Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Raspberry Pi Feedback

Hi all

For those following the Raspberry Pi/Humble Pi threads, I thought it might
be interesting to try to get some feedback on the level of interest in the
device in schools. Granted this is only one teenage take on the situation,
but I asked my lad about them at dinner time. He is 17 and a bit of an
academic, not really interested in engineering/product design etc. Even so,
I expected he would know of a few interested mates that would be getting
involved with these.

Absolutely no idea! Hasn't heard of them and doesn't see why anyone would
be interested. Like most these days, he sees computers as software engines
only (Office, games etc) rather than controllers and interface devices etc.

What really amazed me was when I questioned him about computer science (as
distinct from "IT") and whether the guys taking this course to A level were
likely to be interested. Apparently the school has dropped this option as
there were only 2 students interested in taking it!

The school he attends is one of the top comprehensives in the area with
approx 2000 pupils, so maybe there is a leaning toward academia (rightly or
wrongly).

Do any other members of the group have teenage kids to report their interest
(or lack of it) in these devices, or computer applications in general?

Phil

DIY ideas for Raspberry Pi? Bob Eager[_2_] UK diy 363 March 17th 12 09:55 PM
Looking for feedback... Larry[_7_] Woodworking 14 February 9th 10 02:54 PM
some feedback.. blackbat UK diy 1 April 11th 07 11:19 PM
feedback Richard Electronics 1 November 6th 06 10:38 PM
feedback Richard Electronics 1 June 16th 05 10:55 PM