Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reversed flow and return to radiator

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 01:34:13 -0000
"Lieutenant Scott" wrote:

Someone was telling me that it's important to connect the flow and
return to the right ends of a radiator. But I cannot see a problem
in water running the wrong way.

"The wrong way" would mean water flowing into the radiator through
the balance valve and out through the thermostatic valve, but the
radiator is symmetrical, and the valves are not one way (are they?),
so what would be the problem?

The reason this came up is I'm plumbing in a new radiator and I've
not marked which pipe is which that I've threaded out of sight under
the floor. Although I can actually tell which is which as it's HEP
pipe with metre markings on it, I wondered if I really have to know?

The online spec. for my valves says they can be used either way. In
industrial pipework, the throttling valve is always put on the leaving
side.
--
Davey.