Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ring mains

The subject of British ring mains came up in another group
(alt.usage.english). When it was said that nobody really knew the
history, one contributor came up with this explanation, which I
reproduce here for your entertainment.

#[nobody knows the history]
#
#I think I do. (some Brit in the know explained it to me long ago)
#The savings in copper is with respect to a hypothetical situation
#that never existed, and never came to be.
#(sorry this is really to technical and off topic for aue,
#but here we are)
#The idea was that Brits, forever shivering in their damp,
#uninsulated, solid stone walled houses you know,
#needed 5 kW electric heaters to get comfy.
#Now for 5 kW you need 30 A fuses,
#and for safety, having 30 A fuses requires 6 mm^2 wiring.
#(the heavy wire is needed because circuit resistance
#must be low enough to melt a fuse promtly, in case of a fault.)
#Fuses were the only safety available at the time.
#
#Now copper, for a star wiring in 6 mm^2,
#to wherever you may want heat
#was prohibitively expensive, by 1945 standards.
#So the bright idea was to have a ring of 2.5 mm^2 wire,
#fused with 30 A. This is fine if the ring is unbroken,
#with current to the fault going both ways.
#If the ring is interrupted you have a very dangerous situation:
#a short in effectively unprotected wiring.
#(2.5 mm^2 behind a 30 A fuse that requires 150 A to blow promptly)
#
#So it was decided to ameliorate that by having fused plugs as well,
#as back-up for the inherently unsafe main wiring,
#since the mains fuse can't be relied upon to cut out
#when an appliance is faulty.
#
#The sequel: the 5 kW heaters never materialized.
#(the impoverished Brits couldn't afford them,
# and the 'too cheap to meter' power never arrived)
#and Britain is stuck with an inherently unsafe wiring method
#that may actually waste copper.
#(you could save copper and gain safety
#by leaving out part of the ring, and by using the two halves
#as branches of a star, fused with 2x16A instead of 1x30A)
#
#It was a typical case of technocracy runnng wild,
#without informed public debate about the basic assumptions
#underlying it as feedback.
#More briefly, a muddle.

--
Mike Barnes

Ring Mains; ends to different breakers? [email protected] UK diy 19 May 18th 06 05:43 PM
Two ring mains for kitchen ? Ian_m UK diy 7 January 18th 06 06:33 PM
Extending ring mains Grant UK diy 51 September 13th 05 03:52 PM
Will this oven go on the ring mains?? AndyW UK diy 18 April 18th 05 03:46 PM
Ring mains and consumer unit David UK diy 2 January 14th 04 04:36 PM