Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solid wood floors over concrete.

Thanks for the helpful replies to my earlier question about house
buying and surveyors; in the end I've made an offer on a house without
employing a surveyor. I gave it a thorough looking over and talked to
neighbours on the same estate and judged that I would rely on my own
observations.
I'm thinking about laying a solid oak floor in the lounge. At
present it is carpeted. Has anyone done this?
The Wickes' website has a video showing how easy it is! The just
cover the floor with a 5mm fibre underlay and then lay the tongued and
grooved planks on to of this, just using glue on the t & g joints and
leaving an expansion gap all round.
Another system is to use a rubbery underlay with a sticky upper
surface and then lay the planks on this; the planks are held in place by
the sticky surface of the underlay.
A neighbour is currently laying such a floor using bitumen to hold
the planks in place; (don't like the sound of this much, but there was
already a bitumen layer from an old parquet floor which they removed.)

Any comments?

--
Chris Holford
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 16, 9:56*pm, Chris Holford
wrote:
* * *Thanks for the helpful replies to my earlier question about house
buying and surveyors; in the end I've made an offer on a house without
employing a surveyor. I gave it a thorough looking over and talked to
neighbours on the same estate and judged that I would rely on my own
observations.
* * *I'm thinking about laying a solid oak floor in the lounge. At
present it is carpeted. Has anyone done this?
* * *The Wickes' website has a video showing how easy it is! The just
cover the floor with a 5mm fibre underlay and then lay the tongued and
grooved planks on to of this, just using glue on the t & g joints and
leaving an expansion gap all round.

You might well need a DPM as well. You will need a level floor - and
your existing one is almost certainly not level enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

You really need to assess all the work needed and do things in a
logical order.
Some of the work is boring but you will save yourself a lot of dosh in
the long run. Don't rush into the high visibilty things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Holford wrote:
[...]

I've used the sticky stuff, but this was going over a wooden suspended
floor.
It's a bit tricky to start with, getting the cellophane off the sticky bit,
and then you need an overlap, lay 3 or 4 boards and then pull the overlap
from undernath, to expose the underside of the boards to the adhesive.
It's not like laying laminate flooring - the boards come in about 5 or 6
different lengths and they are T&G, the chap I laid them for got them off
the interweb, but I'm not sure where.