Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ceiling rose position

Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason? Her
indoors seems to think it was to throw light on the dressing table,
which would make sense in an all female household I suppose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason? Her
indoors seems to think it was to throw light on the dressing table,
which would make sense in an all female household I suppose.

I have always thought that it was so that if you were in the room at
night any shadows would not be cast on the curtains to be visible from
outside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 8, 3:22*pm, Andrew May wrote:

I have always thought that it was so that if you were in the room at
night any shadows would not be cast on the curtains to be visible from
outside.

I thought it might be more to imitate the natural light received
during the day.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote
Andrew May wrote

I have always thought that it was so that if you were
in the room at night any shadows would not be cast
on the curtains to be visible from outside.

I thought it might be more to imitate the natural light received during the day.

Yeah, I bet thats the reason myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2012 15:22, Andrew May wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason? Her
indoors seems to think it was to throw light on the dressing table,
which would make sense in an all female household I suppose.

I have always thought that it was so that if you were in the room at
night any shadows would not be cast on the curtains to be visible from
outside.

That's what I was told at the Birmingham Back-to-Backs: it's to avoid
casting a silhouette on the curtains.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bartram wrote
Andrew May wrote
stuart noble wrote

Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the
centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason? Her indoors seems to think it was to throw
light on the dressing table, which would make sense in an all female household I suppose.

I have always thought that it was so that if you were in the room at night any shadows would not be cast on the
curtains to be visible from outside.

That's what I was told at the Birmingham Back-to-Backs: it's to avoid casting a silhouette on the curtains.

Sounds like an urban myth to me. You dont get much in the way
of a silhouette with a ceiling light and why would you give a damn
about a shadow on the curtain anyway ? Its not as if you'd get a
silhouette on the curtain if you are say ****ing with the lights on etc
unless you actually have her up against the curtain standing up etc
and you'd still get a silhouette of that with the offset light anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What you fail to understand here is that before these houses, ceilings were
high and then you would not get a shadow, but in the more modern houses,
with lower ceilings and thus lower lights, you could get shadows of ladies
undressing.
Brian

Email:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Chris Bartram wrote
Andrew May wrote
stuart noble wrote

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Chris Bartram wrote
Andrew May wrote
stuart noble wrote

[...]

I'm not convinced.

Didnt people have much heavier lined curtains in those days ?

Those would stop any shadows being visible from outside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote
stuart noble wrote

Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the
centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason? Her indoors seems to think it was to throw
light on the dressing table, which would make sense in an all female household I suppose.

I have always thought that it was so that if you were in the room at night any shadows would not be cast on the
curtains to be visible from outside.

Dunno, I dont ever recall seeing any shadows on curtains with the more common central lights.

And thats from the days when there was normally just one light in bedrooms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason? Her
indoors seems to think it was to throw light on the dressing table,
which would make sense in an all female household I suppose.

I have always understood it was so that the light came from much the
same direction by night as by day. That would make positioning work
areas, something like a sewing chair for example, although it could also
be a dressing table, simpler. The lamp might only be 15W or 25W, so
direction was probably more obvious, particularly if, to judge by the
layers of paint I have taken off various houses, dark brown was a
favourite interior colour.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in this day
and age.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical
30s semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in
the centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical
reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in this
day and age.

Bottom right of this one

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...ent=img157.jpg

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q.../?action=view¤...

--
Adam

Heh Heh. Where did you get that book? Must be a treasure by now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Mar 8, 6:11 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this
typical 30s semi I'm working on are set near the windows
rather than in the centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or
is there a practical reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in
this day and age.

Bottom right of this one

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q.../?action=view¤...

--
Adam

Heh Heh. Where did you get that book?

It was left it in a will.

Must be a treasure by now.

Well I love it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Bottom right of this one
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q.../?action=view¤...

Building & Construction Standards, 1952? I've got that!
Along with my *6*th edition IEE regs

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 8, 6:11*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical
30s semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in
the centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical
reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in this
day and age.

Bottom right of this one

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q.../?action=view¤...

How many visitors to that page got a pop up telling them they were the
100,000th visitor to that page?

That picture must have been online as soon as the book was printed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:
stuart noble wrote:
On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical
30s semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in
the centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical
reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in this
day and age.

Bottom right of this one

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...ent=img157.jpg

Do you have to sign up in order to see the image in-focus?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2012 23:37, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
writes:
stuart noble wrote:
On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical
30s semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in
the centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical
reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in this
day and age.

Bottom right of this one

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...ent=img157.jpg

Do you have to sign up in order to see the image in-focus?

Just click on it...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2012 18:11, ARWadsworth wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical
30s semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in
the centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical
reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in this
day and age.

Bottom right of this one

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...ent=img157.jpg

Brilliant! Thanks for that.
You do realise this means my other half was right all along? Not
something we wish to encourage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this
typical 30s semi I'm working on are set near the windows
rather than in the centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or
is there a practical reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in
this day and age.

Bottom right of this one

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...ent=img157.jpg

Brilliant! Thanks for that.
You do realise this means my other half was right all along? Not
something we wish to encourage.

Just don't tell her:-)

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...ent=img158.jpg

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2012 17:16, stuart noble wrote:
On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in this day
and age.

I always thought it was to simulate the direction of sun light.

How about; why do doors open into rooms instead of against the wall?
IYSWIM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 08/03/2012 17:16, stuart noble wrote:
On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this
typical 30s semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather
than in the centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a
practical reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in
this day and age.

I always thought it was to simulate the direction of sun light.

How about; why do doors open into rooms instead of against the wall?
IYSWIM.

I know of two possible answers.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 08/03/2012 17:16, stuart noble wrote:
On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in this day
and age.

I always thought it was to simulate the direction of sun light.

How about; why do doors open into rooms instead of against the wall?
IYSWIM.

That's easy, it's to give the occupants time to hide the maltesers instead
of being caught in the headlights
I was taught that doors open in the best direction to 'protect' the room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 18:59:45 -0000, brass monkey wrote:

Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this

typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the

centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical
reason?

Donno but the orginal light fitting in my parents 30's semi where ina
similar position.

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in

this
day and age.

Ah but peoples perceptions have changed so have window coverings but
quite a few don't seem to realise how things change when the light
levels inside/outside alter at night. Thin curtains may as well not
be there at night...

How about; why do doors open into rooms instead of against the

wall?
IYSWIM.

That's easy, it's to give the occupants time to hide the maltesers
instead of being caught in the headlights
I was taught that doors open in the best direction to 'protect' the
room.

Having just had half a dozen doors hung the only one that "protects"
the room is the bathroom one, all the others open against the wall so
as not to waste space or get in the way when open.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2012 17:16, stuart noble wrote:
On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in this day
and age.

I always thought it was to simulate the direction of sun light.

How about; why do doors open into rooms instead of against the wall?
IYSWIM.

That was to give the person undressing time to shout!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2012 22:33, John Rumm wrote:
On 08/03/2012 17:16, stuart noble wrote:
On 08/03/2012 16:14, Hepcat wrote:
On 08/03/2012 15:15, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

Thanks guys. Whatever the reasons, they no longer seem valid in this day
and age.

I always thought it was to simulate the direction of sun light.

How about; why do doors open into rooms instead of against the wall?
IYSWIM.

That was to give the person undressing time to shout!

I always thought that was to stop the doorknob banging against the wall,
but this is more convincing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hepcat wrote
stuart noble wrote

Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the
centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason?

Reduce silhouettes on the curtain

I'm not convinced you get much sillouette on the curtain with a light on the ceiling.

And why would you care anyway ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason? Her
indoors seems to think it was to throw light on the dressing table,
which would make sense in an all female household I suppose.

Dunno, my gut reaction is that its more likely to be because when
done that way, its closer to the daytime situation where the light
comes from the windows.

Dunno why its so unusual tho, cant say I have ever seen rooms done that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 8, 3:15*pm, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason? Her
indoors seems to think it was to throw light on the dressing table,
which would make sense in an all female household I suppose.

It was very common in days of yore. Probably for the reasons listed
above.
The wiring wants looking at, probaby original to the house.
It must be dodgy by now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Mar 8, 3:15 pm, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the
centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical
reason? Her indoors seems to think it was to throw light on the
dressing table, which would make sense in an all female household I
suppose.

It was very common in days of yore. Probably for the reasons listed
above.
The wiring wants looking at, probaby original to the house.
It must be dodgy by now.

I doubt it is the orininal wiring:-)

The electricians probably rewired to the same spot to save damaging the
ceiling. I always ask the customer what they want to do when rewiring such
houses.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2012 18:47, ARWadsworth wrote:
harry wrote:
On Mar 8, 3:15 pm, stuart wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the
centre of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical
reason? Her indoors seems to think it was to throw light on the
dressing table, which would make sense in an all female household I
suppose.

It was very common in days of yore. Probably for the reasons listed
above.
The wiring wants looking at, probaby original to the house.
It must be dodgy by now.

I doubt it is the orininal wiring:-)

The electricians probably rewired to the same spot to save damaging the
ceiling. I always ask the customer what they want to do when rewiring such
houses.

Yep. All pvc wiring, but still with fuses. There's a sparks on the case
so that's one aspect I'm not going to think about.
I might have to do something about the loft insulation though. How can
people spend over a grand on a Smeg cooker, have a power shower fitted,
and yet be happy with barely an inch of fibreglass over just half the
loft? 16 x B&Q triple packs delivered for £68 sounds like it will be
money well spent
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 8, 3:15*pm, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason? Her
indoors seems to think it was to throw light on the dressing table,
which would make sense in an all female household I suppose.

It is the same in Victorian houses, so I guess it follows where the
gas lamps were put before electric ligh came along. I had always
thought the reason was so the light came from the window direction so
that chairs would not need moving after dark.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:15:45 PM UTC, stuart noble wrote:
Just wondering why all the bedroom ceiling roses in this typical 30s
semi I'm working on are set near the windows rather than in the centre
of the rooms. Was it a fashion or is there a practical reason? Her
indoors seems to think it was to throw light on the dressing table,
which would make sense in an all female household I suppose.

I thought that was the case too. The house we bought was my wifes grandparents, and I rewmember being there when the dressing table was in front of the window with the pendant hanging over, so it seemed obvious.
Simon.