Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wallpapering on fresh plaster

Hi,

I have plastered a room as best as I could

I hope to hang wallpaper but I am not sure whether I need to apply
something to the plaster first. I understand if painting the plaster
you should use a mist coat of either water or 50:50 water/emulsion but
I am unsure what the rules are when papering?

Can I just size it with watered-down wallpaper paste or should I use
50:50 water/emulsion as for painting?

In the past I have used 2.5L tubs of plaster primer but I noticed at
B&Q these are now quite expensive. (£10ish for 2.5L IIRC)

I have heard people say that B&Q value emulsion is very watery and no
use for painting with! I don't know how true that is, but I thought it
might do as a cheaper alternative for priming. I think the price is
about the same except you get 5L for your money rather than 2.5L. I
suppose that if you are diluting the paint, you actually get 10L for
the price of 2.5L of primer.

What does the group recommend?

TIA

How should I go about painting fresh plaster? DDS UK diy 19 January 21st 12 06:45 PM
Wallpapering onto plaster with paint patches. The Night Tripper[_2_] UK diy 11 January 6th 09 08:45 PM
Inexpensive way to prime plasterboard and plaster, prior to wallpapering? Mike D UK diy 4 June 25th 07 04:28 PM
wallpapering new plaster Neil UK diy 4 August 23rd 05 11:39 AM
Tiling on fresh plaster Dave UK diy 2 January 12th 05 11:26 AM