it done last
year included loft insulation and cavity wall and ISTR was free to them.

I attach a snippet of the Yorkshire scheme description adjusted to avoid
advertising the companies involved in doing it:

" We are trying to bring about better awareness of free loft and cavity
wall insulation which is available to people over 70, through the
government’s Carbon Emissions Reduction Target (CERT) scheme - but there
are still many people who are unaware that they are eligible. Hopefully
by advertising our free, impartial service through your communication
channels, less people will miss out on the chance for free insulation
and help with heating their homes. We are owned by York and North
Yorkshire local authorities, with nearly twenty years experience "

It sounded too good to be true but it appears to be genuine.
Link to DECC confirms there are such deals under CERT

http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cm...cert/cert.aspx

There are various sharks circling around this area too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:29:17 +0000
Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

We're both under 70, and we are having our loft insulated for free next
week, courtesy of the local gas and electric suppliers. And we have
oil-fired heating. This is in East Anglia.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:03:59 +0000, Allan wrote:

My Mum is getting on a bit (90 next week), and lives on her own (she's
not in receipt of any benefits apart from pension, if that's a criteria
e.g. Warmfront has eligibility criteria).

Age is also one of the criteria IIRC 70 means free insulation.

Where's a good place to start looking for grants or subsidised
insulation?

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/

The big snag with many of these free schemes is that you have to use
the approved cowboys rather than be given the materials and do it
yourself or choose your own trusted installer.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2012 12:29, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:03:59 +0000, Allan wrote:

My Mum is getting on a bit (90 next week), and lives on her own (she's
not in receipt of any benefits apart from pension, if that's a criteria
e.g. Warmfront has eligibility criteria).

Age is also one of the criteria IIRC70 means free insulation.

Where's a good place to start looking for grants or subsidised
insulation?

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/

The big snag with many of these free schemes is that you have to use
the approved cowboys rather than be given the materials and do it
yourself or choose your own trusted installer.

B&Q are still doing the £1 a roll subsidised stuff. About £50 for the
average semi I'd guess

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:26:18 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

The big snag with many of these free schemes is that you have to

use
the approved cowboys rather than be given the materials and do it
yourself or choose your own trusted installer.

B&Q are still doing the £1 a roll subsidised stuff. About £50 for the
average semi I'd guess

That's fine if you are able to DIY, 90 year olds probably can't so
are stuck with the approved cowboys.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/12 12:03, Allan wrote:
My Mum is getting on a bit (90 next week), and lives on her own (she's
not in receipt of any benefits apart from pension, if that's a criteria
e.g. Warmfront has eligibility criteria). I've been checking the
insulation in her loft, and it hasn't been done for donkeys years and
could do with replacing (never mind topping up to current heights) and
the mice have done a good job in parts too, helping to let the heat out.
Where's a good place to start looking for grants or subsidised
insulation?

Try asking her electricity and/or gas provider. I've had loads of
letters and leaflets from Eon abut insulation offers and such like.
Here, for example:
http://www.eonenergy.com/Janoffer.ht...ffer!&WT.svl=7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Allan
writes
My Mum is getting on a bit (90 next week), and lives on her own (she's
not in receipt of any benefits apart from pension, if that's a criteria
e.g. Warmfront has eligibility criteria). I've been checking the
insulation in her loft, and it hasn't been done for donkeys years and
could do with replacing (never mind topping up to current heights) and
the mice have done a good job in parts too, helping to let the heat
out. Where's a good place to start looking for grants or subsidised
insulation? We're probably looking for just loft insulation as
starters, wall insulation not applicable at this point. Google brings
up loads of hits, some of them looking like they want to look official
e.g. government sites but appearing distinctly un-government like on
closer inspection.
TIA
Allan

The original Warm Front leaflets had the headline -Not means tested.
the small print said - provided you are receiving one of these benefits
- all of which were, yes, means tested!
Not sure but there may be an age related qualification.
Has your mother ever checked if she is entitled to any benefits? Don't
rely on the lying *******s from DWP. Go to local Age UK? Age Concern or
CAB. Also good for grant advice
Good place to start looking on line for grant info is either directgov
or the energy supplier websites. They are generally reasonably honest.
Beware the snake oil salesmen.

BTW you mother is entitled to a Blue Badge without assessment at 90 -
and she doesn't need to drive or even own a car.
And tell her from me I don't want to hear any of this "I don't want
charity" crap.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:08:40 +0000, hugh wrote:

Has your mother ever checked if she is entitled to any benefits? Don't
rely on the lying *******s from DWP.

The benefits system is large and complex, people dealing with
pensions can't really be expected to know all the other things that
might be available. Off the top of my head, things that she or those
caring for her might be able to get Age related Pension Credit,
Pension Credit, Disabilty Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance,
Winter Fuel Payment, I'm sure there will be a number of others.

Go to local Age UK? Age Concern or CAB.

Not sure that any of the ladies in our Age UK would have accurate
and/or uptodate information. The CAB might or at least know where to
start looking or what questions to ask.

BTW you mother is entitled to a Blue Badge without assessment at 90 -
and she doesn't need to drive or even own a car.

Aye, if you can get a Blue Badge do so, it's for you not a particular
vehicle that you have to drive. It's so that who ever takes you to
the supermarket or WHY can use a "disabled" space.

And tell her from me I don't want to hear any of this "I don't want
charity" crap.

That might be hardest battle of all.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 23:29:57 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

The CAB might or at least know where to
start looking or what questions to ask.

Be a shadow of its former self, then.
The CAB housed some of the finest DWP-botherers in the land, when I
was working with them. They had the Yellow Book, within which lay the
rules of eligibility for claimants and if the DHSS ****ed up we would
point them to the chapter and verse of how they should be paying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 22:00:30 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

The CAB might or at least know where to
start looking or what questions to ask.

Be a shadow of its former self, then.
The CAB housed some of the finest DWP-botherers in the land, when I
was working with them. They had the Yellow Book, within which lay the
rules of eligibility for claimants and if the DHSS ****ed up we would
point them to the chapter and verse of how they should be paying.

In our local CAB we have a guy dedicated to helping older people claim
all benefits. In 4 years he has obtained on an annualised basis nearly
£4million extra.

It does boil down to individuals in local offices - some are very,
very good and some are hopeless. We used to get some volunteers who
were actually too timorous for the job, in that they couldn't make a
fuss on behalf of a client. Otoh, some of them came in ready for a
fight and we trained them up, pointed them at the LA/DHSS/etc and let
them rip. Sometimes a dear little old lady whose mouth wouldn't melt
butter would turn out to be a tremendous advocate for the downtrodden,
all while sounding like she'd just left her finishing school last
week.
We also had a ****-hot lawyer (who was available for several offices)
who was carving a name out for herself in Rights Law - by crackey, she
was like a Rottie.

When you get a CAB office with all of the above, it really punches
above its weight, but sometimes an office will be staffed by genteel
souls who really haven't a clue - much to the despair of some fellow
CABbies I worked with, when they heard that some desperate claimant
had been told they couldn't be helped by some useless bugger in
another office.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My Mum is getting on a bit (90 next week), and lives on her own (she's
not in receipt of any benefits apart from pension, if that's a criteria
e.g. Warmfront has eligibility criteria). I've been checking the
insulation in her loft, and it hasn't been done for donkeys years and
could do with replacing (never mind topping up to current heights) and
the mice have done a good job in parts too, helping to let the heat out.
Where's a good place to start looking for grants or subsidised
insulation? We're probably looking for just loft insulation as
starters, wall insulation not applicable at this point. Google brings
up loads of hits, some of them looking like they want to look official
e.g. government sites but appearing distinctly un-government like on
closer inspection.
TIA
Allan

EDF
http://www.edfenergy.com/products-se...sulation.shtml

in the Manchester area there is a 'toasty' scheme to encourage people.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

wrote:

[...]

I just got mine for free cavity wall and loft ins.
It is with the Mark group, also got another free leaflet with the local
council.
Check around you should find a free one.

PITA cold callers about insulation grants brass monkey UK diy 35 July 31st 11 12:35 AM
HELP PLEASE - What Loft Insulation Rick[_6_] UK diy 18 January 27th 09 10:30 PM
Loft insulation. Warm loft, colder bedrooms? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 27th 07 07:52 PM
loft insulation Tricia UK diy 16 August 25th 06 01:07 PM
Insulation on loft roof - insulation blankets...? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 10 April 18th 05 09:55 PM